Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Important question to backers about the DFA doc

Releasing the documentary will do nothing to alleviate criticism from a bunch of Internet trolls. Nothing you do will change their minds.

The documentary offers a special value, and you should charge money for it. The company would go under if you did this every time somebody bad mouths you.

Another 'me too' post here. Release it. Please!

I have loved and still love the Adventure. Such a great experience, worth a lot more than the $100 I backed it for. I do have to say that the exclusivity was part of the experience. I haven't enjoyed the completely open development of MC as much as I did DFA. Nor did I enjoy the most recent more open edition of AF as much as I did the more exclusive edition before it. I understand why you've opened it up even more and I support it. But it does come at a price; the experience for the backers isn't the same. Well, that has been my experience at least.

The DFA documentary is insanely good. I would be honoured to know that I played a small part in making it possible to be made and to have it available for all to enjoy. It is more than good enough to make 2PP a lot of money. They and you must have strong double feelings about the lock-in that the Kickstarter campaign created. It opened up a lot of opportunities, but it also must have made for some big headaches because of the exclusivity deal.

I would not have liked it had you wanted to take the documentary public earlier. But now, no problem at all. Quite the opposite. I would understand if 2PP wants to monetize it; it would be well deserved. But it would be insanely great if it was released for all to see. And not in a lower streaming quality. It deserves to be watched in proper high quality.

To me, at this stage of the Adventure, releasing it publicly wouldn't devaluate my small investment as a backer at all. It would add a great deal of value. Release it. Please.

I would ask to wait with the release of the final two episodes a short while after us backers have been able to watch those. The Adventure is coming to an end and I would like to see it closed down properly and for us backers to have our 'exclusive' farewell so to speak.

Thank you for asking! And again, I can't say it enough, thank you so much for letting us be part of the Adventure that is DF.

Release it! It's a fantistic documentary that I think it would be awesome for everyone to see, haters or don't.

I absolutely support making it public. It has been exclusive for so long anyway and I never felt covetous over the whole thing. I supported the kickstarter to make this game a reality, not to be greedy about the rewards.

Judging by the number of people I've, as you said, had to educate on the woes and progress of the development (usually asking "Did you watch the documentary?" with a response of "No, I didn't back it"), this sorely needs a public release so I can make people I know watch it.

I've had friends who genuinely thought you guys took the money and ran, and that development had ceased- I'm not even sure they knew that the first part of the game had come out. Releasing the documentary would be a big PR advantage, and at this point the early access and appeal of watching the status of the development as it actually happened should appease most backers, myself included. I'd also like to easily show it to my friends who live out of town, or ones who didn't know why the game took so long or had financial troubles.

Really though it all comes down to the fact that the documentary is so good anyway that I feel as many people as possible who are interested in games or game development should see it. It's been an incredibly eye-opening look into development that I'll speak so highly of it as to say that it deserves to be more than a kickstarter reward, but instead the best example there is right now of a look at the full process of game development.

RE: people that say it won't help haters, of course it won't. Thing is? Those creeps are a professional s***stirrers, a vocal, gross tight nit group whose sway is manufactured through making dozens of fake accounts to make it look like there are more of them. There are people, though, that are extremely rational who just don't get the process and will benefit from seeing the doc. I certainly didn't know how tough it was, and man, this series changed my entire perspective. There are way more open minded people with honest concerns than ones that think KS is a scam and will needlessly quotemine and throttle the series.

Things like GG are a tiny movement of sad, reactionary people that no one actually worth their salt takes seriously. They will NEVER be the market for this. People who actually LOVE videogames? They are.

Another $100 backer here. Release the hounds! Get it out there. Let people know that making games is hard and that despite the rumors, you have in fact been working hard on it and things aren't cheap.

I think making it public would be great! A way to share what's been a really cool journey with the world.

Go for it! As others have said, I think we've gotten more than our value out of it through the virtue of being able to watch it in 'real time'. My only caveat would be that backers should get to see any new episodes or content first going forward.

I'm not sure if it'll convince the haters, but it remains a valuable and interesting look at game development that I think is good to have in the public.

I'm not against the release, but I don't think it's going to help greatly. There's certainly a need for the average punter to understand better what goes in to a game, but the people who're making a ruckus aren't likely to be the sorts who'll change their tune if you show them how things went down. Half of the whining comes from you throwing down with the Gamergate brats and nothing short of a full lobotomy is likely to change their minds.

I think it'll be of interest to plenty of people and quite likely an asset to others who're looking into using Kickstarter or doing indi development in general. That's the reason you should be doing this. You'll no doubt get a few positive articles on various news sites, but to quote that song that's perpetually on the radio, the haters are gonna hate, hate, hate, hate.

What about the people who bought the documentary series on VHX.tv, but didn't back the project on KickStarter? Why don't they have a say in this?

Those people would feel cheated out of $10, even if you offered them a full refund. It would also give more fuel to the people who think you're stealing everyone's money.

Just wait for the controversy to die down. People have short attention spans, and there will be something else to complain about next week.

I say release the hell out of it.

Haters will decide it proves you're all talentless hacks who waste money, fans will decide it proves that you're awesome geniuses - they thought that already anyway.

The rest of humanity will be better entertained and informed than they would've been without it.

I'm fine with it, but I think a trimmed down edited version would be pretty key to getting a lot of attention.

I think it would be good to release it. I backed to see the documentary made. It being private just makes it harder for me to share it with others.

One last thought: Maybe make those sidequest episodes a premium content thing. Or slowly release Low quality versions of the docs so the ones who only bought the docs don't feel cheated?

The documentary alone has been worth the price of the kickstarter. I agree with what others have said, being able to see the documentary as the game developed was a good enough reward for being a backer.

Having it just sit there with no one else to watch it after the game comes out is just a waste.

The documentary was exactly what you promised. ("Showing how the sausage is made" I believe was Tim's original analogy.) It's a really well done documentary that shows warts and all (and showing flaws and mistakes are what makes things real and interesting). I think it's also a good promotional piece for 2 Player Production's production talents, which deserve exposure to a larger audience. I hope they get more work for the good work they've already done.

At the very least it shows that Double Fine really went out of their way to attempt to give their fans a great full length/full featured adventure game. Finding other funding sources was to help the game reach it's full potential. Haters will probably hate, wether or not you put out the documentary. But they didn't put anything on the line by creating something new and putting it out there, and you guys/gals did.

It should be released for free however you choose.

The best part about this Kickstarter was seeing DF behind the scenes - I felt like I understood the decisions being made at DF and that none of them were made lightly or carelessly. It would give many minds that are open to being changed a ton of background in how the money got spent.

I would love to be able to share that documentary with the world. Let's do it.

As a $100 backer, I did it to help a team I believe deserves a shot at doing what they love, and I agree that wanting to keep it for myself feels a bit wrong.

My snobby side still wants an EXCLUSIVE dvd case or something, but my vote is to put it out there.

Eh, when I first heard this plan I was a bit.. skeptical? I mean I can't lie, it is a bit of a shame when you think about it since we are the backers of adventure- the ones who are along for the ride- releasing a reward for free seems a bit... eh. But then I got thinking- I am damn sick and tired of all the people online putting words in my mouth over my backing of this project. Time and time again people act like all us backers are so upset- betrayed- that the project is dead and that we are to be pittyed of some ahem for backing.

Well you know what? Screw them. I was happy when the scope increased- I was happy when Tim promised to make the second act more difficult even if it would take more time- I was HAPPY with act one. I am pretty damn satisfied. Sure it has taken longer then we would all have expected but if the product is good who cares? Sure- what happened with spacebase was a pain, but I hardly see that one mistake warranting all this bile to be spewed over THIS project.

So yeah- release the documentary for everyone- Anything to stop people from putting words in our mouths anymore. I have loved the documentary episodes- I have loved the game so far- and if this is what it takes to show the rest of the world what I have seen? Go for it. So long as the DVD/Bluray set is good enough and with enough special features I honestly don't see the problem with them seeing the series itself. I backed to get an adventure game, I backed to get the documentary, I didn't back for people to pity me when THEY consider the project isn't going as well as they think (despite them never even seeing the inside look). Go ahead and release, I hope it changes some minds.

I'd love to see that doc out in the world for everyone to understand what's going on. I wanted to help fund the production of the game and the documentary, but I don't have a need for exclusivity.

Maybe make a new video of clips from all the episodes? Or just release it all. Either way, whatever helps get the haters to hate less. But honestly, this is the internet, it may not help much.

As far as exclusivity goes? Well we backed the game cause we believed in it and in y'all. So being a part of the process as it goes on is well worth the money. Really I wish I could go back in time and back even more.

Here's what I think - the naysayers will not make time to watch the documentary.

I reckon produce a supercut to turn it into a film length documentary (lol piece of cake right?). Then release it for reals and benefit from another source of income out of the project.

(I think this is my first post on these forums after this whole time haha)

I think it should be made public, yes. Keeping it to ourselves at this point seems petty to me.

That being said, SOMEONE is going to complain. You can't make everyone happy, and someone who didn't even back the project will get upset that you let out the backer only documentary and that this is proof of your "corruption" or whatever. No amount of openess will satisfy some people.

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish.

If you are trying to quiet the trolls, you never can. Engaging them and releasing the product for free because they're misleading people about you will just fuel their fire. They'll find more in the doc to fry you with, including making backing the kickstarter a foolish thing to have done, now if the doc is free. Wait and buy the game at retail and get what would've cost you in the kickstarter for nothing.

If you wanted to release the doc as a PR move, you have my vote, but it seems to be devaluing it somewhat, it was a major part of the kickstarter to get the documentary, and to give it away for free seems like it may be a good PR move, but feels a little weird. If you gave away the game, it would be a good PR move too and i'm sure more people would play it and some of those minds would turn that wouldn't before, but still seems like shooting yourself in the foot to please people who make money and attention off of trolling you.

Degrading the quality is suicide though, the cinematography is some of the best part of it, I can't imagine not watching it in high quality.

So i'm cautiously okay with whatever you want to do, but I'm not convinced that it would have the benefit you think it would. Honest journalists are already backers, as we've seen from the embargo debacle, not sure who you're trying to win here.

The people it may bring in is people on the fence about buying the game and only hearing bad press, but releasing the doc to win those people before the game is available doesn't seem like you will make your point, until they can actually buy it.

In either case, I'm not against you giving it away, I would love to see it shared with people who would appreciate it, and anything to help your studio continue to make great games I love playing is OK by me.

I'll be there on release day, downloading my steam copy and buying a retail one to put next to my boxed copy of grim, full throttle, psychonauts and brutal legend. Good luck team DF.

I think it is a great idea to release the documentary, and would support it. Backers got a benefit already by being able to watch it as it progressed.

If releasing the documentary will help Double Fine, Broken Age, or generate more interest or funding for documentaries on future projects, then I'm all for it. This documentary series has been awesome, and I don't personally mind it being released to non-backers. I've already received more than my money's worth.

I would really like to see this quality of documentary continue on key Double Fine projects in the future. Does releasing this for free make funding of future work by 2PP more difficult or easier? I don't know the answer, but you have my blessing to do whatever you think is best. Keep up the great work.

Sign in to follow this