Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Important question to backers about the DFA doc

I'm okay with releasing the documentary to non-backers. I think it's an important work that should be seen as widely as possible.

I'd like the doc to be available to the public. Whether free of charge or not, I'm not sure. It feels like what you promised backers would make access to it a privilege, so maybe some low sum of money for it would be reasonable? I'm looking at GOG Movies at the moment, and it seems like except the few that are free, a price point for these kinds of films lies in the range of €4-14. I wouldn't argue against it being made available free of charge, but I also think placing it in that price range would be a reasonable step to take.

I've been regularly keeping up with the doc, and I think the whole series is super duper important. Please release it publicly.

I would love a free option to share with friends who weren't backers. Maybe two options?

1. Release publicly for free with ads (ie YouTube, etc)

2. Release a paid ad free and/or HD view

I think releasing it to the public is a great idea! Some people will understand what the game went through to get where it did, and also put a face on the game. Conspiracy nuts will never be convinced, but I think some people will get turned around.

It's sometimes frustrating to me seeing people talk trash about DF without knowing what the development of Broken Age was like. The main complaint seems to be that the game took longer to be made than originally projected. I don't understand what they'd prefer, a shorter and buggy version??

It's up to you whether free or paid. The conspiracy nuts will certainly jump all over DF for asking for money (then again they'll jump on DF asking for ANY money, so it's a moot point).

Can't wait for Act 2 and the rest of the documentary! :D

Personally, I am as excited about people getting to see this wonderful documentary as I am about the game you made. I wouldn't feel at all betrayed, I think the documentary actually has more value to me if I could show it people and talk about it with them online. That's just me.

YES!!! Share with the world! Keep it free.

Amazing games deserve great press. I hope this helps, even a little.

I'm all for making it freely available, although personally I don't think it will have much of the effect you hope for in terms of negativity/Double Fine's image.

That said, if you do release it please don't do the streaming only or low quality thing, but get it out there properly in best quality.

I say yes. The doc has been my favourite part of the DFA experience and there certainly feels like a huge difference between the content of the docs and the disparaging reaction from people who haven't seen it...

I think it would help the public opinion! And the docs are awesome too soooo... YEAH

I'm fine with releasing it. I guess I always assumed that it would be released to the public eventually. Now, I thought I remember reading that the final version won't have the blurred whiteboards with spoilers. So maybe make the blurred version available to the public?

I would like to see the documentary available to everyone. I think that would be great!

I'm absolutely fine with releasing the documentary publicly. Free or paid, it doesn't matter to me.

Release it. The documentary series is freaking fantastic, and being able to watch it as it got released was EASILY worth my money. It'll be fantastic to let it out into the public eye, especially if it's just onto the DF Youtube channel. If you release the episodes on a weekly or fortnightly basis then at least it gives non-backers a sense of having to wait anxiously for each episode.

Honestly, the documentary is so good, I hope you don't just give it away for free. It legitimately could be a documentary series on TV.

Episode 4 alone was probably the best look into a creative process I've ever watched.

+1 in favour of putting it out there for sure but might just say for the record: don't take the criticism's too harshly. Sure there are a bunch of people out there who are upset about how the project has been managed but I'd be willing to wager they are a vocal minority. It's easy to absorb negativity and some personality types (especially self-critical creative types) give it far more weight than good feedback. The first half was great fun, I personally feel like I am getting more than my moneys worth and if the extra money helped fund the Grim Fandango remake then I am thrilled because my old disc is scratched to all hell :D

Release them to the public in HD!

The videos were super interesting and inspirational for me personally, so it'd be great for more people to experience them.

I don't see the money I spent backing as a way of having exclusive access to videos, but more of a contribution to them being made in the first place.

I'm fine with it being made public, but I don't think it will help the negativity.

The main issue is that the press seem to be purposely taking things out of context. Even the press entities with access to the doc are still cherry picking information to make you look bad to increase their traffic.

Sure, if the doc is out there, then people can see the whole story, but the vast majority will probably still be drawn to the click-bait articles that only take a few minutes to read.

Since backing a project on Kickstarter is always only that -- a kickstart --, I feel we backers can't claim that it is ours more than we can claim the game is ours. We simply funded its development. Once the project is realised, it's up to the creators to decide how it's distributed further. The game was to be sold once it's finished, so why shouldn't the documentary be as well?

If it was to be made available for free, it should definitely be in a lower resolution, but in general I'm not opposed to the idea.

I'm a lower tier backer, and this was one of the bigger rewards. It has been a fascinating inside look at a studio. I think in the greater scheme of things, I'd rather it be released to serve a higher cause than a mere reward, if it can serve that purpose. After watching the doc, and reading that article by Anthony Burch, who went from Destructoid blogger that ripped on games to game developer, I have a little more sense into how difficult the process is.

The more information the public has, the better.

Personally, I wouldn't care less if it was low or high quality.

I say yes - release it! If it eases the weirdness, maybe what's released to non-backers isn't the complete documentary. Maybe it's a slimmed down version.

On one hand, it feels like losing a part of the cool kids club. On the other hand, it's been publicly available for money for a while now.

Go ahead, release it. It's a damn good look into game development

ABSOLUTELY release it for free.

1) it would clear the air about the game's production and it is really frustrating that I have to keep referring to a doc not everyone can see.

2) it is a wonderful series that shows the complex realities of game design. It is inspiring to people and I wish I can show the world this.

3) I have had access before everyone else for MONTHS now, AND I backed at the Blu-Ray level. I feel plenty privileged already. :3

Please! I will never stop linking people! This doc made me tear up multiple times and it is just too amazing to not share <3

Okay so I have no issues with releasing the documentary.

However, the internet, especially gamer culture is a very volatile place. You've answered people's prejudice with evidence and calm rational explanation before and they don't care. What will happen though, is some youtuber will take the well made and incredibly informative documentary series, put clips together out of context and make a narrative about you stealing money or some such nonsense. This will get shared on social media, gamergate and other toxic communities will take things out of context and call you a fraud and there will be more negative attention. The people that hate you, don't have a reason to, they really don't. They already think you've split BA into two parts and kick-started both of them. They don't understand that the 3.3 million doesn't go that far in current game development. Having a 10+ hour long documentary that meticulously goes over the entire process won't help. They don't have that kind of attention span.

I hate that I'm this negative about this and maybe, maybe before last year it might of helped, but not now...

I do think people who are genuinely interested in game development would enjoy it and I'd encourage people to watch it... just if you think it will dissuade the negativity... I just don't think anything will...

I'm really looking forward to BA and upcoming DF games and don't let any of this discourage you. You have fans and you have people who enjoy your work even if the negative noise can be emotionally draining.

Go for it!

As a promotional tool, you may be better off releasing the final two episodes at nearly the same time that backers get them. That's probably going to be the easiest thing to do.

I do think you'll want to make an edited-down version that's documentary-length since I don't see many people investing 7-8 hours in watching the whole series if they aren't aware of the game already.

Good idea. I've wanted to show some of my non-backer friends segments of the videos for a while now.

Sign in to follow this