Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kukov

What puzzle broke you?

I really, really wanted to finish my playthrough without looking at hints. After all, I beat the game back in 1998 without cheating, and I was convinced I could do it again.

Up until this point I had been stuck on a few things (sign in the woods, didn't pick up the can opener because his head wasn't obviously looking at it), but nothing like this - I had just spent the last hour in that sorry adventure-game-state where I said, "Screw it" and went around to EVERY character in every scene and tried every inventory item with everything them... and still, nothing.

The part I was stuck at was trying to figure out how to get the tools from the bees. I knew they had tools. I knew the tools would be used by Glottis. And I knew the bees were having union troubles. But... that's it.

After an hour of trying every item on every character and STILL not having made any progress I gave up. I went online and checked out a hint system.

And man... I wish I could say the solution feels obvious - it does - but I really don't think I EVER would have figured that out, even with trying every item on everything.

SPOILERS FOR BEE TOOLS PUZZLE

You see, when trying every item on every character, I really don't think I ever would have thought to try and interact again with the patrons of the jazz club. And if I did try to interact with them, I probably wouldn't have thought to show them the note.

In retrospect it all makes sense - HOWEVER, the key piece of information - that the bees were looking for the right words - was delivered to me once, two weeks ago (in real time) and never mentioned again. I totally forgot the bees were looking for the right words. That clue right there "word" would have been enough to point me in the right direction - but it never came up again and I really don't know if I ever would have figured it out.

Still love the game. Still having a blast. But man... I wish I could have said I completed it without caving.

What about you guys? What was the puzzle that broke you?

Don't laugh, but I got stuck in Act 1, trying to get into the mail-sorter chamber.

I was overthinking the puzzle; I thought I had to explode the lock off the door after the quip about the fire extinguisher chemicals and the sealing foam being an explosive mix (a red herring?) or jam some (outside) object in the door to keep it from shutting. I had quite the facepalm when I finally broke down and consulted a walkthrough, to learn I only had to interact with the door itself to engage the deadbolt. Oi.

I'm proud to say that overthinking puzzle solutions is about the only time I ever get stuck on adventure games, otherwise I'm a regular wiz at these things... that, or when I know what to do but I'm not performing the task in the right specific way.

The puzzle that always used to break me was the ticket stub puzzle... but I remembered enough to figure it out this time around.

I remember that I did get stuck on two occasions this time, but I can't remember where they were. Dang.

The puzzles in Grim are often very difficult, but they're always logical, thankfully (unlike Sam & Max: Hit the Road, for example).

Thinking back to '98 is hard... but definitely remember being stuck for ages not knowing how to get the key out of the case.

@Kukov:

Well, but you didn't really used every item on every person than ^^

But i remember i had a hard time the first time i played grim there too ^^ those guys in the blue casket, i didn't had them on my radar aswell back than ^^ i thought there more like in game jokes and so i didn't even cared about them later.

In gerneral:

I remember the puzzles i had problems with 2002 because it was those i spend the most time with, obviously ^^

So the Sign Puzzle was hard for me aswell. But somehow i thought this time, i would need it on the way back to El Marrow. ^^

So this time i was like: Ahhh that sign, i don't even care, i gonne need it in like year 4 xD

Haha man was i wrong. But i still got the solution in mind ^^

2002 i was allready making a map of the portals and which one i would come out than and was thinking like: If i am using every portal once and none a second time, that will obviously bring me to rubacarva ^^ nah. ^^ Later added the sign into this whole thinking, it became quite complicated, as i put the sign every time to another portal ... yhea, i found the solution that way sooner or later anyway xD

And the ticket stub puzzle! I NEVER figured it out! Never! Cause okay, there 6 : 6 on the photo. So i put the 6 simply somewhere. The second week i found aswell. But the only way i did explain to me how to get the accurate day was like: okay, there just 7 days in a week, some one would have tried all, or what?

I also don't know what that 6 : 6 on the photo even ment. And i also never knew if i was supposed doing anything with that #144???

The thing is that bugging me, i allways looked it up. But it never has been explained. It was just allways that: Type in ... and that was it.

I mean, second week, know where i find it. But the rest?

The funniest thing is, on every playthrough i watched, they ended their video at that problem, and than in the next video they all got the solution magically working just like that xD ( i was really exited about that part in the playthroughs xD)

Haha and i am was like allways: Okay, damn! Who was that one guy that was the only one - ever - solving this puzzle but never explained anyone how to do it xD just told the numbers! ^^

But still, i am happy having not solved all easter eggs yet and how to find out what day was supposed to be the right one. So there is, even as i know every puzzle by now again, something for future playthroughs. ^^ don't spoil it xD

But yhea, the ticket stub puzzle, i in fact never solved it, but it's the only puzzle i didn't solved this time really (still: Don't spoil it xD)

But i got really really good memorie for unimportand stuff. So things like movies and games. I have a very detailed memorie ^^

This year i didn't have to knot my brain at all ^^ i got some "mhhhhhm, how did this one work" moments. But they never really was long.

Okay I'm not 100% on this, but for the ticket stub puzzle I believe **Tuesday comes from the fact that it's Kitty Hat Day, as mentioned by the grumpy ticket guy. In the photo, everyone is wearing what I guess would be kitty hats.**

As for me, the first time I had to break out a walkthrough was for the puzzle involving Naranja's dogtags in Year 2. After giving him the stink water, I thought that was the end of his involvement in the game and I could board the ship no problem. I didn't even connect the dogtags with Membrillo's speech since it took a while between the two happening.

I feel like checking out a walkthrough again for the safe where Meche is being held in Year 3 but I just can't bring myself to do it. I just KNOW there's something I failed to notice in an NPC's speech or hotspot observation or something like I did previously. Half the fun is figuring stuff out, so maybe I'll just start a new game

You haven't missed anything, Carl. Did you find Meche yet or are you still looking for her? If you haven't found her, it's not obvious what you have to do, but it might help to think about **which state the room was in before you went in to find her.** The next phase of the puzzle has a hint to solving it that I actually don't think I noticed on my last couple of playthroughs.

EDIT: Oh, apparently spoiler tags don't work here.

I got stuck in act 3.

SPOILER

You need to use the axe in order to break the floor tile in Domino's safe. Unfortunately, Manny does NOT look at the tile, so I supposed there was nothing to interact with.

SPOILER

MOD EDIT: Edited to hide spoiler - flesk

^ I took the liberty of hiding your spoiler. I hope you don't mind. For some reason spoiler tags don't work on this sub forum, but I believe it has been flagged to the higher-ups.

^ I took the liberty of hiding your spoiler. I hope you don't mind. For some reason spoiler tags don't work on this sub forum, but I believe it has been flagged to the higher-ups.

No prob. :-)

Stopping the wine elevator in year 2. Cheated on that.

I have trouble doing that puzzle, even when I know the solution :/

The Axe on floor tiles puzzle. I remembered how to trigger the sprinkler water flow, but strangely, using the axe on the correct tile did nothing. I had to look up in the walkthru, if I have forgotten anything. It did not help. Strangely, once I used the axe on a tile NEXT to the correct one, the correct tile opened up.

The Axe on floor tiles puzzle. I remembered how to trigger the sprinkler water flow, but strangely, using the axe on the correct tile did nothing. I had to look up in the walkthru, if I have forgotten anything. It did not help. Strangely, once I used the axe on a tile NEXT to the correct one, the correct tile opened up.

Was that with mouse controls? With tank controls it makes perfect sense that you need to be standing on an adjacent tile, but I don't know how they solved it with the mouse controls.

@Kukov:

And the ticket stub puzzle! I NEVER figured it out! Never! Cause okay, there 6 : 6 on the photo. So i put the 6 simply somewhere. The second week i found aswell. But the only way i did explain to me how to get the accurate day was like: okay, there just 7 days in a week, some one would have tried all, or what?

I also don't know what that 6 : 6 on the photo even ment. And i also never knew if i was supposed doing anything with that #144???

The thing is that bugging me, i allways looked it up. But it never has been explained. It was just allways that: Type in ... and that was it.

I mean, second week, know where i find it. But the rest?

might contain SPOILERS ahead

Hope I'm not too late. I won't spoil it, but the hint to the week day is on the hats people are wearing at the photograph of the cat race. They mention that there's one day in the week that is hat day

might contain SPOILERS ahead

Hope I'm not too late. I won't spoil it, but the hint to the week day is on the hats people are wearing at the photograph of the cat race. They mention that there's one day in the week that is hat day

The announcer at the cat races should always be repeating that fact in the background, but at the moment there's a bug. You also get the same information from Doug, though.

Yes! Doug says that too! I remembered it was the announcer and someone else. Getting old sucks! haha

To my great shame and embarrassment, I finally had to give up and consult google in just Act 1. I got into the mail sorter just fine, and I figured out that I needed to put the playing card into the slot to stop the tube, but I couldn't figure what I was supposed to do about the air pressure.

I knew I had to do something to the machine or the card. I tried all kinds of things to affect the machine, but nothing worked. For the card, I was assuming I had to do something to harden it. But the thing that really held me back was that I didn't realize I could mess with the stuff on Eva's desk, so I wasn't even conscious of there being a hole puncher, let alone thinking of using it. I had no idea it existed, and my eyes just passed over it again and again like it was mere background art.

I think maybe part of the reason for that is because of the two different camera angles for the desk. For some reason, I didn't like standing at Eva's desk without being able to see Eva, so before I began interacting with Eva or her desk, I would always move around to the "better" angle where I could see Eva and the entire desk. It never even occurred to me to look at the stuff on her desk from that other camera angle.

I did make it through the game without walkthroughs and hints, but I admit I was very tempted to use them at times.

I had no prior experience with the game (never played the original) so it was all new to me. The mail sorter was the first bit I got stuck on for a while, I remember. It took me a while to notice that the lock was actually selectable!

I also got completely confused in Year 2 with the whole betting thing. I made the guy leave long before I needed to, and then wondered if maybe I needed to make another person leave (the lady in the corner), all because the other guy betting is selectable, and when you try to talk to him he says "not while he's losing". So that made me think I needed to make the other one either leave or just start losing. For ages I was messing around trying to make something happen! Eventually I decided to leave that puzzle for the time being and see if there was anything else I could be doing. When I got to the end of Year 2 (as in, when you actually do have to rig the roulette game) I noticed the first guy was back. That's what made me think that I probably didn't need to get rid of him as early on as I did, and finally confirmed my suspicions when I played the game for my second time (while trying to get all the achievements I missed first time round). So yeah, a lot of time was wasted there for me!

Year 2 was generally a difficult one I found. I also puzzled over the poetry thing for a while, convinced I was meant to say a few lines in a certain order and then get Olivia to perform it, thinking that would make something happen. My theory was, I would come up with a terrible poem, Olivia would then steal it from me, the crowd would hiss at her and then the guys in the corner would throw their book at her in disgust, allowing me to finally pick up the book! Didn't happen, but oh well.

Also it took me a while to figure out you could walk up the ladder in the kitchen (to get into the wine barrel). My bad.

So yeah, a few times I got lost, but Year 2 was definitely the toughest for me.

Year 2 was generally a difficult one I found. I also puzzled over the poetry thing for a while, convinced I was meant to say a few lines in a certain order and then get Olivia to perform it, thinking that would make something happen. My theory was, I would come up with a terrible poem, Olivia would then steal it from me, the crowd would hiss at her and then the guys in the corner would throw their book at her in disgust, allowing me to finally pick up the book! Didn't happen, but oh well.

That was really clever, actualy. Nice thinking ; )

I had to break out a walkthrough for the ticket stub puzzle. Here is what I knew:

1) I had a machine that could make fake bet stubs

2) I had to put in the right information into that machine to get a certain bet stub to win... something... money?

3) I had to figure out via other clues in the game what day / numbers to put in there.

Things that confused me so I couldn't figure it out:

1) I knew cat ear day wasn't until tuesday, but I figured I was cashing in a bet stub for the CURRENT day, i.e. right now. So I was telling myself that Tuesday was not the correct day and I just had to rule out the others days and figure out which day today was. Was there a calendar posted somewhere? A dialogue telling me what day it was?

2) Even once I had all the information collected about the one particular race.... observing the display case, collecting the photograph, talking to the bookies, etc... I didn't even think to put that information together because in my mind I was still trying to figure out what race TODAY was, so I could win TODAY.

3) Now that I used a walkthrough and solved the puzzle, I still don't understand why cashing in a bet stub for a race that happened sometime in the past gives me a reward of a photograph of two people kissing, or how/why that photograph would have been deliberately planted there as a prize for the person with that bet stub.....???

Even after cheater-solving that puzzle, the narrative logic of it sort of confuses me. Why am I trying to win on a past race instead of a current race? How did Lola plant the photograph there? Or if she didn't, how did it get there? Or if she didn't, how did she know it was there? Of all past races, why that particular one? I am really genuinely confused about how this works narratively. I feel like I missed some significant information somewhere.

3) Now that I used a walkthrough and solved the puzzle, I still don't understand why cashing in a bet stub for a race that happened sometime in the past gives me a reward of a photograph of two people kissing, or how/why that photograph would have been deliberately planted there as a prize for the person with that bet stub.....???

Even after cheater-solving that puzzle, the narrative logic of it sort of confuses me. Why am I trying to win on a past race instead of a current race? How did Lola plant the photograph there? Or if she didn't, how did it get there? Or if she didn't, how did she know it was there? Of all past races, why that particular one? I am really genuinely confused about how this works narratively. I feel like I missed some significant information somewhere.

First things first, you remember you saw Nick and Olivia kissing, right? And you remember what happened to Lola, ok? So Many needs to avenge Lola (who took the picture) and needs a lawyer (Nick) to save Terry (seabee).

If you look to the picture of the cat race that you recieve from Lola, it's the picture from the day Max asked Olivia to marry him (check blimp, in the up-right corner), also it's from the day the blimp crashed killing Olivia's favorite cat. So, since Lola was in love to Max, but Max was in love to Olivia, Lola wanted to show Max, that Olivia was an evil (skeletal) woman, in which Max should not marry. Probably when Lola saw the asking line for marriage at that particular day, it stucked in her mind, 'cause it meant her chances with Max were over. She was broken-hearted. So Lola might have had a betting ticket from that day, or managed to get one and hid the picture she took from Nick and Olivia kissing in that envelope, keeping the cat race photo to herself, since she was, probably, afraid for her (after)life, because of Nick.

After that, Lola rushed to Toto to hid the cat race picture, since Nick could caught her with it and he would figure out where she hid the kissing picture, if he got to her, before she could safely reach Many (which seems to be the only one, that is not corrupted enough to help her). Than, she probably asked Toto to keep that photo for her, and deliever to Many. But Toto shouldn't risk go out to Many to deliever it, Lola would tell Many to come to Toto, since he might forget to give it to Many, since he seems to forget things a bit fast, Toto gave Lola the "36 - Rusty Anchor" ticket. Now that the photo is safe, Lola probably went to the Calavera cafe, in hope to find Many, Lupe must have bugged her to leave her coat, giving her the "lengua #22" ticket in return, than either Lola forgot she left the "36 - Rusty Anchor" ticket in her coat or thought it was the perfect hidden-safe place. Fate was bad for Lola, and she didn't manage to find Many there.

Unable or afraid to tell Max, Lola was trapped in a corner when Nick found her, he must have forced Lola to go to the lighthouse, in hope she would give him the photo. When she didn't comply, Nick shot her.

Maybe it was destiny, or just luck, Many gets to Lola, just in time to hear her story, specialy the advice she gave him. After she sadly passes away (I can still hear the music in my mind, and it chills), Lola is gone leaving only the "lengua #22" ticket.

Than, it's up to the player to link the connections and solve the puzzle.

Hope it helps you clarify! Let me know!

PS* I love to death Grim Fandango, so I might have written to much. Sorry!

I didn't completely understand the logic behind the betting stub puzzle on my first playthrough, but it made a bit more sense to me during my second play through, when I knew what was going to happen. I could see how certain events were planted into the story, knowing what it all added up to. First time playing, though, I didn't really understand what I was working towards at all with the betting stub puzzle. All I knew was that the puzzle must have existed for a reason, so I had to solve it to progress in the game. I didn't know why, I just accepted it and carried on. xD

This has happened to me with other adventure games too. Sometimes, the story makes more sense when you know what's coming!

I got stuck quite a few times... Let me try to remember some of them...

The one with the bread crumbs, the balloon and the pigeons on the roof...

The one with the valves in the forest when Glottis climbs on them...

The one with the skeleton hand and the grinder...

And probably more but these are the ones of the top of my head...

Sign in to follow this