Sign in to follow this  
Levering_2pp

Wrapping Up the Double Fine Adventure (Requests?)

Could we also hear a tiny bit from 2PP about this endeavor -- what it was like from your side? It'd be great to even just have a few minutes on this.

Smiles

Could we also hear a tiny bit from 2PP about this endeavor -- what it was like from your side? It'd be great to even just have a few minutes on this.

Smiles

That could be interesting. Maybe let Tim or Greg or someone turn the interview around and ask 2PP some questions. Like some things I have wondered a couple of times...

---If 2PP puts something in the documentary, and then a member of the backer-press takes a bit of info from the documentary and reports a version of the info that lacks the context of the rest of the documentary, how does that make 2PP feel?

---Have there been situations where 2PP edited the doc in a particular way, chose to include/exclude something, and then it turned out that backers or someone in the backer-press saw the doc and misinterpreted what was presented in a negative way or a way that 2PP totally did not intend? Has that happened, and how does 2PP feel about that? Do they have any thoughts to share on their experiences with those kinds of issues?

---Any other interesting lessons 2PP have learned about making this kind of documentary?

The only thing I care about is that it looks good on Bluray :)

Actually there IS one thing I would like: An interview with the documentary filmmakers and DF staffers talking about what it was like working on a documentary for this long. It need only be a few mins long, but I would love to pull back the curtain (even more!) and hear people talk about their feelings about the documentary itself: Being filmed, filming it, etc. etc.

Are subtitles planned ? (is it the "closed captionning" part ?)

I guess the translation initiative that was started (and dropped) is completely dropped and we won't have anything else than English ?

Subtitles are important. I hope they're included.

I strongly agree with the suggestion of subtitles. I tend to watch pretty much everything with subtitles on, and it would be a very nice extra to have for this documentary series.

I haven't seen anyone else mention this, and it might seem obvious, but personally I'd love to see the original KickStarter pitch video included on the Blu-Ray set. I found the pitch video to be entirely awesome, and it would be a shame if it was forever lost to the bowels of the Internet. Since the documentary series would never have existed without the pitch video coming along first, it seems like a very relevant thing to include on the discs.

I second the motion to include the original Pitch Video! Motion passed; let it be done :)

I have noticed that Tim and greg make pretty frequent visits to IGN and Giant Bomb. Perhaps you could do a feature with some of the guys at those outlets about their reactions to the project and how it has been received by people outside of our little Double Fine community.

I'd really like to see a behind the scenes at 2PP with some documentation of your own processes :)

Since the game will be finished by the time this comes out, would it be possible to re edit some of the episodes to include discussions from the development team that dealt with spoilers and the like? It might give a better idea of all that went into making the game.

Since the game will be finished by the time this comes out, would it be possible to re edit some of the episodes to include discussions from the development team that dealt with spoilers and the like? It might give a better idea of all that went into making the game.
We'll be removing the spoiler blurs from the episodes, but as far as adding in new spoiler scenes, that's hard to say. It's more likely stuff like that would be listed as a bonus or deleted scene.

I'd really like to see a behind the scenes at 2PP with some documentation of your own processes :)
We did a few early forum posts about our workflow, but there really isn't much to tell. This remains an accurate depiction of the process- tTBWPrv.gif

I have noticed that Tim and greg make pretty frequent visits to IGN and Giant Bomb. Perhaps you could do a feature with some of the guys at those outlets about their reactions to the project and how it has been received by people outside of our little Double Fine community.
We're planning that for the post-release episode 20 stuff, if those guys will take part in it.

We did a few early forum posts about our workflow, but there really isn't much to tell. This remains an accurate depiction of the process- tTBWPrv.gif

Right, I think the most interesting aspect would simply be to hear how 2PP has felt about all the project, and less about the mechanics of your documentary since your write-ups were great at that.

Smiles

I strongly agree with the suggestion of subtitles. I tend to watch pretty much everything with subtitles on, and it would be a very nice extra to have for this documentary series.

I haven't seen anyone else mention this, and it might seem obvious, but personally I'd love to see the original KickStarter pitch video included on the Blu-Ray set. I found the pitch video to be entirely awesome, and it would be a shame if it was forever lost to the bowels of the Internet. Since the documentary series would never have existed without the pitch video coming along first, it seems like a very relevant thing to include on the discs.

We're submitting for CC soon, it's a requirement now if you want to release on anything like iTunes. The pitch video will be on the disc for sure, along with anything else we have the space for and rights to use.

The only thing I care about is that it looks good on Bluray :)

Actually there IS one thing I would like: An interview with the documentary filmmakers and DF staffers talking about what it was like working on a documentary for this long. It need only be a few mins long, but I would love to pull back the curtain (even more!) and hear people talk about their feelings about the documentary itself: Being filmed, filming it, etc. etc.

Episode 20 should cover that type of stuff, that's the planned wrap up episode. It should look pretty good on blu-ray as well, we're giving everything a look over for any improvements we can make.

That could be interesting. Maybe let Tim or Greg or someone turn the interview around and ask 2PP some questions. Like some things I have wondered a couple of times...

---If 2PP puts something in the documentary, and then a member of the backer-press takes a bit of info from the documentary and reports a version of the info that lacks the context of the rest of the documentary, how does that make 2PP feel?

Annoyed.

---Have there been situations where 2PP edited the doc in a particular way, chose to include/exclude something, and then it turned out that backers or someone in the backer-press saw the doc and misinterpreted what was presented in a negative way or a way that 2PP totally did not intend? Has that happened, and how does 2PP feel about that? Do they have any thoughts to share on their experiences with those kinds of issues?

Certain people are always going to choose to form the narrative they want to hear it. Even if you lay it all out, doesn't matter. Just something you have to live with.

---Any other interesting lessons 2PP have learned about making this kind of documentary?

You can never have enough storage space and a fast enough connection to it. Quality sound equipment is a worthy investment. Educating people about game development is an uphill battle, and for that very reason a very important one.

Just wanted to add my vote to moving as many sidequests as possible to YouTube.
Most of them are accounted for in 1080p, some earlier ones are in 720p but we may be able to hook the sources back up.

Are subtitles planned ? (is it the "closed captionning" part ?)

I guess the translation initiative that was started (and dropped) is completely dropped and we won't have anything else than English ?

The translation initiative ended up being a full time job in itself, one we didn't have time or resources to oversee. We'll have to get it done professionally or open up the CC files to the fans after the fact, once things have slowed down a bit.

I'd really like to see you guys do an in depth interview with Tim (and maybe some other staff on DFA) about the reception and impressions and media reportings that have been spread around about Broken Age, Double Fine and Kickstarters in general both with regard to the Broken Age development, the splitting decision, the events around SpaceBase DF-9 exiting Early Acces, how his taking stance in the GamerGate issue affected that, and on the laying off of staff that happened, and how that has affected DF and BA.
I feel like this is all stuff we've covered over the course of the documentary.

Will those who've purchased the Doc on VHX see special features on there?
Backers and VHX purchasers (who buy before the release of the game) will be upgraded with all the special content for free. We're thinking we'll raise the price after the doc is finished and the game is released, create a normal and special edition version.

I'm most interested in discussions about the puzzles and plot that had to be cut because of spoilers.

Also bloopers :)

I already said most of these things in the other thread Tim made about the doc., but whatevs. Things I'd like to see:

A Digital/Steam release with a nice interface that included the Sidequests, concept art, alpha/beta versions of the games, and generally an extended version of the extra content found on the disc version (all disks could come with a code to access the digital version).

More scenes that are explicitly about spoilery content, not just scenes that happen to have it in the background.

Most of the other things I suggested you are already doing.

Also I could do Spanish subtitles if you need them but I'm no pro :P

We're submitting for CC soon, it's a requirement now if you want to release on anything like iTunes. The pitch video will be on the disc for sure, along with anything else we have the space for and rights to use.

Awesome, thanks for the reply.

I just want to take this opportunity to deeply thank you and all the guys from 2PP for the absolutely top-notch work you've done on this documentary. When I decided to back Double Fine Adventure, I was pretty much completely in it for the game; to me, the documentary was almost an afterthought - a fun bonus I might check out in small chunks if I got around to it. However, as more and more episodes of the documentary series became available, I slowly realized that I was becoming just as interested in the documentary as I was in the idea of a new Tim Schafer adventure game (which is incredibly high praise, as you guys well know).

I've thoroughly enjoyed everything you guys have released as part of this project, and at this point I'd have been happy paying $100 for the documentary and $100 for the game - separately. Not only has your work been five-star quality, but the way you listen to (and clearly care about) your fans is an example of excellence all other companies should aspire to.

I'm positive I'm not the only one who feels this way, either - so thanks again.

Uhm...there's a DVD RELEASE? Awesome! Please tell me I can buy it if I didn't back it. I'd love to if at all possible.

I'd also say that an interview with Tim regarding the new developments with press he and Double Fine as a company had to endure in this journey would be a really neat addition, especiallly GamerGate stuff or the conflicts of being loyal to the promises to the backers and the decisions that needed to be made. In addition, Tim has been an outstanding voice in the face of GamerGate and I'd love to hear the experiences he's had about it and his opinion on how he dealt with all the bile and hate. Some people don't respond well to it, he really does.

And, yeah, as all the others have said, thank you so much for the hard work and fantastic documentary 2PP. It's been incredibly good.

Are there plans to include Video Description for the blind and low vision?

I was about to ask the same thing...

A making of ? I Know it is a bit "Inception like" to do a "making of" vidéo of a game making of documentary, but as a filmschool student and aspiring film/document filmmaker, I am curious abouy thé way you did it.

Maybe asking for this is a bit too late since the adventure is almost over, but here is what i want !

Keep up the great work ans good luck going through all this footage !

Maybe a brief run down video showing a room with all the equipment you guys have used to make this documentary over the years, so as the camera pans around the room, a list will name the item, ie such and such boom mics, slab of hard drives, etc.

There are a few older threads detailing what goes into making the documentary that might be of interest to anyone that might have missed them:

2 Player Productions Equipment Catalog

Making the Pitch Video

Making the Episode

Making the Episode: Peter Chan’s Island (extended cut)

There might be more too, but those were the ones I remembered. Things have probably changed since 2012 though, and I agree that it would be interesting with an episode going into depth about the making of the documentary.

Sign in to follow this