Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Broken Age Act 2 Development at Beta!

Cross posting from the backer forums for those who didn't back!

Hey all, happy 2015! LOTS of big milestones being hit by the Broken Age team in the past month, so let’s just take a second to hear Tim rattle them all off in video form!

mnY0TdkXZwI

And for the video-averse, a summary:

-All dialog is written

-All English voice is recorded

-All German voice is recorded

-All dialog and voice is implemented

-PlayStation 4 and Vita are up and running

-Gameplay programming is locked

-External QA testing has begun

-Nordic Games retail box art by Cory Schmitz is done, looks awesome, and is at the printers.

OH MAN we’re getting there! What this means is we’re preeeeeeetty much at beta these days. The brunt of the remaining beta work left on the game is to finish up all the final cutscene animation now that we have final voice, and then the visual effects and audio work that follows.

The game is in a highly playable state now, and we’ve been doing a bunch of playtesting both with employees at DF and developer friends outside the studio, which continues to be really encouraging!

Now we’re in that final stretch of polishing things up and pushing that bug countdown to zero! It’s a really exciting time. We now can see the full picture of the game we’re going to ship and are able to make small tweaks that really affect the quality of the experience. The good news is that we’re already excited about what we have, and these next few months of polish and bug fixing should allow us to ship something we’re super super proud of.

Can’t wait to get the rest of the game into your hands! This also has us looking forward a bit to the remaining rewards left to ship. Here’s a handy dandy breakdown on where we are with all of those things!:

1Bkn8xL.jpg

That’s it for now! You can expect another documentary episode in the weeks prior to launch and more project updates as we hit major milestones. Until then, hopefully you can keep yourselves busy with Grim!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH GRIM FANDANGO REMASTERED IS OUT!!!!!!!!

I don't want an Act 2 beta. The Act 1 beta cleared up most of the compatibility issues on PC, and that's unlikely to change for Act 2, so I guess I just want to play the final, bug-tested game when it's done, now.

Progress sounds great, really looking forward to it.

While I think Molyneux project has FAR more to answer for than Broken Age ever had, I still think it was a nice touch considering he's had it pretty rough over the last week, I wouldn't wish that sort of stuff on anyone, even if I think they had madve some serious errors in judgement.

Wait a minute... You guys are humans... Oh...

I'm glad that Tim, and I'm sure DF stand by Peter Molyneux, that RPS interviewer with him was the most disgusting, childish and arrogant interviewer I have ever read. Who the hell does he think he is?

That great news. It's nice to see that you all are making good progress on everything. I don't think I ever posted about the backer rewards I've already gotten here (I posted about it at Telltale but I think I forgot to post here... d'oh). The poster is awesome, and it's neat to know that the pin is only one of 40 different designs (I'd love to see what all 40 look like).

I'm really looking forward to playing Act II. It's my most anticipated game of 2015. :)

And thanks so much for the continued transparency, and learning from mistakes when they've been made and continuing forward with the transparency despite the backlash you've gotten. The transparency, the readiness to try new things and to pick yourself up and learn from them when they don't work out as planned, and of course the fact that your games are a lot of fun are the main reasons I love Double Fine so much. :)

I’M SO EXCITED! Gonna buy it again, for PS4 this time. Want to see it on the big screen!

Also I really appreciated and agreed with Tim on his thoughts about Peter Molyneux. Was nice to hear.

You know, many years ago, a canadian sign told it all: video games et cetera.

Anyway, good news.

I'm glad that Tim, and I'm sure DF stand by Peter Molyneux, that RPS interviewer with him was the most disgusting, childish and arrogant interviewer I have ever read. Who the hell does he think he is?

Yeah that was ridiculous

I think my biggest regret in life was not backing this game - if only I'd known about it before it was too late :/

I want those rewards so bad lol

That great news. It's nice to see that you all are making good progress on everything. I don't think I ever posted about the backer rewards I've already gotten here (I posted about it at Telltale but I think I forgot to post here... d'oh). The poster is awesome, and it's neat to know that the pin is only one of 40 different designs (I'd love to see what all 40 look like).

There are images of all of them here.

I read through that whole RPS interview too, and it made me lose quite a lot of respect for John Walker. Of course Peter Molyneux isn't immune from being held accountable for his promises, but the tone of that whole interview is extremely disrespectful, and it seems like the interviewer doesn't understand that backing a crowd funding campaign is different from buying a product, and that you don't have any guarantees the finished product might turn out as planned, if at all.

I read through that whole RPS interview too, and it made me lose quite a lot of respect for John Walker. Of course Peter Molyneux isn't immune from being held accountable for his promises, but the tone of that whole interview is extremely disrespectful, and it seems like the interviewer doesn't understand that backing a crowd funding campaign is different from buying a product, and that you don't have any guarantees the finished product might turn out as planned, if at all.

I forgot about the buttondex! Anyway...

Re: Molyneux, I think it's a tricky one. First of all I think basically John misjudged the tone of that interview by quite a way. He asked some questions that should have been asked, for sure, but throwing in agressive, impossible-to-answer-well questions was ... not great, in my view.

But already I see people comparing on podcasts and forums and twitter etc the Godus situation with Broken Age, and I think it's important to point out they're not really similar, in 3 main ways.

1) The issue people had with Godus is the usual of Molyneux overpromising and underdelivering. DFA couldn't have underpromised more if it tried. They promised to try to make an adventure game and document the process ... and later promised some platforms and languages. And by that above table, they're overdelivering on several of those promises, so far.

2) It looks like Godus is going to have to be released severely reduced in scope from the original vision, despite getting extra publisher funding. Meanwhile, Broken Age sounds like it's going to be a pleasing length by the time that part 2 is out, and they've managed that with their own money. I don't think they're given nearly enough credit for how much they've achieved with self-funding.

3) A large majority of backers are pretty satisfied with the progress of Broken Age, and the mood is pretty good in advance of Act 2, while Godus backers are understandably pretty annoyed.

So I do think that the Godus project has a lot to answer for, and I do think those questions really deserve to be asked. I've made dozens of jokes and serious points about it myself on Twitter, but what I don't like is the mob-pile on mentality where Molyneux gets dragged through the mud to the point of bullying.

Thanks for the update, Greg and thanks for the video, Tim! Exciting times indeed :D

I have no idea how I'm going to feel when all of this comes to an end. There's so much energy, hope and passion tied up in Broken Age (from backers and developers).

I could not be more excited about Act 2 of this game. Am I right in inferring from Tim's commentary that we can only expect one more documentary episode between now and the release?

I turned my back on the whole Molyneux thing. Gaming communities, and a lot of the press that underpins them, have an inflated sense of their own importance which often spills over into torch-brandishing witch-hunts. Molyneux is a legendary developer responsible for some of the most ground-breaking games in the history of the medium. He's also a flawed human being who often dreams way in excess of his grasp. Kickstarter and Molyneux was never gonna be a recipe for unbridled success.

I've GOT to play Grim before DFA Act 2 comes out! Gah, so many good games to play!

I might just shut off the internet for a few months to avoid spoilers... :D

Hmm, i'm unsure why Schafer was talking about Molyneux in the video. Were people mad about Molyneux here? Is the video targeted at a different audience than the DFA supporters? This lack of context sounds a little bit like asking for some sort of absolution for the DFA or suggesting that it could be generally fine misleading people, doing sloppy work, ... If your into the subject then it's obvious why backers/gamers aren't this fond of Molyneux (anymore).

Making games (also) is business, like, making sweets. You also don't want "the dev" of some candy lying to you and providing genetically modified ingredients, a different flavour or whatever contrary to what he once was promising. Making games has a traceable complexity too. (At times) the games industry could benefit from a more reflected self-conception and honesty.

Molyneux has a history of overpromising and deserves critics for misleading backers with his latest product(s). Even looking at his best game (Dungeon Keeper) there are issues you could discuss. Molyneux could focus on designing something great and if he ever wants to utalise crowdfunding again, he only should do this with honest intentions and showing character when times get tough.

Schafer also deserved critics for the first part of the DFA. I was backing (what was sold to me) an old skool point & click adventure but received a rather flat click me through children kind of game. I certainly won't give up my "right" to criticise part 2 if it'll suck too. If it will be great, Hurra! :o)

Yes, we get the process of making the DFA but that's no excuse for how some of these projects ended up and obviously you need to differ due to the reasons why something went wrong (shit happens, incompetence, ego issues, ignorance, wrong estimations, stuff out of your control, being dishonest, ...).

On the other side it's no news that game journalism sucks too. It's often exaggerated, premature and black and white. Good insightful interviews also are influenced by the chemistry between two persons, the location, persistence, empathy, the daily mood, ... you can make interesting down to the core interviews which get dirty at times also without being frontal, snotty and disrespectful from the start.

To shorten this up, some devs deserve the blame whilst others don't. Kindergarten!

I think Peter Molyneux did alot of things wrong and they shouldn't be ignored. However, he should still be treated like a human being with respect. I don't think bashing or plain old "being mean" is appropriate in any situation. I'm probably never going to buy Godus and I'll especially never put any money towards any of his projects before they're actually finished and have positive reviews, but I definitely respect him for owning the blame. I think he perfectly understands how unhappy the community is, so it's about time the trolling stopped so he can pick up the pieces in peace.

I respect Tim Schafer all the more for standing up for him. It's a risk because he's had his own trolling and this could potentially put more attention on him.

Great to see Tim standing up for Peter Molyneux. I'm a Godus backer, and I'm dissapointed in how he has handled that project, but as Tim are saying, the reactions are way way out line.

Really good news with Broken Age also. The three years have really flown by, but it's so impressive that DF has through those years always been able to show progress with the game. Everything about backing this project feels as good as ever.

Schafer also deserved critics for the first part of the DFA. I was backing (what was sold to me) an old skool point & click adventure but received a rather flat click me through children kind of game.

Not everyone shares your opinion of the first act. I don't know that I'd say it's as good as Grim Fandango and some other classics that Schafer made back in the day, but it definitely felt to me like an old school point and click adventure. As a backer, you should definitely be able to expect the devs to be honest with you and keep their promises, but you can't expect the product to turn out exactly the way you pictured it. The dev's vision for the game was different from yours from the beginning.

My qualm with the 1st act was that it felt too short. Hearing that the 2nd act was much bigger was a relief. I'm excited that it's finally being released.

Nice job showing support to Molyneux. It's sad to me that some people still don't understand how the world works. In a way I think transparency is just confusing some people. In their heads all game development is apparently done without any issues, backtracking, or changes in direction whatsoever. When Portal 2 began development it didn't even include portals. (Yes, you read that right.) If there'd been transparency during the development, the whining entitled generation would have accused them of not knowing what they were doing... and yet Portal 2, when it finally came out, rocked.

Maybe everyone will one day eventually understand the perils and pitfalls of creative work.

@wwarnick

Only nitpickers care about those 7 billions. GF is better in quite some aspects and a few actually were looking forward to an evolution of adventure/exploration/inventory/depth/characters/puzzles/... but instead someone felt that some talking cutlery, weirdly thrown into celebrity voice actors and stuff was enough already.

but instead someone felt that some talking cutlery, weirdly thrown into celebrity voice actors and stuff was enough already.

Honestly, talking cutlery fits in the most I think in regards to the old LucasArt games. ;)

As for the 'weirdly thrown into celebrity voice actors and stuff' -- I think their voices seem quite perfect for the role. To me, that is the only thing that matters.

Smiles

I'm entirely excited for part 2. With all it's been hinted to be, I just KNOW it will shut up the doubters and the ones who insult Tim, once and for all!

I just read it earlier this afternoon and found it disgusting. John Walker showed himself to be the FOX News of video games.

Thanks for that link to the button images flesk. I should have known that the awesome Double Fine fans would have already cataloged them. :)

I just read it earlier this afternoon and found it disgusting. John Walker showed himself to be the FOX News of video games.

Definitely. Regardless of your views on Peter Molyneux, most people would agree that the interview wasn't responsible journalism in any stretch of the word. Any interview that begins with a loaded question like "Do you think you are a pathological liar?" is sensationalism, not journalism. Journalists are supposed to be subjective (I know I try to do that myself, and have promptly corrected myself on the rare occasion when someone points out that a news article I posted was biased). This was someone going in with their mind already made up, and asking questions that were purposely worded to draw the conclusion that they already had. If he was so against the project, to retain credibility as a journalist, he should have handed the interview to someone who didn't hold that bias (or at least was willing to not show it so blatantly).

Omg, Godus is from Molyneux? I wasn't even aware of this! (yhea, godus has been never really been a game for me, as my creatures ai was the thing keep me going all the way in black and white... well, the b&w concept part beside the missing creature was quite ovious tho ) its a kinda mixture of shock and surprise right here ^^

I mean hey, i only played b&w 1, 2 and the add ons of both. i love those games and this man had made a great job there!

So whatever game he releases now, b&w one was a masterpiece. Its a kind of story where someone had made something that great it is quite hard to top it even by himself.

I was also not really the kind of guy for fable.

So i lost him totally from my radar. it is funny, the one thing even was said about Molyneux even while the release of b&w 1 was his beeig untrue to his promises. Well, i never minded any b&w game, and sirously, the worm in the apple you can zoom to in b&w 1 still is perfection, and man this is quite an old game now.

@Thunderpeel, you got a great post there and i agree on that!

For something great as a result you even have to have very high ambitions, dare to trying hard to achieve things and not to play things save.

How boring this world would be if there wasn't persons like Molyneux, who don't think sometimes like even too big even with the danger of failure ahead. (i am not shure how much Molyneux e er has the possibility of what might go wrong in mind^^ but than again he made unbelievable awesome games, so in the end that proves his optimism to be a good thinv at least!)

I mean, i don't know if he really is the one, that deserves the credits for it, so this is more like a question, but didn't he invented the whole "good or evil choice" concept even today the game industry is hyped about?

Yhea,after having said all that i am quite underwhelmed by Godus and kinda thought about it as a not so great b&w clone. than again Molyneux wanted to make a game that included the whole evolution in civilazation even back than with black and white itself and failed at it, as in higher civilasations a giant turtle doing magic tricks don't fit as much as into the state where the b&w world has been in. I played my b&w 1 with a tattooed very muscled unicorn ^^ so ... yhea, my motivation behind b&w never has been that much of playing a building strategie game ever ^^ it allways have been more like my "i love well done insanity" haha no for real, the creatures story, the whole b&w story was really well done aswell. Not that i didn't found that building strategie part quite enjoable too, even more in bw 2.

Okay, all my b&w talk, i hope i didn't went too offtopic here or bored the hell of out you ^^ but a man that gave my generation of gamers, generations before me and after me hours and hours of fun and a exotic awesome world you could escape into for as long as your plans of your week allowed, such s****storms he is facing are even more disrespectful. Not only as a question of good manners and showing people simply respect for beeing human beeings and beeing allowed to making mistakes! And we all do those and we all never the less want to expiriene to be respected never the less! But in addition to that Molyneux made such great work allready and achived so much in the gaming industry. he doesn't deseve such s***storms cause of that double!

And i sneaked a little into the topic of godus on youtube cause i never cared about it. But so the game is still very much on its way. and - did i get that right? was more mentioned to be something like popolus i even cared less about than about godus? ^^ yhea, so i guess this game was never really for me as a target group. But man Molyneux deserves some respect. I like tim for standing up for him!

But again, i have the feeling Tim is different than Molyneux. he is less concept driven but more story driven. and so, imho tim is way more successful than Molyneux in delivering what he imagines! Funny to say so, but i really mean this: For me, Tim you are a quite solid guy that knows what he is doing A dreamer in a good way. And even as Molyneux is a dreamer in a also good but different way, i think tim is less with his head in the clouds than Molyneux.

But again, i am convinced the world needs artists as Molyneux aswell, that dare and believe in "the impossible". And even can fail at some points. But no risks, no wonders in this world. Again, i feel like Tim is less with his head in the clouds, but you are as much in the categorie of artists this world needs to have! thanks for beeing there!

And all what those s****storm trolls are so much are complaining about is such ... really, disproportional! Only because something that wouldn't even exist without those people is delayed or not there - yet - this giant s***storm is rolling over them like a giant thunderstorm. man. without them it wouldn't even be there! Without them it would never going to be created ever!

I mean, yes, trends like games becoming less and less challinging are thing i do get emotional about aswell. But i am angry about that trends, not at persons.

But even in my kinda not so happy moments about something i ... well, in fact just love too much those games to not to be emotional about them. But I think the ability is importand to take a step back and say: yes, this first of all is just entertainment. Even as i dislike a little detail now, doesn't mean that i don't all in all i love this thing quite a lot. And all in all i love the things the persons behind it have build before also.

I am also definitly that kind of person that went into the "high expectation" trap quite to often in my life. ^^ But very often after a total dissapointment, when i give those things a second chance, i begin to see, well, in their own way those things can have very high qualities of their own, tho. (the hobbit as an example ^^)

As a total different example Jurassic Park III was a dissapointment after high expectations, that, yhea, well, i never became a friend with. (but this a whole different story, as this movie never has been made by spielberg). But even as i still think about it as a total trashy bmovie plot that never will be awesome, i have to admit even in this movie there are moments. where things was made extremly good. the more personal characters of the Raptors for example.

So okay, Jurassic Park III still is a bad movie ^^ but even s****storms about the man who made it, would be totally disrespectful imo.

But than again the Tim and Molyneux story is like having a huge shitstorm over Spielberg himself more. I mean, its really a very strange, even as very common way to show your love for their older works - in beeing so mad and unfair at the person today. Without who those (older) things those trolls apparently love so much, wouldn't even exist!

In fact at some point it really reaches a level of a child screaming in the supermarked because, it's parents didn't bought it the right candy.

And i do creative work aswell. People that don't work creative doesn't understand there are not timelines like there would be like "I have to write this letter till 11:14 and send it to my chef than“. I think a big problem really is that people don't understand that creativity is not a thing you just sit there and it is just simply there, the right idea for the right moment, only because some one is expecting you to finish till friday!

Usally the perfect idea more like comes on sunday night.

I guess a lot of complaining people just don’t get that. Maybe even understandable, as they don’t have the expirience of beeing a creative. And honestly. I allways hear people saying „oh, so you are creative! how cool! i would love to be creative aswell!“ and than thinking of those peoples crazy „deadlines and it just works“ - imagintions, i am like: „Oh no! You totally would not!“ (in my head at least) ^^

Oh and sorry for the huge number words ahhh

Sign in to follow this