Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Important question to backers about the DFA doc

Thanks for all your feedback, backers. Feedbackers!

This is all very encouraging!

We will take all of your suggestions and use them to make a plan.

A brilliant plan!

And share it with y'all very soon.

Thanks!

Tim

I'm a slacker backer who is totally in love with the documentary (I even purchased it on VHX so that I could get a hold of those sweet, sweet downloads), and I'd like to join in the chorus of people who say that you should release it publicly.

I am also going to be one of the people saying that it probably won't change a lot of people's mind about the game and its production, especially those who are out to hate on Double Fine and Kickstarter and everything they stand for.

Is there an option for a condensed version of combined episodes? I feel the audience you are trying to reach won't want to sit through all the episodes. Plus the backers still get the detailed content.

It didn't even occur to me at first, but I would love to see it on the various streaming services, especially if it could provide some additional (likely very small?)revenue to the teams.

I'd go with saying that I'm fine with releasing the doc for free. And I can understand that from a marketing perspective you'll probably want to release it simultaneously with Act 2. But...

I would prefer it if something significant was kept back. Perhaps the final post-release episode can be for backers only? Or maybe for backers and people who bought Broken Age?

The extra's are nice, but I've only watched a few of them.

I am absolutely in favour of you releasing the documentary to the general public.

Please do release it.

We had the chance to experience this before the rest of the world and monthly (more like every 2 months but whatever), that's already a good reward.

Also I think most of the people that donated more money were thinking mostly about donating to make the project succeed than the rewards.

Still don't think this will solve much, most people that talks badly about the game won't even bother watching it.

I am okay with releasing it. We wanted to be part of making it happen, the game, the doc. We got access early. I'm totally cool opening up the documentary to the world after the game is released.

Also, not against you getting the documentary on Netflix so people can watch it there.

Well i think that it actually wouldn't do anything. Those people who just jumped at headlines to write some mean tweets and so on are not the kind of people who would watch a mutli hour documentary or get them selfs informed anyway. There where plenty of resources to get themselfs informed already if they would actually care about it.

So i don't think releasing the documentary would change anything on that front.

Personally. I would feel wierd if you suddenly released it for free. It's a pretty long documentary. The notch documentary is allot shorter and that one still costs something to see. So is this documentary worth less than the notch one?

I would be ok with it beeing released to the rest after release and for a cost.

I do have mixed feelings about just throwing it out there for free before its even finished.

Meaby a cut down version? like a one hour version for free and buy the full doc? As i said above i don't think someone who isn't on the fan train already would even watch so many hours of documentary to get themselfs informed. But a shorter normal documentary cut movie meaby allot more.

I think that as many people as possible should be able to see the documentary. Making it public sounds like a good idea to me, but I am not sure that it will work to right negative Nancys and Debbie Downers. As long as you guys eventually make Psychonauts 2, you have my support. =D

I have no problem with the documentary being released. As others have mentioned, don't limit the quality.

Completely support the documentary being available in some format for everyone. It'll help demystify everything about the development as well as provide a resource for educators and people in game classes. Personally I more look at my backing going into the physical goods and the game itself, everything else is just icing.

I think it's fine for you to release the documentary. My primary reason for backing this project was to be able to support a developer to create a game without being influenced by "suits" who are more concerned about their monetary return instead of "emotional experience" return of enjoying a game. I have enjoyed all my Tim Schafer/Double Fine games of the 90s and feel that a lot of game developers are sometimes treated unfairly by fans who don't know the whole story of a game. Most gamers are accustomed to their annual franchises but fail to realize that back "in the day" few games were rushed out annually (aside from EA Madden games). They fail to understand that there was no game concept or preconceived story prior to the Kickstarter campaign closing in March 2012. That you had to build the game engine from scratch, that the main team on the project is very small compared to Activision or EA game titles, that the orchestra volunteered to perform the games soundtrack, and that unforseen circumstances occur in creating a game. I am looking forward to receiving my boxed copy of the game along with my bluray of the documentary. I hope you include the Side Quests on the bluray as well. I think the documentary will allows the flamers to see how difficult some of the decisions actually were that Tim and the company had to make in order to get the first act out last year. Also, that Tim listened to some of the complaints and increased the difficulty and length of the upcoming second act. This may also help to increase sales when the game is finally available in its entirety! Congrats on making many of your backers happy with their investment!!!!

I'm also fine with you releasing the documentary.

I have my doubts though that it will change much in regards to the negative feedback. If people go to the lengths of getting upset about a video game they might not even have played themselves, it says a lot about their rationality. Complaining about things can give you much more perceived satisfaction than praising things. And also, the promise of another "Tim Schafer Adventure Game" puts a lot of vastly different fantasies into peoples heads. You could never have satisfied them all. I, personally, hoped for a game that went into the direction of Full Throttle. Broken Age is not that. But it might be what other people hoped it would become. This is not a complaint. I'm really curious how the story plays out...

I would advocate that kickstarter backers should have no saying in what the game should be, or what you should do. It should just be: Wanna make game, gimme money if you wanna make me make game. Then forget about it for two years. But of course reality doesn't work that way. People get invested.

The documentary was very exciting. Go and release it!

I am all for releasing the documentary in order to get more awareness out there for this game. I don't think it should be released in full, but in a short 2 hour film length cut.

I feel like I got my money's worth several times over, if even just for the opportunity to help make the project possible. There are some good point and click adventure games out there these days, but I feel like a point and click adventure game of this scope and quality would not have been possible in any other way considering where the market is. I feel like the DFA has only helped the genre, and is the most direct way I've ever been able to affect gaming trends. I think releasing the documentary would be a perfect way to further the public opinion of double fine and of the adventure genre. Go for it.

The more people watching the documentary, the better. In my humble opinion, i've got more than enough value out of this project based on thr awesome documentaries alone. Spread the love.

I think that a publicly accessible, edited version of the whole thing (about 100' total?) would be the best option for everyone. On one hand, backers would not feel cheated for having payed for something later made freely available (I think that it would slightly annoy me, for instance); on the other, people currently attacking both DF and Kickstarter would have the option of informing themselves in a less overwhelming way (eighteen 20-30' documentaries - 450' - might feel a little overwhelming, especially for haters). So, I would actually enjoy the idea of a freely accessible "DFA - The Movie," reasonable in length and posted everywhere; granting non-backers free access to the entire series of documentaries, on the other side, would seem to me unfair and potentially useless for publicity. I absolutely wouldn't mind seeing the series released for a price afterwards, though (and the 100' "movie" version would work as a nice advertisement for it).

Looking forward to Broken Age part II! And THANK YOU for this great ride, team Reds!

As a backer who hasn't watched a single episode of the documentary (I'm waiting for my Blu-Ray copy so I can enjoy it as one long commentary on the making of the game I backed) I'm still fine with you releasing it publicly. I'm ok with other people getting to enjoy a project I backed, it deserves to be viewed even if they didn't help fund it. If it helps them understand where the funding went and how the game development works, well, maybe it will motivate them to help fund the next project.

This is definitely a good idea, I like to think, though I'm a slackerbacker myself, that the money for the documentary were not so it was exclusive but so It actually got made and the guys at 2Player got paid for their part in it.

I always assumed the documentary would make its way to Netflix or something eventually anyway. I definitely say share it! It's an amazing series, and it deserves to be seen by more people.

I always assumed the doc would be released to the public after it's done. It is a great series, so it should be made available for everyone who's interested.

Absolutely release it!!! The documentaries are a wonderful insight, not just into creating games, but also into what it's like to try and create something authentic and genuine and bring it into the world. Showing the process was very brave - and there will always be people who don't understand but there are other people who simply haven't considered how difficult creating something out of nothing is. I think some of the latter group would definitely be persuaded by seeing the documentary to ease up a little bit on their criticism.

Plus, apart from anything else: the documentary is brilliantly made and wonderfully entertaining. It deserves to be seen by anyone who could enjoy it!

I think that it should be made available, at least in some form. The issue is how many will care to even watch all of it??

So much went down during the production and it is so hard for me to explain to friends who did not watch many videos exactly what is going on and why its taking so damn long. I think if maybe it was cut down to a shorter version like maybe an hour or hour and a half then I could convince them to watch it. I know it would require massive edits and everything but most people generally don't care to sit there for hours and hours watching this documentary. I have many friends who have not seen a single episode and are just mad the game isn't out yet, but they still love the first part of the game, Double Fine, and most of all Tim.

I think lowering the amount of content available to them is a good idea but I don't think supplying them with 10+ hours of content will help very much. If you do open it all up you may get a lot of random people wanting to see it just to see what goes on inside a game studio. I think what might make a bigger impact would be if you added a feature in the final product where you could watch a 10-20 minute video chronicling exactly what transpired over the last 2 years. Kind of like a big rewind. This might put some ease to those who bought the product expecting a game within a years time or less. It may also interest them to actually watch the entire documentary to fully comprehend what exactly happened.

In the end though releasing it as a whole will be a great idea either way. The documentary is amazing and the struggle is their and it is very real. It truly shows geniuses doing what they do best. I still get hair standing up on the back of my neck when I am in my car listening to music and one of the songs used in the documentary starts to play from my phone.

I say do it. There are almost no documentaries on how games actually are made, so I think it is a very informative and enlightning series of videos that more people should be able to see.

I echo the sentiments of releasing it, it has been a real eye-opener for me in terms of how a game is made, the struggles and decisions and risks and compromises. I think if the Broken Age Kickstarter made any mistakes, in hindsight it was having the documentary closed off from the public. It's worth paying for. But I think it's also worth letting the world see it for what it is.

Sign in to follow this