Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Important question to backers about the DFA doc

Hey Tim!

I think it's a great idea to release the documentary online FOR FREE.

Before, people had to PAY to see the documentary of the game. Which is kinda counterproductive. Only people who are interested in the game already will watch the documentary. However, if you release online then everyone who isn't interested in the game gets a chance to watch the documentary and possibly purchase the game.

Sincerely,

A Backer

It's fine by me, but I worry that the part where you go looking for more funding options will give your critics fuel rather than demonstrate to them the intricacies, difficulties and expense of making computer games. They sure haven't let facts get in the way of their misinterpretation of other events in other people's lives, and given a lot of the anger focuses on the development cost those scenes might feed into it.

If you put it out there there's no way you can charge for it though. Put it out for free!

Excelent!

The series are very well produced and edited. And the subjects (All of DF) are really smart and fun to watch.

But I would seriously consider cutting it down to "feature length", like "Indie Game the Movie". I'm sure it would still be educational, but would be more appealing to non-gamers. And more commercially viable to other distribution channels, like cable tv, iTunes and Netflix.

I'm ok with it, and I think that it would help to avoid the missinformation. Release it!

Guess I'm in the minority here and say don't release it publicly. Beyond the fact that it was a Kickstarter exclusive, I don't really think that anybody with an axe to grind is going to be swayed by the (admittedly awesome) videos. Why reward jerks for being jerks?

It deserves to be watched. Why should I feel so self-important as to think it should be kept hidden?

It was a backer reward - and it was rewarding. Now let it be a gift to everyone else too!

Definitely get it out to the public. The doc is amazing. Every time a new episode comes out I drop everything and watch. I was a professional video producer and film maker for 15 years before I got into game development and the quality of this work is top tier. I think Indie Game the Movie did a TON to put indie game development on the map. This documentary could do the same thing for showing what the development process is actually like. I am always routing for everyone over at Double Fine/2PP and I feel like all of you are helping to advance game development as a whole with awesome behind the scenes projects. <3

However, since this documentary was an important backer reward, releasing it into the public is not something we would ever do before hearing from you, the backers, about how you felt about it... Good idea? Or no?

I think it's a great idea, and I love that you guys are able to see that transparency is the right way to go <3

I worry that it will be dismissable by the naysayers though. What we're seeing here is the sausage making process, and there's not a lot of other sources for that sort of thing out there that those on the outside can use as reference - there will be people who believe that what's shown isn't indicative of How Games Are Made.

It would be neat (and also a bit of effort to wrangle) to have some other notable game developers talking about how the process as represented in the DFA doc compares to their own experiences, and could make for some super interesting side content in its own right.

There are also some bits of backer only info (such as Greg's production posts) that help clear up a lot of the misinformation that's out there.

Yeah, I say release it. As others have said, the real value came from being to watch the documentary as the game was being developed. And backing the game, even at the crazy level I did, was not about the rewards but about supporting the development of a game from a studio I believed in.

If it means one more person loving Double Fine as much as I do, I don't care what effect it has on any crabby pants gripe mongers.

It's a good doc. I enjoyed the exclusivity thing at first, but I think releasing the doc publicly is more important than that. The game is almost out of development anyway, and therefore the exclusive backer forum ride is almost over. I think it's as good a time as any.

RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!!!

Count me along with the vast majority saying that the documentary should be released to the public for free.

Absolutely release it. It's a great piece of work and does the backers no harm to let other people see it.

I vote for releasing it (paid or free doesn't matter to me). Amazing job by 2PP and DF on both parts of DFA.

I think it's also worth reminding people that the Kickstarter pitch was primarily for the documentary. :D

Edit: First post!

One of the main reasons I wanted the documentary was for my son, who is 12 and very interested in game development. I figured it would be a great way for him to see an inside view of what goes into building games. By opening it up, it would provide others that same opportunity which I believe could be a good benefit.

As far as it showing to others what went into the game the truth about its development, I don't think it make much difference there. Mostly because haters are going to hate, there's not much that can be done about that. Opening it up for more positive reasons will have a more positive outcome.

As a backer, I am fine with it being released to the public.

Cheers,

Brett Slaski

Is winning a propaganda war against the guttersnipes of the internet really worth any time and effort? I personally don't think so.

The documentary is many hours long now, do you really think people critical of you on the internet without a clue will bother to watch it all and/or with an open mind?

I think you'd just open yourself up for more criticism when they connect dots they imagine and quote you out of context, I believe it would just add fuel to the fire.

And while if we're honest most if not all parts of the documentary are floating around the tubes to be pirated, so what would "giving it away" change? Those who want to see it more than likely already have.

But as others have said I pretty much expected it to get wider free/cheap release once the game was done, if that happens a few weeks early to give the game a little positive press/attention leading up to release It's no skin off my nose, I've got way more value for my money contributed

However, And no insult to anyone intended but I think its disingenuous to frame this as a battle for hearts and minds on the internet, you're not running a political party here, its a niche game for a niche audience which may well struggle to sell in significant numbers. But, at the end of the day to get some positive press leading up to release is a good idea and having watched the documentary well, i think I know that this is more the angle you are now attempting to sugar coat. So I don't see this as a "swift one" or a "betrayal" just exactly what it is in reality, a good business decision.

I'm against it. Let me explain why.

This project is special and meaningful to every single backer that supported the idea since its conception. We, as backers know the ins and outs, the beauty and the ugly, and everything else that goes into the unique production of Broken Age. If you think alleviating the bad press will help in the sale of part 2 and the game in general, then from a business standpoint I get that, I do.

However, do we really want to roll over and just give in to the pressure? I certainly don't but again, for DF as a studio, I get it.

Years down the line Broken Age will stand on its own merit for being a beautiful adventure game, born and produced out of love for a beloved and forgotten genre.

None of this shit will matter, and Broken Age will come of age, and nobody can stop that.

Release it to the hounds if you like, I've got your backs no matter what, but I don't think you/we should buckle.

You are Meathook, we are Roger. Hello Roger.

I say release it!!! I finally just started watching it this past week and its awesome so far.

Please let the rest of the world see this gem too. Episode 4 is my favorite!!!

Hello Backers of Adventure!

Despite all the good progress we've made on the game, and our announcement about Beta, you may have noticed that there's a lot of negativity out there -- much of it is aimed at Kickstarter projects in general, but a whole lot of it is aimed squarely at us and Broken Age.

A great deal of it stems from misinformation -- from tweets, forum posts etc, claiming that the project is dead, or that we asked for more money despite getting 'way more than we needed' to make the project.

I doubt it would change the minds of the haters, but it could be of help to people who argue using facts. I think it's a good idea and I'm all for it.

I'd also like to say hi from an opposing corner of the ongoing gaming controversy. Personally, I have no issue with waiting for episode 2 as long as it's as well-written as the first, which I liked. Others may feel differently, and it certainly is up to them, as long as their opinions aren't based on misinformation. Releasing the videos might help with that.

I strongly believe they should be made public. The documentaries are great 'ambassadors' for the project. They provide a great deal of insight into the people, the process, the motivations and decisions. Personally, I feel more engaged in the game having seen them and don't think that releasing them would diminish any 'value' or anything, I backed the project so I could play the game. :)

Like others, I feel like even if the game was an absolute turd (which it isn't) the documentary alone has made backing more than worthwhile. Since I've had early access to what is now years-old content, I still feel like I got something special for being a backer, and would love more people to see the documentary.

Whether you charge for it is up to you, (though charging for it, even a little, may make people value it more?) I wouldnt care either way. Heck, do a deal with Netflix :D

Keep up the good work, can't wait to play Part II.

I certainly have no problem with you making it public. I think it would be very educational to the average gamer, if you could get them to watch.

I wouldn't like it very much. While I loved Broken Age, I've found the doc to be the best part of my rewards so far I understand your needs, and wouldn't, like, be banging pots outside of Double Fine in anger if it happened, but I'd be mildly disappointed.

Plus, I don't think it'd help much with the people who don't like Kickstarter or DF in particular. This is what they'll say: "Oh, look, DF is giving away one of the backer rewards for free, just so they can garner publicity! Look at how disrespectful they are of their backers! Let's burn down their headquarters and salt the grounds it stood on!"

Releasing it in stream-only and/or in lower quality doesn't do much for me, since I watch it more for the content than for dazzled admiration of Tim's beard follicles. I wouldn't particularly mind a shorter cut that only showed some key pieces, but I understand editting and recutting a doc is not easy work that can be done quickly. Perhaps if only a few episodes were free, or if it was free only for a limited time (until Act 2 comes out, maybe?).

Yes, please! I think this has to be seen in order for some people to understand what goes into making a game and to see how much hard work is put into it by the people behind it.

I'm against it. Let me explain why.

This project is special and meaningful to every single backer that supported the idea since its conception. We, as backers know the ins and outs, the beauty and the ugly, and everything else that goes into the unique production of Broken Age. If you think alleviating the bad press will help in the sale of part 2 and the game in general, then from a business standpoint I get that, I do.

However, do we really want to roll over and just give in to the pressure? I certainly don't but again, for DF as a studio, I get it.

Years down the line Broken Age will stand on its own merit for being a beautiful adventure game, born and produced out of love for a beloved and forgotten genre.

None of this shit will matter, and Broken Age will come of age, and nobody can stop that.

Release it to the hounds if you like, I've got your backs no matter what, but I don't think you/we should buckle.

You are Meathook, we are Roger. Hello Roger.

Well said

I don't mind. I still got something special by having the privilege of watching the documentary "as it happened", instead of having to wait until the end. DoubleFine has gotten more and more transparent, with the Team Streams of Massive Chalice publicly available on Youtube and the public Amnesia Fortnight's in 2012 and 2014. I think it's awesome and I'd love the world to see it.

I feel like people are beating on Kickstarter now simply because the public and the press both love a "scandal". But I've never had a complaint about the way Broken Age was handled. And although what's been happening with Peter Molyneux's Godus and Neil Stephenson's Clang are unfortunate and understandably have made some more pessimistic about Kickstarter, there have been plenty of success stories too. I have more than a dozen games that I personally backed on Kickstarter in my steam library right now, including 3 that came out in the last week (Reassembly, Hot Tin Roof, and There Came an Echo).

Thanks for being considerate of our feelings. My vote is: release away!

How many of us 3 years ago when we backed thought we would ever get 20 episodes spanning nearly 3 years? The documentary has been my reward for all that time, an exciting update to look forward to every couple of months, but I don't remember what I got for christmas 3 years ago.

My investment has been returned as far as the documentary is concerned, share it with the world.

Also huge shoutout to the 2PP guys, you guys are great for sticking with this project for so long. How great was it to have things like Amensia Fortnite come out of having 2PP around? Those were seriously the best.

(I hope after Broken Age finishes we can see Amensia Fortnite 2015The return of Bad Golf)

Sign in to follow this