Sign in to follow this  
Levering_2pp

Wrapping Up the Double Fine Adventure (Requests?)

Hi Everyone,

We're currently in the process of finalizing the Double Fine Adventure documentary. What does that mean exactly? We'll we're hooking all the drives back up again and making sure stuff is still working.

KJkii7im.jpg

This is probably 50tb? Don't even want to know.

Paul Owens is looking through footage that wasn't used to find good "deleted scene" material, and Asif is going to be retouching the coloring for the series and removing blurs from the spoilers.

Owens is also working on Episode 19 which will release alongside Act 2 of Broken Age, after which we'll do a quick Episode 20 which will cover the post release period.

Here are the special features we have in mind for the final digital/physical release -

Commentary track for the entire series

Closed Captioning

Deleted/ Extra scenes

Spoiler blurs removed (sensitive personal info will remain blurred)

Updated color grading

We're curious about what kind of additional content you folks would like to see as well. Just keep in mind that we have to try and fit this stuff on some discs, so we can't go too crazy.

Things we can't do-

Sidequests! (sorry, usage issues.) We might start moving these over to Youtube, with the subjects blessing.

Not so much on content, but please make sure Humble has torrent links for the series. Downloading that much by HTTP is time consuming, error prone and hard to schedule in the cheaper overnight period.

I was hoping to have a "clean" playthrough on the Blu-ray as well (with "clean" meaning that the game is played relatively straightforward, without much trial an error), alongside a commentary by the team (and possibly some voice actors?). I guess this is out of question, since it would rival the running time of the documentaries alone. But a commentary for the docs is highly welcome.

What I really liked was the extended episode about Peter Chan's work. I'll happily take other extensions like this! I'd also really like to see some interviews with the voice actors, which fell a little short. Just make sure to include all the trailers and (hopefully!) sidequests on the discs as well!

I was hoping to have a "clean" playthrough on the Blu-ray as well (with "clean" meaning that the game is played relatively straightforward, without much trial an error), alongside a commentary by the team (and possibly some voice actors?). I guess this is out of question, since it would rival the running time of the documentaries alone. But a commentary for the docs is highly welcome.

We're thinking about that too, might have to be digital only though. Hard to justify the production cost of what would likely be an entires discs worth of material.

What I really liked was the extended episode about Peter Chan's work. I'll happily take other extensions like this! I'd also really like to see some interviews with the voice actors, which fell a little short. Just make sure to include all the trailers and (hopefully!) sidequests on the discs as well!

Paul Owens is looking at that type of stuff for sure. Sidequests though we can't really sell or distribute in a for-sale package. We made those for fun and didn't get clearances to use any of the supplemental music/footage in a commercial product.

Not so much on content, but please make sure Humble has torrent links for the series. Downloading that much by HTTP is time consuming, error prone and hard to schedule in the cheaper overnight period.

I would like to get that setup with VHX as well, so it's something we're looking into.

Sidequests though we can't really sell or distribute in a for-sale package. We made those for fun and didn't get clearances to use any of the supplemental music/footage in a commercial product.
Fair enough... but could you maybe make those available online at 1080p? Or were they only produced at 720p?

Sidequests though we can't really sell or distribute in a for-sale package. We made those for fun and didn't get clearances to use any of the supplemental music/footage in a commercial product.
Fair enough... but could you maybe make those available online at 1080p? Or were they only produced at 720p?
As long as the person being interviewed is comfortable with it, we could totally move those over to Youtube at some point.

I really hope the Sidequests make their way onto the Blurays, but I also realize this might be possible for copyright issues.

I hope they're at least collected into one thread with easier to downloadable files if not on disc.

I wouldn't mind seeing a coda from Tim as well as Bagel on the entire project but I assume Episode 20 will include that.

And if you guys actually sat down with any of the voice actors and interviewed them and just didn't include it in episodes because of time/spoilers/etc. please add them.

Based on previous packages 2PP has done though I predict this will be good.

I'd really like to see you guys do an in depth interview with Tim (and maybe some other staff on DFA) about the reception and impressions and media reportings that have been spread around about Broken Age, Double Fine and Kickstarters in general both with regard to the Broken Age development, the splitting decision, the events around SpaceBase DF-9 exiting Early Acces, how his taking stance in the GamerGate issue affected that, and on the laying off of staff that happened, and how that has affected DF and BA.

For one of the extra features I would love it if there was a fully detailed tour of the DF offices, they always seem to be cut short on the AF streams.

Also, remember a long time ago when you guys had fans submit videos of themselves talking about the game to edit into an intro video at a conference?

What if you just invited backers to submit a bunch of short 3 to 5 second videos just saying thanks to Double Fine? Then maybe create a montage with Chariots Of Fire playing behind it or something. Joking about chariots of fire, but not the first part ;-)

It's quick and easy. They don't have to think about what to say. Just camera on, thanks double fine, camera off. Bam.

I mentioned it over in the other thread, but as a supplemental piece, I'd be interested in seeing some brief interviews with other developers touching on their thoughts about how the documentary's representations compares with their own experiences (I totally understand that that represents a significant amount of cat herding and production overhead).

This would give some neat insight into and reinforcement of the challenges that game developers have to negotiate, and do so in a way that highlights that whilst this documentary shows Double Fine making one game, it's also giving a window into something bigger than Broken Age or Double Fine.

I mentioned it over in the other thread, but as a supplemental piece, I'd be interested in seeing some brief interviews with other developers touching on their thoughts about how the documentary's representations compares with their own experiences (I totally understand that that represents a significant amount of cat herding and production overhead).

This would give some neat insight into and reinforcement of the challenges that game developers have to negotiate, and do so in a way that highlights that whilst this documentary shows Double Fine making one game, it's also giving a window into something bigger than Broken Age or Double Fine.

If that is a thing that is possible, that would totes be cool.

ditto

ditto

Thirded. It would make for a nice capstone to everything.

While we're wishing for things that would be very time consuming, I'd also like to request a feature length cut. The documentary is something I'd love to show non-gamer friends and family, but it's hard to sell the idea of 15ish hours of episodes to somebody who doesn't already have a vested interest. It'd also be kind of cool to see a cut of all the footage done with the knowledge of how everything turned out in the end, allowing to tell a more focused story.

Another person with a blu ray here thinking that it is a shame that you can't put the sidequests even on the blu ray. I would gladly sacrifice the quality for a complete version... but then again that may be seen as unfair to the DVD only backers (though honestly- how many people at this point are actually going to get dvds?) Hell- maybe if it didn't cost too much you could just make a seperate second DVD for sidequests? Or.. you know maybe not. I honestly don't know how long we are looking at here. I forgot to tally up the amount of time we were looking at.

As for bonus features-

I would LOVE easter eggs. Call it old fashion- but I would love to be clicking around my dvd menu willy nilly and surprisingly select a cup with some crazy mini-choose your own adventure or something. That'd be fun. I always used to love searching for DVD easter eggs when I was younger so this just seems like an extension.

Another idea is

Maybe a short sarcastic mini-commentary track where Shay and Vella made snide comments about things that were said about them and their story ark during the documentry? (Them standing there, animated and talking... not just voices like the normal commentary, in character) Not a full track like the main one obviously- like a 15-20 min highlight reel or something. Possibly a silly idea and too expensive but hey- :P

I've absolutely loved the documentary. It has been worth far more than the amount I backed for, and really helped and inspired me as I began my journey into the game industry.

I love the idea of an in-depth post-Broken Age interview with Tim. It would also be nice to get one with Greg, to get his perspective on the production side of things. I'm glad to hear that you're updating the color correction, but what I think the documentary needs much more is a higher-quality sound mix. I understand that you're limited by the source material, and spontaneity of shooting, but the levels seem to need some compression and adjusting. I often have to turn my receiver up quite a bit to hear certain sections, only to get my ears blown out at other times. I know it's a tough problem, but if there's one improvement I would love, that would be it.

Thanks for a fantastic documentary!

I'm sorry to hear the sidequests have clearance issues. I really loved these and would like them to get additional distribution/support if possible, even if they don't make it onto the discs or if you can't get all of them. If it's infeasible I understand, but consider this another vote of support. :)

I'd welcome any additional footage you have of nuts and bolts production work. Gimme 15 minutes of an animator, musician, or vfx coder doing their job, no dialog or VO needed. (I'd watch coders too, but maybe that's just me. :) ) If there were any design meetings that you filmed but didn't include for spoiler reasons, I'd love to see those as well.

When I came to this post my only concern was the Sidequests; but I understand now they can't be on the disc as-is. I stopped watching all episodes long ago, I really don't want any spoilers for the second half and I'd prefer to watch all the episodes in order after I've played the game in full. I'd also like to watch the sidequests in order as well, between the episodes. I'm hoping there's a place to get all the sidequests still and maybe a list of where they belong in the series?

We're thinking about that too, might have to be digital only though. Hard to justify the production cost of what would likely be an entires discs worth of material.

I'm also in favor of a playthrough. I think it'll be pretty cool to hear about what the developers have to say about the game, like if they thought some puzzles might be too easy or hard or if they originally wanted to animate something differently.

It would be interesting to see some short interviews of the developers and other team members involved the project, talk about their experiences with this. Being a developer myself, I would think having your workday documented for three years must be a very strange situation, for good and bad. We're of course very grateful that they have accepted this, for the doc has been brilliant and very insightful.

Cool! I didn't expect you guys to add even more content. But then this is 2PP we're talking about, so I should have known better. ;-)

Some interesting suggestions so far, although it's probably impossible to include all of it. I think I'd probably particularly be interested in deleted scenes material. Obviously I don't know what kind of stuff you have left on the editing floor, but I would think something like an extended scene of a design meeting could be interesting. The very first team meeting (with Chris Remo crushing Tim's dreams), the puzzle meetings with John and the Act II design kickoff meeting all spring to mind. In edited form they often don't make a whole lot of sense, because of spoiler issues, but I guess it could be interesting to watch them in their entirety. Also, if there's some nice extended footage of, for instance, the recording sessions with the small ensemble and MSO: watching live music never gets old.

(And obviously a Lee Petty's funny faces reel should be included as an easter egg! ;-)).

Are subtitles planned ? (is it the "closed captionning" part ?)

I guess the translation initiative that was started (and dropped) is completely dropped and we won't have anything else than English ?

I'd really like to see you guys do an in depth interview with Tim (and maybe some other staff on DFA) about the reception and impressions and media reportings that have been spread around about Broken Age, Double Fine and Kickstarters in general both with regard to the Broken Age development, the splitting decision, the events around SpaceBase DF-9 exiting Early Acces, how his taking stance in the GamerGate issue affected that, and on the laying off of staff that happened, and how that has affected DF and BA.

so-much-THIS-fireworks.gif

Just wanted to add my vote to moving as many sidequests as possible to YouTube.

I very much like the idea of a closing "post-mortem" (as in the game, not Tim!) interview, but please, please god, keep it on-topic. I personally don't care about Spacebase or Gamergate except in the ways that it impacted DFA, which I imagine would be almost zero

Sign in to follow this