Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Important question to backers about the DFA doc

Hello Backers of Adventure!

I want to thank you once again for all your support, and to all the responses to our recent update about Broken Age being in Beta, you backers are the best! I also wanted to get your thoughts on something...

Despite all the good progress we've made on the game, and our announcement about Beta, you may have noticed that there's a lot of negativity out there -- much of it is aimed at Kickstarter projects in general, but a whole lot of it is aimed squarely at us and Broken Age.

A great deal of it stems from misinformation -- from tweets, forum posts etc, claiming that the project is dead, or that we asked for more money despite getting 'way more than we needed' to make the project. Our backers have always been on the frontline of that information battle, correcting those mistakes on forums, in YouTube comments, and sometimes even in the press! Thanks once again for having our backs, we're truly grateful.

To help in that effort, many of you have suggested making our Double Fine Adventure documentary public so that people can see the real story of what happened during the production of this game. It's certainly a compelling idea to us, not only for the reason above, but because it fits in line with our mission to open the doors to development and be transparent as possible.

However, since this documentary was an important backer reward, releasing it into the public is not something we would ever do before hearing from you, the backers, about how you felt about it... Good idea? Or no?

If we were to share the DFA story with the outside world, I feel we could still retain some exclusivity for backers by releasing it publicly for streaming only, and at a lower quality than the downloadable, higher quality backer edition. Backers (and VHX purchasers) would also have exclusive access to extras and special features.

We think that the DFA story and documentary is really special, and sharing it with the world could do some good, but what do you think? Taking care of our backers is super important to us, so we'd love to hear your thoughts!

-Tim

Personally, I think it's a great idea to release it.

I've got my value out of my backing ten fold through watching the documentaries alone (let alone playing the game), and I don't think the value is diminished at all by other people being able to view it as well.

Maybe releasing the core documentary to the public, but keeping all the Sidequests as backer only continues to give us a feeling of being 'special'?

I've gotta admit, I have mixed feelings about this. I think it's because in spite of all the delays of the game, I always kept saying to myself: At least the documentary was well worth the 100 bucks already. Making it public for free would certainly feel weird to me, but if you sold it (separately, that is), I think I'm okay with it... feelings are a weird thing :P

I think that releasing it to the public is a great idea.

Whether it'll help improve people's perception of the project or not is a different matter altogether...

I've gotta admit, I have mixed feelings about this. I think it's because in spite of all the delays of the game, I always kept saying to myself: At least the documentary was well worth the 100 bucks already. Making it public for free would certainly feel weird to me, but if you sold it (separately, that is), I think I'm okay with it... feelings are a weird thing :P

So we have your endorsement to sell the doc for $100?

So we have your endorsement to sell the doc for $100?

Absolutely :lol:

I think it's a good idea, do a slow public roll out. I say go for it!

Sidenote: Also it'd be cool if we could download the side quests! (get it, I put the side quests in the sidenote cause...ya)

When I backed the documentary was an afterthought so I really wouldn't care too much about it's public release. Of course, when it came to Massive Chalice and Amnesia Fortnight, the doc was the main reason I backed. I think that says something about how good a job 2PP did. (And I just realized they made Reformat the Planet, pretty awesome.)

Well the documentary indeed was an important thing awarded only to backers. However , I do not think that its importance is attributed to the fact that we were the only ones to have access to it. Its real value for me and I think for every backer was that we got to see the development of the game while it was actually developed. This particular temporality of the documentary is what provided a real value for backers. The fact that they were able to see a game and how it was produced prior its actual release. In this perspective the real value of this particular award for us the backers has, I think, a limited lifespan, which will end when the game is actually released.

So in this perspective I cannot object to documentary's public release. We backers got what was promised from it, we appreciated its value but I think that we cannot request to have it for ourselves only. Not only this will not be possible infinitely but also we do not have the right to do it.

So in my opinion, the documentary should absolutely become publicly available, but ONLY when the game is finally released, and under two very specific conditions:

1) This should be done free of charge, because If not this will be considered for many as another trick to get money for the game, which will act on the opposite direction from the reason we want to publish it

2) It should become available in all its glory, and not in some low quality version of it, so that everyone can appreciate what we got and they didn't.

Enough said, I think I could not become more clear.

I think it's a good idea, for all that negativity I've never seen anyone talk sh*t about Massive Chalice. And the fact that it's completely public may be why.

Go ahead and release it. We got our value already by having early access; I think it'd help if the world could see inside the development process.

Granted, I don't think this is a panacea for the image problems. People who have decided to loathe Broken Age, DoubleFine, or Tim in general because of various agendas are always going to loathe. But maybe it'll help some folks on the fence, or hey, at least be entertaining.

I'd say releasing it to the public is a good idea, but maybe have it be one episode behind from what the backers get. This way, the public still gets a good idea of what's happened while backers still get to watch new episodes before everybody else.

Of course you should release it. While I love that I've been able to follow along live, I think it's something that should be shown at any school teaching game design.

I pledged $100 and wanted to see the doc most of all. I say go for it. I'm not sure if it'll actually change much in a way DFA is perceived from the outside, but it would be great for a whole bunch of people who couldn't pledge to this for a variety of reasons to get to see it after all.

I'm a game developer myself, and players often misunderstand what it takes to make a game. I make posts all the time explaining to them the rigors of game development. So I'm all for anything to further their understanding of game development. Doubly so for anything that shows how hard the devs work on a game. I think it would be awesome to share it with everyone.

I think releasing it would be a good idea. There's a nice catalogue of back episodes that could be put out on a weekly/monthly schedule if you wanted to stagger it. I'd still prefer to get the newest videos before general release, but only by a week or two to make sure I've had a chance to watch it before the discussion kicks up and spoils it for me.

I've immensely enjoyed the documentary and sincerely hope DF will consider doing another, but I think the only reasonable way for that to be a realistic possibility is to get what's been done out to more people.

Get it out there. Not only would it help clear up some misconceptions, it's the best (if not only) glimpse into what making a game is really like. I always expected it would get wider release when the game is done anyway. Getting it out before the big final release would be even better.

Maybe make it free but charge for the HD version?

I support the release of the documentary to the public, such as through the Double Fine youtube page.

I absolutely loved the Devs Play series, and think the Broken Age documentary will fit well there as well.

Huge props to the 2 Player Productions team for sticking with the project for so long, and making one of the most entertaining documentary series I've ever seen. :)

I am all for it, the content should be free for all to see so anyone interested can have a better idea of how games are made!

I think it would be good to share, provided it's streaming-only, so there's some exclusivity.

Don't let the haters get you down! The first act was amazing, and I would willingly wait as long as it takes to finish Act 2!

I think it's a GREAT idea. I had not idea how much I would enjoy the Doc when I backed and furthermore how much I would learn. I think it would do people well to see it.

Share it with the world I say! :)

Honestly, I think it's a better use of my money to make a public documentary than a private one. So effing go for it.

I don't know if it will help offset the negativity, but it must be killing you to have answers already filmed and being unable to use them as arguments :)

ETA: as a posdata, the first/main thing I learned from this doc is "wow, I have no idea how much making a game costs."

Another vote for "ship it". I think having early access to the doc all these months was more than enough of a bonus for backers. Or, well, at least for me. :)

As with others, I think in honesty I have no problem with the documentary being launched, but as others have suggested probably the best way to do it is not release them all at once, and rather have them staggered so that backers get them first and you release them slowly to the public - I mean, those of us who backed from the start started getting episodes of the documentary two years ago now, so really I like to think of them as like a DVD/Video release - if I buy a movie two years ago, I don't tend to get pissed off that someone can buy the same movie for less than a tenth of the price I paid now, you know? (In fact, if we're using the TV analogy by the time it's two years later those movies are on free TV by this point anyway).

So yeah, most certainly for the older episodes, maybe hold back on the more recent ones or release them in a schedule, so the backers have a period of exclusivity or whatever (maybe a month or two) for future episodes.

I gave my money so that I may support my friends, play a game, and watch a video. I didn't pay to stop anyone else from doing the same. The value for me as a consumer is to consume the product, regardless of how other people consume it. Giving anything away, doesn't decrease the value proposition for me. If anything it may add to it, since more people will have seen it, and I can talk to them about it.

Sign in to follow this