Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anemone

Tim requests happiest game news story from 2014

Tim requests happiest gaming news from last year:

Sounds like he hasn't gotten a lot of good responses. Post any stories you saw last year (not related to Double Fine) that made you super happy.

Here's my nomination:

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/NayanRamachandran/20140624/219651/Strangers_in_a_Strange_Land_Japanese_Indies_at_PAX_East_2014.php

I think reading about the genuine surprise and happiness from the Japanese devs that they had fans in the west who knew their names and wanted to meet them is so awesome. That is a delicious happiness milkshake to me.

Well, GOG announcement that they're doing Galaxy was pretty nice.

I don't think any single game caught my interest enough to qualify, but possibly I count Overwatch reveal from Blizzard - A new IP from a company that isn't quite the shining star they used to be was quite good to hear. And Blizzard games still sell millions just on the Blizzard name.

IIRC there were several announcements of game engines getting cheaper/available to use for small developers/new releases, like Cryengine, Unreal, Unity.

Otherwise, loads of indies, like Transistor, but I was more interested in news about gaming rather than news about games, and there's always less good news than bad news.

I think news about gaming is better than news about games. I'd rather hear news that's happy on account of something good/cool happening to people. Not news that's happy because "I got something I wanted".

This is part of the reason why I tend to read Gamasutra or blogs more than consumer-oriented game news sites/feeds. I like news that's a little more event/people oriented and less about wetting the palette of consumers.

b90nGJEgzIY TUkXeoyK80Y Op6nKAz-7pI yjvb7VlERsg Tgtr9Ov6eqI gBQe8Oyf8qU TQCbbMDHHqE

So, AGDQ 2015 probably doesn't count, because, of course, 2015 (that doesn't decrease its' immense awesomeness).

Microsoft buying Mojang was, I'd say, the most underrated gaming news story of the year. Humble TIGsource game developer made whole in a big way, and Minecraft hasn't been microtransacted to death.

Twitch Plays Pokemon turned what is normally a vitriolic cesspool (Twitch Chat) into a collective, bizarre social experiment.

Twitch Plays Pokemon turned what is normally a vitriolic cesspool (Twitch Chat) into a collective, bizarre social experiment.

Haha, I almost forgot that was a thing that happened. That was pretty funny.

I'd say "Wasteland 2 was released and lived up to the hype and then some."

After all, I backed game because of Tim's recommendation, and I have no regrets!

This is a bit local but over here in Perth (Western Australia) we've just had our first ever Games Festival: http://letsmakegames.org/2014/10/14/final-word-on-the-perth-games-festival-photos-timelapse-thanks-tweets/ (I'm that head all the way to the right in the back!)

We expected maybe 600-700 people, but more than 1600 showed up (the city looked empty when we went to give out flyers). There were so many parents who went with their children and supported their hobby/career inspiration.

It's hard to find a single separate news story that stands out, but it doesn't mean that it was bad. From where I stand, I look at what developers do and what games that get released or are in the pipeline, it looks just splendid.

The bad things that got so much coverage, Gamergate, buggy AAA releases, etc, has been really easy for me to just avoid.

If I would list great stories:

*The Grim Fandango announcement - Feel Good Factor maxed!

*The Talos Principle - Where did this come from?! :)

*Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Crowdfunding working, and being iterated on in a splendid way.

*Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Crowdfunding working, and being iterated on in a splendid way.

I really need to go back to Shadowrun. The gameplay wasn't anything new and exciting, but it didn't need to be. The writing and scenarios were excellent.

Also, I really REALLY miss games where the dialogue is text only. It's so much better than VO in some cases.

I really need to go back to Shadowrun. The gameplay wasn't anything new and exciting, but it didn't need to be. The writing and scenarios were excellent.

Also, I really REALLY miss games where the dialogue is text only. It's so much better than VO in some cases.

If you feel like reading text in a game, check out Sunless Sea.

Smiles

Well, I didn't play the Seattle campaign, or the old Shadowrun games, but I thought the gameplay in Dragonfall was pretty splendid. Great turnbased combat with overwatch, varied classes and pretty good use of covers. And other then that, it had good dialogues with skill checks, so I thought it filled pretty much all wishlists. :)

And yeah, text only really lifts a game. :)

Sign in to follow this