Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Silvio Terra

That's not thematic!

Hey everyone,

Wondering whether people had any thoughts on any particular house that they feel has been mis-assigned to either thematic or non-thematic.

Stumbled across some name/saying that didn't feel right for the type of game you were playing? Too silly? Actually very serious, and not sure why it showed up next to your Bunny Hunters? Let us know!

PS: Also, would appreciate any noticed typos or knowing that something is some obscure dirty reference to something else.

Hello Silvio!

I wanted to ask if it's possible to add a feature where we can edit the House Names/Mottos/Battle Crys that are available in the game? Some of the houses have a certain cool feature or banner, but as a complete set are not cohesive. An example is house Sphynx. It has a name that sounds like an Egyptian theme (Spynx Cats), it's motto is in Latin, it's founder names are definitely not thematic and it's battle cry is OOHRAH.

Basically let's grab all kinds of stuff and shove them in a blender.

Another problem is that some houses have a motto or a battle cry that doesn't have a sign at the end (like ! or . or ?) which creates more inconsistency.

Also, I wanted to mention that House Sphynx is *probably* not thematic.

Other Houses that are in THEMATIC but are not or are "weird": Kluge (Battle Cry and Motto); Queue (Battle Cry); Sun (Motto); Tarvey (Motto and Battle Cry)

Hey QuickSaveTV,

regarding the Bloodline Editor thingie maybe you should post your position in here : http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/15785/

AFAIK such a feature is currently out of scope and also would be unfair for some backers at least (i guess, not my position though).

Also i just wanted to stress that small things like the (! . or ?) is something i wouldnt like to see as something making a house unthematic.

I can see your point but i feel that being thematic is a pretty thin line and while i see where you are coming from, i feel as long as the house in itself doesnt clearly feel like a Joke or has some serious troubles being seen as serious it should stay in the thematic section.

Everyone has probably something they see as unthematic but in my case (The house "von Riva" ) i used a German Name , A german Battle cry and still a latin themed motto. The team stated before that people love latin in one of the team streams, and i feel why this may feel odd for some, the pure anount of latin styled mottos and names makes them pretty thematic overall.

Sure, lordofriva,

I didn't mean that it's not thematic because of the symbols, I just think it would look a lot better if these mottos and battlecries were a little more tidy and didn't look out of place, you know? I didn't argue that they are not thematic because of the lack of full stop at the end of a sentence :D

The specific house example I brought about was inconsistent(which I don't know if it's thematic or not and I'm pretty sure it had a joke founder name :D

Your clan example does not feel non-thematic but I would change the "eram, sum, erimus" to "Eram, sum, erimus." if I could :D I mean small things like that so they all look consistent and organized.

It's only my opinion anyway.

P.S. - It's totally cool if backers are the only ones who are allowed to create the clans, I have no issue with that.

I looked through the Bloodlines and these are the ones i found a little unthematic, i wrote what i found odd about them besides their names to help you find what i mean. By any means this is a matter of subjectivity so if i commented on your Bloodline please bear in mind that not agreeing with me is fine. Also im German so i may have missed some more of the more hidden subtile english jokes and my french, although i learned some , is pretty basic. i wasnt able to look at any other language, and also didnt translate latin phrases.

Albiin: Fluffy kittens for everyone (motto)

Anderson: Smart like mule (typo?) Bruce Wills it (Bruce willis ) Warcry

Barnum: Gamblers hold (keep) Yay! (Warcry) (sounds odd, its not as bad imho)

Bocks: Bunsklords loves Potatoes (motto)

Bowling: Robotoki (keep name) Whoop Whooop (warcry)

Brickel: 'Twas a good idea at the Time (Motto) So is your face! (Warcry)

Button: Because we are awesome (Motto) Buttom 'em down (Warcry) Button Shaped Sigil

Bylund: Weee (warcry) The Sigil looks like this smiley: ^o^ (not sure on this one)

Changs: Castle Flophouse (Keep) Lack toast and Tolerant (Motto)

Davis: Fort summerjams (Keep) Hey erveryone its tuuuuuesday (Motto) Baller Time! (Warcry) Sigil is a Bomb

Dormuir: i'll do it tomorrow (Motto) not Today! (warcry)

Eigen: Eigenspace (Keep) To advance and Multiply (motto) Forward to Vectory! (Warcry) Value and Vectory (character names)

Epískopos: Citadel of Algroismus (keep) Break, Divide, restore (motto) Beelzebufo! (Wacry) (aka the devils frog)

Forney: Nummer Neun (Keep) (German: Number Nine)

Katzen: Katzen (family name: Ger: Cat) Scratch Outpost (keep)

Koksvik: Taxation is legalised Theft (Motto) Freedom from Coercion (Warcry)

Landia: Loaf Court (Keep) We are the Breadwinners (motto)

lerico: The only thing here is the Cat sigil, it has a ^^ smiley as its eyes

lüftenKatzenBär: this one is Tricky as well. The family name is german for : AirCatBear (or at least similiarlüften is not really Air) still the name feels odd

Meeps: Deep Meep keep (Keep)

Melnick: Manhattenland (Keep) Its prbably okay (Motto) Show me your moves (Warcry)

Morato: Kubic Castle (keep) The Cube shall prevail (Motto) FOR THE CUBE! (warcry) The sigil shows the golden Triforce on Green (Zelda) could be the Hōjō Mon as well

Mourinho: We eat. (Motto) For Hotpot! For Glory! (Warcry)

Napier: Logarithmic! (Warcry) (i do not understand the rest may be worth looking at)

Of-Juanis: two-Eighteen (Keep) Sigil is a bomb which is fine with the motto etc. imho

Ostman: The 40 (keep)

Rare: The immortal Stump (Keep) Rigid as a mollusk Stury as a bread (Motto) Do it know do it foreva (warcry)

Roberston: I hate casters (Motto) (there are no "Casters" in MC)

Sandoz: Jimland (Keep) Milk is for babies (motto)

Snake: We give not a single #*&%. (motto) also with the sigil and the eyepatch it feels like its a joke on solid snake (MGS 3) although it features a cat.

Snuffles: Snufflesberg (Keep)

Sunada: Pigeon empire (Keep) Hey! (motto) N-no! (Warcry)

Tarvey: The Fungalow (Keep) Say it right or say Goodnight (motto) Sup now ?!?!?! (Warcry)

The Great: Steak a Day keeps enemies at bay (motto)

Tripad: Victory Through Apathy (motto) Fight! or Don't (Warcry)

Von Dickson: The Dapper tiki Protects (motto) Mighty Tiki power (warcry) also the sigil strikes me as funny, more or less.

Willson: Any day can be a red letter day (motto) With two Ls! (warcry)

Xelert: Beard Sun (Keep) Guardians of the Beard (Motto) Beard them all (warcry)

On the same Vein i Agree with QuickSaveTV when it comes to my Bloodline, would it be possible to change the e in my Motto to an capital E

there are quite few typos in the bloodlines, but i can hardly comment on that since i tend to do a lot myself :P

On the same Vein i Agree with QuickSaveTV when it comes to my Bloodline, would it be possible to change the e in my Motto to an capital E

Done.

Done.

Silvio is there any information on when the new build will be available? I really want to take a look at it :)

Done.

thanks a bunch.

i hope my list is helpful (took some time to go through all thematic bloodlines and didnt result in more unwanted work.

Changs: Castle Flophouse (Keep) Lack toast and Tolerant (Motto)

Dormuir: i'll do it tomorrow (Motto) not Today! (warcry)

Ahahah, Lactose intolerant.

"Dormir" is the french word for SLEEP. Hahah.

For what it's worth, I personally am okay with War Cries being slightly on the sillier side of average. When you're killing monsters, I don't ask you to compose poetry on the fly, and even real-world soldiers use a fair amount of "Ooh-rah!" and whatnot. If your war cry is "Yeaaaaaaaaaah!" or "Suck it, bad guys!" that doesn't necessarily feel wrong.

Also, I've had the Willson house in my games, and I completely love "With two Ls!" It's like they're yelling at whoever's keeping tally of Cadence kills because the bookkeeping is constantly giving credit to those bastards the Wilsons.

For what it's worth, I personally am okay War Cries being slightly sillier on average. When you're killing monsters, I don't ask you to compose poetry on the fly, and even real-world soldiers use a fair amount of "Ooh-rah!" and whatnot. If your war cry is "Yeaaaaaaaaaah!" or "Suck it, bad guys!" that doesn't necessarily feel wrong.

Also, I've had the Willson house in my games, and I completely love "With two Ls!" It's like they're yelling at whoever's keeping tally of Cadence kills because the bookkeeping is constantly giving credit to those bastards the Wilsons.

Yeah, that's why it's actually not very straightforward to set something up as 'thematic' vs 'non-thematic'. If we only allowed battle cries that were historical, we'd be missing a lot of variety. Mostly they'd be of the types "Long Live ", "For !", "God ", ""

At the same time, we understand that some combinations currently in the game are a bit out there. Trying to gauge if any feel WAY too out of place, and whether one element of the house is enough to justify moving it to the non-thematic category.

For what it's worth, I personally am okay War Cries being slightly sillier on average. When you're killing monsters, I don't ask you to compose poetry on the fly, and even real-world soldiers use a fair amount of "Ooh-rah!" and whatnot. If your war cry is "Yeaaaaaaaaaah!" or "Suck it, bad guys!" that doesn't necessarily feel wrong.

Yeah, that's why it's actually not very straightforward to set something up as 'thematic' vs 'non-thematic'. If we only allowed battle cries that were historical, we'd be missing a lot of variety. Mostly they'd be of the types "Long Live ", "For !", "God ", ""

At the same time, we understand that some combinations currently in the game are a bit out there. Trying to gauge if any feel WAY too out of place, and whether one element of the house is enough to justify moving it to the non-thematic category.

But a third category of historical quotes would be ... hot. Like... I'll stop. But seriously. Historical quotes categories would be fun!

Is the Oda bloodline considered non-thematic because it's an actual, historical clan? Or because the quotes are a veiled reference to Samurai Warriors?

Sign in to follow this