Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Important question to backers about the DFA doc

Yes, I'm happy for you to do whatever you want with the documentary. As far as I'm concerned I backed so that it could be made, and not for any kind of exclusivity over who gets to see it.

I've really enjoyed it so far and it would be good to be able to point non backer friends in it's direction.

I would absolutely be in favour of releasing it to everyone. I'm in the camp that backed it so that it would get made. The more people who see it, the better.

Yes. Release it.

I think of this whole kickstarter as a roller coaster. I bought a seat before the coaster was even built. Or planned out! But here I am now, three years later coasting into the exit depot and I've had a great time; Chills, thrills, laughs and even some scary bits. I got exactly what I paid for and I would LOVE it if others had the chance to take a ride now too. I will always have the honor of saying I was there from the beginning. I even helped get this thing built in some small way!

In fact, please release the doc.

Cushlamochree! Sorry, but I'm not gonna read the sixteen pages of comments (I hope all of them are in favor of the documentary being released). Just found out about this request via the most recent KS update and just wanted to say: of course I support releasing that puppy into the wild! I mean, it's been exclusive to backers for three years, the entire time the game was in development. Backers exclusively were able to watch and see the behind-the-scenes progression during that time. To me, that fulfills what you initially promised. Now that the game is almost done and the documentary nearly finished, what would be the point of not releasing the great documentary into the world at large? (Don't y'all just love rhetorical questions?)

The 2 Player Productions folks exerted a lot of hard work and effort and made a wonderful documentary; it'd be silly not to let as many people experience it as possible. That'd be like if "Burden of Dreams" and "Hearts of Darkness" were never released and only shown to close family/friends and financial backers, instead of being the widely-available edifying, great works that they are, able to be enjoyed by anyone at any time.

The world wants to dance and it needs a beat, so, 2 Player wizards, go to it--get that documentary in tip-top shape and send that puppy off to the lions:

(Yeah yeah of course everything post-Pinkerton has been mostly bad. I still like that silly video.)

It's a very good and lovely idea to release the entire thing publically. Please do so!

Not only should you release it, but you should use it as a marketing tool and do it Weird Al style. You should release 1 episode per day, with the first episode released 2-3 days before the street date of the game. That should build up interest in the game for a few days before it releases, then keep people talking about the game by hitting them with episode after episode while the game is available for purchase.

Release exactly HALF of the episodes now, in a random order, and challenge people to try and put together their own events from the missing episodes, and then, after Act 2 goes live, release the rest.

I'm all for releasing documentary, but please please lay off hardcore comments moderation on youtube. When you erase everything but the most glowing praise it doesn't make it look more friendly, instead showing some kind of creepy unison along the lines of a cult.

People do have different opinions, and it's really wrong to silence those don't agree with, even if you have that power. And anyone who spent more than 15 minutes on youtube (meaning - absolutely everyone) pretty much grasped how comments sections work, no need to treat your audience like babies that can't possibly withstand reading anything remotely harsh or critical.

These kinds of attempts to control other people's minds put you only in more trouble before, I hope you'll learn to just let it go.

ps. One example of good comments handling is youtube channel Scam School - they don't remove anything, instead answering in short witty manner and with respect to every troll and idiot, quickly defusing situation and making themselves look even better - but not at the expense of others.

I bet it takes a very talented person to consistently pull that off, but you could at least try..

Not only should you release it, but you should use it as a marketing tool and do it Weird Al style. You should release 1 episode per day, with the first episode released 2-3 days before the street date of the game. That should build up interest in the game for a few days before it releases, then keep people talking about the game by hitting them with episode after episode while the game is available for purchase.

Yhea, releasing the documentation some weeks before the game release is probably a good idea! The Documentation-Release thing will certainly bring you some (and whats the best) very positive headlines and a big interest.

Relasing the Episodes not at once but part by part is awesome too!(good thing with "one episode per day")

+ Maybe you should also announce the documentation Release early enough.

This Documentations are highly professional and entertaining stuff! It should have some media-presens!

I mean the Documentation is not only an explanation what was going on, on the project, but it is a huge fun watching those! And you shall sell it like that ;)

I don't know how many weeks we still have till the whole game is RELEASED (whoop whoop)

But you should use the option making a hype about it with this whole documentation early enough. I mean, this forum was now clear enough that you have our full support ^^

I have no problem about it being released free to the public, but I'd be most comfortable with it if it waited.

For me, a big part of the value of the documentary part of the kickstarter is being granted permission to follow the creative process as it happens, while bubbling with anticipation. To release it to the public right away makes it feel less special. When the game is out, that value of the kickstarter experience just isn't there anymore, and in that way the backers have got something special for their money that the ones getting the documentary for free won't have.

Actually, the half of the episodes-solution isn't so bad either. Act I is out, and that's a closed chapter of the developement process, so releasing the process up to the release of Act 1 would make sense.

But I don't mind that much either way. We have had the exclusivity for a really long time already, and since Act 2 is nearing completion, a few more months of exclusivity doesn't really matter that much. Still, I would feel the best about it if you waited until the project is all wrapped up.

A nephew is really interested in game programming and liked the episodes I showed him when he was down for the summer.

I didn't want to give a 13 year old Uncle Crusty's user + pass and forge my login.

This would allow him to see what being a game programmer would be like. Heck maybe in some years from now he'll be knocking on your door all hyped up about the documentaries you posted looking for a gig.

Could happen...

I have no problem about it being released free to the public, but I'd be most comfortable with it if it waited.

For me, a big part of the value of the documentary part of the kickstarter is being granted permission to follow the creative process as it happens, while bubbling with anticipation. To release it to the public right away makes it feel less special. When the game is out, that value of the kickstarter experience just isn't there anymore, and in that way the backers have got something special for their money that the ones getting the documentary for free won't have.

Actually, the half of the episodes-solution isn't so bad either. Act I is out, and that's a closed chapter of the developement process, so releasing the process up to the release of Act 1 would make sense.

But I don't mind that much either way. We have had the exclusivity for a really long time already, and since Act 2 is nearing completion, a few more months of exclusivity doesn't really matter that much. Still, I would feel the best about it if you waited until the project is all wrapped up.

We allready did saw like felt 95% of the documentations first, the first ones like 2 years before anyone else. And really, we still can have the good feeling those episodes was originally purly made for us. Now they are so great, that i think it would be a waste not making it public.

And the whole kickstarter thing, really, was making it possible to choose as a gamer what kind of games are going to be made and choose studios we want to create awesome stuff for us. So if they are making more money, when the documentation is getting released now, before the whole game is going to be released, and is creating a bigger interest in the whole game, than it is in our interest as backers aswell. As we want smaller studios like Double Fine to do what they are doing now and in all the years to come! (i do speak for myself, but i guess many might agree)

So when they release the documentation i would like if they release it in their best interest aswell!

I mean, okay, they could wait with the finale documentation episodes like a week until non backers could see it aswell. That would be quite understandable.

But we still had the last 2 years all those episodes exlusivley only for us! We are allready privileged. I don't think there is any need to wait now, as it is a chance making broken age more public and popluar in a rush just now.

I mean, it doesn't change anything really imho if they wait now artificially to please us backers, instead of thinking: We backers are allready has been honored to become this whole thing exlusivley and we will allways stay the very first exlusive viewers, as only a timemachine could change anything on that (won't happen ^^ spoilers duh ;) ) - and depending on how high you supported the kickstarter project, you will get an exlusive documentation on blueray still. Without blurs even.

And obviously the support for this whole public release is huge.

So i don't know, this whole "But we want them to wait" feels artifical for me and not like it would make sense really.

Let's do this right. Let's release it early, before act II and the whole game is out, so it will be honoured most and we spent our money in the best possible way. In creating an expirience for everyone that is most enjoyable and awesome.

I mean we played the beta of act one first. We could comment on everything that was going on. This is the finale anyway.

I mean, i wouldn't be pleased if the enjoyment of the documentation, i spend money for to be made ^^ was shortened for every non backer. I would get no satisfaction out of this.

I mean, maybe i think here more like a backer really and less like a customer. But thats what we are, backers, right?

I think we've had plenty of months of 'exclusive' access to the documentary. And I'd certainly welcome more knowing and seeing what is actually going on with the game outside of the backer group when it comes to news articles about Broken Age.

The game itself was a huge draw. As far as the documentary goes, it's existence was motivation, not exclusivity.

I would be fine even with a full public release. On the other hand, as others have suggested, making the HD and extras a paid package for those that want to go beyond YouTube vids is a good idea too.

Sure, I get what you mean. But to me it just seems like the tidy way to do it, since it was marketed as exclusive for backers and all. I guess I just don't want more backlash because of this so close to release date, when it would look so much better just by waiting a little bit. All in favour of the Weird Al style here.

Oh well, I just hope whatever solution they choose works out for them.

Just stopping by to say I have no problem with this at all. Its cool you guys are going to upgrade the backers to let us all download the 1080p version though from what I understand anyway.

We have all gotten more than our money's worth from the doc's and they should be shared with everyone now and used to help sell more copys of the game :)

About frickin' time this great documentary gets public! :)

Just wanted to chime in with the aye-sayers here.

You're not going to thwart the skepticism around kickstarter projects, which are mostly due to outright criminal activities. People taking advantage of a trust-based model will always solicit criticism of that model; which is a misplaced criticism, since the transgressors are wilfully deceiving. Community is built on trust and for the genuine developers who intend to fund a feasible creation, kickstarter is a nice way to raise funding and get free publicity. DoubleFine has just set a standard of proper planning and execution of launching a game, but DF is not responsible for anyone else taking the care to respect their backers. Each to their own responsibility.

I'd prefer the documentary being released since it's a great piece of work in and of itself; kudos to the documentary makers!! Maybe because of the documentary, I felt like DoubleFine took an interest in acknowledging their backers specifically. And that's not to mention how inspirational the video is, for other creative minds. Now that we've seen it, there's no reason not to share. It's awesome to spread the love:)

Sincerely, Sigge

This is my own personal testament, not to speak for others.

I didn't back this project for any return other than a game to play. Otherwise, my primary motivation was to enable awesome people to do awesome things. If releasing the documentary will be good for Double Fine and/or the industry and community as a whole, then that's awesome and qualifies. I figure it would be good press for Double Fine because the doc feels very honest. Also, as I understand it, one of the purposes of the doc was to show people what's behind the PR curtain, so shouldn't it be available to all people interested in games? The thought of me saying "no, you can't do this awesome thing with my money" would defeat the purpose of my intent.

I'm all for releasing documentary, but please please lay off hardcore comments moderation on youtube. When you erase everything but the most glowing praise it doesn't make it look more friendly, instead showing some kind of creepy unison along the lines of a cult.

People do have different opinions, and it's really wrong to silence those don't agree with, even if you have that power. And anyone who spent more than 15 minutes on youtube (meaning - absolutely everyone) pretty much grasped how comments sections work, no need to treat your audience like babies that can't possibly withstand reading anything remotely harsh or critical.

These kinds of attempts to control other people's minds put you only in more trouble before, I hope you'll learn to just let it go.

ps. One example of good comments handling is youtube channel Scam School - they don't remove anything, instead answering in short witty manner and with respect to every troll and idiot, quickly defusing situation and making themselves look even better - but not at the expense of others.

I bet it takes a very talented person to consistently pull that off, but you could at least try..

Ugh. If I never read another YouTube comment it would still be too much. They are the worst, barrel scraping, empty headed contributions to the Internet. I'd be happy if they were ALL deleted.

They are the worst, barrel scraping, empty headed contributions to the Internet. I'd be happy if they were ALL deleted.

This was a bad, over-generalizing contribution to the Internet. I don't think it should be deleted though ;)

This was a bad, over-generalizing contribution to the Internet. I don't think it should be deleted though ;)

That's because despite how general and dismissive it was, it still wasn't as bad as a typical YouTube comment :)

Typical: totally agree. Impossible to find gems even among Youtube comments: blatant lie :)

I think you should release the documentary widely. It's fantastic and it makes me sad that my friends can't watch it.

(I even think you should figure out a way to get it shown on TV, although I have no idea how that would really work. Maybe Netflix?)

I think you should release the documentary widely. It's fantastic and it makes me sad that my friends can't watch it.

(I even think you should figure out a way to get it shown on TV, although I have no idea how that would really work. Maybe Netflix?)

Oh, great thought!

Maybe for tv it would need to get shortened. ;) (maybe even a doku style commentary? okay, i see where this is going, lot's of work xD)

In germany and france there is a quite popular tv-channel for it's documentations: It's arte.

And it's a french german cooperation. (so the documentation would get dubbed in two languages at one strike maybe haha) They allways got documentations about the making of fashion shows also, like from chanel, Fendi and stuff, for example. They have been totally entertaining too and that i love those kind of documentations is the reason why i enjoyed the dfa 2 player production documentation that much aswell ^^

So this "Making art"-Doku Style is really a thing on that channel. ;D

Would be an interesting thing, cause this documentation is really awesome. And it is a kind of pioneer in it's area. ^^ And would perfectly fit into the whole "Games are Art" topic that is going on in europe media here and there sometimes ^^

I think it's a great idea to release the Documentary on YouTube for free. I would suggest this even without the goal of improving sentiment about Double Fine - I think it is a fantastic view into a creative industry and the challenges of development. This gives people a window into how their games are made in a way that was unbiased and transparent. The documentary will give people considering entering the field a real "full story" for how a game gets made, from budgeting & distribution, to technology, marketing, audio engineering, and creative writing / storytelling. So not only is it a great way to show the ups and downs of this specific game development cycle, but it could inspire people to learn one of these skills and eventually start a career in game development. There really isn't any other contemporary view into the internals of game development at a real independent studio, that I'm aware of.

Release the Kraken!

One distribution channel to consider for the Documentary (aside from YouTube) would be STEAM. It would be targeted more to the developer / PC gamer crowd than a general gaming audience, but could follow the steps of the Dota 2 "Free To Play" documentary as a movie distributed on STEAM: http://store.steampowered.com/app/245550/

Sign in to follow this