Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
desamster

Nintendo support?

Just wondering if Double Fine's planning to continue/expand support of Nintendo platforms. So far I see there's only The Cave and Costume Quest 2 on Wii U. Touchscreen (3DS, Wii U gamepad) and motion controls seem like a good fit for point & click adventures to me.

I started out as a young PC gamer. I remember Full Throttle left quite an impression on me. Later got into Nintendo with the N64. Although I don't play games often anymore, haven't let go of them since.

Also wondering what the folks of Double Fine think of Nintendo. Saw Tim Schafer playing Animal Crossing in the Broken Age documentary series.

Double Fine's general policy is that they'd like to see all their games on as many platforms as possible - so asked this question that's what they'll tell you.

They aren't always able to achieve this ideal, just for budgetary reason, so they make decisions based on how easy it would be to port something and how profitable doing that port is like to be when deciding which platforms out on.

That said, that's not always the final consideration. Sometimes there are publishers and/or exclusivity deals in play (usually but not always timed) where DF either don't get final say on platforms, or get extra money for keeping it exclusive on a particular platform for a while.

Since Grim Fandango, for example, was made with Sony involvement, it is probably unlikely that'll be on other console platforms any time soon.

So the complex answer is: if it makes financial sense porting to a platform, and they don't have any obligation not to put it on another platform, then they'll generally try to do so. So far that's produced the Wii U versions you mentioned, but if it makes sense to do more, they likely will.

Double Fine's general policy is that they'd like to see all their games on as many platforms as possible - so asked this question that's what they'll tell you.

They aren't always able to achieve this ideal, just for budgetary reason, so they make decisions based on how easy it would be to port something and how profitable doing that port is like to be when deciding which platforms out on.

That said, that's not always the final consideration. Sometimes there are publishers and/or exclusivity deals in play (usually but not always timed) where DF either don't get final say on platforms, or get extra money for keeping it exclusive on a particular platform for a while.

Since Grim Fandango, for example, was made with Sony involvement, it is probably unlikely that'll be on other console platforms any time soon.

So the complex answer is: if it makes financial sense porting to a platform, and they don't have any obligation not to put it on another platform, then they'll generally try to do so. So far that's produced the Wii U versions you mentioned, but if it makes sense to do more, they likely will.

Thank you for that enlightening answer :)

Also, there are definitely lots of people in DF who are Nintendo fans. I was just talking to one on twitter the other day about how good the 3DS has been lately. :) So I'm sure the will there, it just has to be the right project with the right budget :)

Also, there are definitely lots of people in DF who are Nintendo fans. I was just talking to one on twitter the other day about how good the 3DS has been lately. :) So I'm sure the will there, it just has to be the right project with the right budget :)

Nice to hear :)

timed exclusive, no? considering this is also on PC and Disney, not Sony owning the IP

timed exclusive, no? considering this is also on PC and Disney, not Sony owning the IP

We don't know. Sony have published console exclusives on PC before so it wouldn't be unusual for it to stay exclusive.

Sign in to follow this