Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Important question to backers about the DFA doc

Yeah share it with the world, hopefully it will help others understand the ups and downs of the process.

I feel I have learned so much from you all, that has more than covered what I backed for, many time over. I have an excellent game thrown in too, for which I am really looking forward to the next installment. Thank you.

I have already received far more value for my investment than expected by virtue of following the story as it happened. And this kind of story, in my opinion, would be valuable for anyone who loves games, business, art, technology, and Greg's beard. The documentary should be open and HD for everyone to experience. My vote is in favour of public release.

hell yeah! do it for free.

it's like your duty to release it. because if not, then what? i don't want to keep it all to myself, i want to share it because i love it.

haters gonna hate so i'm not sure how much difference it would make on that front, but this is good work. i can only imagine the comfort and impact watching something like this as a kid might have had on me. i want kids to watch it and be encouraged to go for it, whatever that it might be. and if it's for free the cursing and Lee Petty talking about dildos or whatever is less likely to become a reason why they couldn't :P

Totally happy for it to go public - I backed largely to get the documentary but wouldn't feel burned at all if you decide to release publicly :) - is there plans for a blu-ray release? I backed the latest AF with the blu-ray tier and kinda wish I'd done the same for DFA.

I'm fine with the release.

If you go ahead with this, could slacker backers get a download option? As far as I know, we're only able to stream at the moment, but it'd be nice to have a local copy.

@Uniikki

Yep but take it one step further and see it in context with free information sharing.

To be clear: We had this discussion when DF opened up the non backer threads for the DFA already. I'm unsure about how big the influence will be. People who are informed, already know why they (dis)like certain aspects/processes of different kind of Kickstarter campaigns, well, there won't be a change for those.

On the other side there are also people who weren't involved and dissed the project also for wrong reasons. A certain percentage might see things through different eyes afterwards. Others won't and might even use info against you but those might not be the customers you want anyway. It's generally positive to share and enjoy.

Absolutely release it to all, without restrictions and start doing so immediately.

The Documentary have indeed been one of the best perks I have ever experienced when buying a game. And I got it, three years before anyone else. Now I am so excited about the game and the documentary episodes that I just want to share share share with everyone. So please release them for the public so I can tell everyone I know that they just MUST see it... and then buy the game!! So no need to be greedy. We had our fun, now let the world rejoice with us!

This is a good idea, and I'm in favour of it for three reasons.

1. The documentary is fantastic, and deserves a wider audience. 2 Player Productions deserves the recognition that comes from that exposure.

2. There seems to be a huge disconnect between the willingness of backers to accept (inter alia) the decision to split Broken Age into two acts, and the general negativity of the wider public and press. In large part, that disconnect can be explained by the fact that backers have seen the documentary. If releasing the documentary can help to give context to decisions made by Double Fine over the last couple of years, then that can only be a good thing for the game (which, I assume, most of us would like to be as successful as possible).

3. Following the documentary during the entire development of Broken Age has been amazing, to the extent that the game almost feels like a bonus. Giving everyone access to it for free would take nothing away from my own experience. I can understand if other backers might feel short-changed, but that can be mitigated by (as you suggested) reserving the special features for backers and giving backers early access to as yet unreleased episodes.

So yes, release the documentary for free. The sooner the better.

Good idea.

I'd also be fine with making the higher quality version available to the public.

As someone earlier in the thread said: "SHIP IT."

I'd love to let everyone be able to watch this incredibly good documentary. And while no one will feel the personal journey me and so many other backers have experienced along the way, I think it's extremely entertaining and should be insightful to the public and the press.

Plus it'd be a good marketing tool to boost sales upon part 2 shipping. ;)

I really liked the documentary and if it can help in setting the records straight, I think it's fine to release it for free. It's also a great way to prove what value kickstarter campaigns can create. And for all the other reasons already mentioned here, I'd say: Get it out there!

Bad idea. I backed for the exclusive experience. Not an experience that was time bound and therefore accessible to all = not exclusive. Thumbs down disappointing. Feels like a money grab.

Bad idea. I backed for the exclusive experience. Not an experience that was time bound and therefore accessible to all = not exclusive. Thumbs down disappointing. Feels like a money grab.

They're thinking of doing it free - not a money grab.

I am happy for it go for public , we did get exclusive access as the game was being made that was more than i could ask for

as a slacker backer my biggest feelings about the documentary was that everybody should see it.

i generally feel like exclusivity and "for your eyes only" things are BS, the open development style of massive chalice was much better.

still you have people that can't be bothered to become informed and watch the videos, so really it will still be an exclusive group of people that have a genuine interest in learning about the development that will actually watch the hours of footage

Definitely release it! It's an enlightening documentary and should be seen by all.

REALLY??? They want to use exclusive content that we paid for as 'free' marketing material to promote the game. No, don't use the exclusive material that we paid for and was promised to the backers. Find an alternative solution. The experience has been interesting up until this announcement. If the exclusive content is no longer exclusive then I will not return to KickStarter for another experience like this. When a person gives their word, it used to mean something. My feedback to the announcement is to keep your word. You got my attention - this is my first posting to the forums.

I can't believe all the sheep in this forum. BAAAAAA!!!!!!!

I don't keep up with the news and while I'm not a fan of Kickstarter, I have no negative feelings towards Double Fine or Broken Age. Do what you need to do with the videos, no problem from me.

REALLY??? They want to use exclusive content that we paid for as 'free' marketing material to promote the game. No, don't use the exclusive material that we paid for and was promised to the backers. Find an alternative solution. The experience has been interesting up until this announcement. If the exclusive content is no longer exclusive then I will not return to KickStarter for another experience like this. When a person gives their word, it used to mean something. My feedback to the announcement is to keep your word. You got my attention - this is my first posting to the forums.

what do you actually gain from it being exclusive? apart from a special feeling

They actually never said anything about using the exclusive content as a marketing material to promote the game, they wanted to promote the documentary of making a game and the trials it goes through.

You also have to see this is actually a tool to try and fix relationships with individuals that think this game is dead or that Double Fine is always asking for more money thanks to Double Fine staying extra quiet about their game because they've tried to honor the idea of a private experience of this game's development with the backers. Being totally private and honoring our agreement has actually hurt this company that you like/love. It actually took balls to not cave in and show the documentary episodes to everyone when video game publications were stating "Tim Schafer is asking for more money for Kickstarter project." Their dedication to their promise to you up to this point earns the ability to release the episodes slowly on YouTube if you ask me. They're not going to be able to download them in 720 or 1080 like we can, they won't get the documentary soundtrack or all the other perks.

Double Fine have done that, and they will continue to do that. All Double Fine is going to do is release the previous episodes on YouTube up to this point, slowly. We're going to get any of this content before the general public and all of the videos up to this point have been months or years old, all they do is allow people to understand where Double Fine are in the development and how they've never asked for more money from us.

In addition, you should absolutely return to Kickstarter any time you want. Double Fine has no association with Kickstarter aside from Kickstarter projects they put there. I don't see why you'd be angry at Kickstarter for Double Fine doing this.

Ok there are emotions bound to this. First i was promised a game, an old school point and click adventure. If i give more money im more valued as a backer and because of that ill get a top notch documentary.

I, and many other feel "better" because we put "more heart (money)" in this project then others.

Thats the emotional bounding we are talking about here.

Tim, for some reasons which are not very well enlighted, asks us; valued-emotional-bound-backers to give up a something that made us special so he can use it as a mere tool.

Yes that hurts a bit on the emotional side, but there is still logic in it. The game gets better promoted, there will be an imageboost for the whole company, and 2pp, etc. To let us still have that: "im special and i have invested emotions"-feeling he offers us to only release the documentation as videostreams.

I think i showed both sides of the medailon.

I have a few questions for Tim:

Is this request for the benefit of sales or does DF need an imageboost , if so, why?.

Maybe 2pp wants to get better promoted through this?

Or is there a completly different reason? After all it is important enough to endanger your relationship with 85k backers..?!

If you realy want our optionen (85K Backers, not 100 Backers which have time to read and write in this forum to give you an opinion), give us a tool where we can vote please! Then invite the whole "family". Otherwise u only get answers from ppl in this forum and not the whole lot, which deserve it to vote.

By the way, im fine with it, id just like to know the true reasons..

Yup! Do it man. Like many others said, I feel the temporal nature of the documentary was what made it so spectacularly fascinating - it's still cool now, but knowing that us backers were the very first line of hearing about all the newest stuff on this amazing game is what really made it all worth it!

As long as there is a fair split of the game's revenue with 2pp, I am totally ok with it.

Does this include releasing the Sidequests?

Either way, I'm for it being released publicly.

Sure, release it to the publice. Don't care if paid or free but I think no matter how, it's a great idea!

And send the links to the press asap :)

Hello Tim,

I am fine with releasing the documentary to the public. I fear it won't change the opinion of those haters, but it will hopefully create some advertisement for act 2, increase sales and in the end would enable DF to make another adventure game after DFA. As a backer this would give me more satisfaction than owning exclusive content: a documentary about the one and only adventure game ever made by DF ...

I would like to see that via the public release some revenue is created (e.g. via ads) which should go to 2PP - use it as a foundation to further finance such ingenious series like "Devs Play" (playing Doom with John Romero - how great was that!), that way there will be no discussion about milking cows, cheating backers out of there money for creating more money, breaking promises and what else people will come up with to make this look bad.

=> New task: create a Win-Win situation for all involved parties (Backers, DF, 2PP).

These are my two cents on this topic.

Eventually that movie you your friends dropped $20 a ticket on airs on TV for free, and the only thing that happens to pieces that don't get shown is that they get forgotten. The point of this documentary was to educate people on the process and it can't do that locked the the backers-forum. If 2Player is OK with this (because their work is well worth spending money on) I say go for it.

Sign in to follow this