Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Important question to backers about the DFA doc

Personally. I would feel wierd if you suddenly released it for free. It's a pretty long documentary. The notch documentary is allot shorter and that one still costs something to see. So is this documentary worth less than the notch one?

I would be ok with it beeing released to the rest after release and for a cost.

I do have mixed feelings about just throwing it out there for free before its even finished.

Meaby a cut down version? like a one hour version for free and buy the full doc? As i said above i don't think someone who isn't on the fan train already would even watch so many hours of documentary to get themselfs informed. But a shorter normal documentary cut movie meaby allot more.

Firstly, the "notch documentary" (aka Minecraft: The Story of Mojang) has been available for free for over a year: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-12-the-minecraft-documentary-is-officially-free-on-youtube

Watch it here right now: https://archive.org/details/MinecraftTheStoryOfMojang720p

Secondly, the DF Adventure documentary has already been available separately for a cost, for years: http://adventure.doublefine.com/

Why would you not want people to view the documentary you helped bring into existence?

I say absolutely make it publicly available. I didn't back the project to be part of some exclusive club. I backed it so that Double Fine could make an awesome adventure game again without the limitations of publisher funding. Why would we want to keep the amazing work you are all doing to ourselves? I, and I believe many others here, want it to be seen by as many people as possible. Release the documentary to the public one episode at a time and in its full HD format. Keep it as a purely streaming for the public if you want to keep some level of exclusivity, but it should be seen with the same level of quality as we have all seen it.

For my part, I have loved everything about this project. Act 1 was brilliant and I have no doubt that Act 2 will be just as good. The documentary has made me wish that there were documentaries for every game. Even the delays I have been ok with, perhaps because I understand the development process and the fact that the delays happen so that the game can be made better. I would much rather have that than a buggy, half finished product rushed to release because a publisher demanded it. This is something we have all seen far too much of over the past couple of years.

1000% pro releasing it for free even though I paid for it!

This should be shown at Game Design courses all over the world, not only to people that might not appreciate it.

The world should be educated about projects like these and what it really takes to do something of value.

Thank you again for all the experience and not just the game. Peace

Release the shit out of it. If I come back here and it isn't released there will be hell toupe.

What, Manny has a hair piece in the remastered version??

I'm all for you releasing this to the public. I've had my value over the years, and I'd really like for other folks to see how the sausage is really made.

Either charge a nominal fee for it, or release it streaming only with a lower quality (although even that will probably draw criticism!). I would honestly prefer 2PP/DF to make a little money from it if they can. You deserve that much.

I do suspect though that the haters will never sit there and watch it all, so will never really understand what it took to make this game.

Yeah release it to the public! I've loved them so far and viewed them multiple times. Maybe wait after the 'final' episode is out so people who held out because of spoilers can catch up... But they will have to decide for themselves, I've loved them! Thanks!

TL;DR - Release it!

I absolutely would support the release of the documentary to the public, on any reasonable (non-anti-consumer) terms, up to and including to the public domain. Here's why:

1) I backed this project to have a game create, along with a documentary on the side. As an incentive to back this project ($15 backer), I was given access to both products that were made. The creation of something was the primary reason for me backing this, and I see no reason to limit who has access to this creation.

2) There was never any promise or expectation that I would be able to have a say in either content of this creation, or the business model DF & 2PP wished to use in getting the creation out to the public (but thanks for asking!). As a backer, I place my trust in these decisions to the creators to make the best creation they can.

3) Around the time I backed this project, and in particular since, I have gotten very interested in video game history in particular, and computing history and its associated cultures in general, and have come to appreciate the value of publicly available content relating to this. The early documentary episodes in particular cover some important times in video game history, and it would be a shame for other to miss out on this. Additionally, just the fact that the development of the game is being filmed as it happens is significant and has been very insightful.

4) The documentary (so far) is just too brilliant to be locked up.

The only reasons (for me) not to release the documentary to the public are:

1) I don't think Tim's stated reasons are the best reasons to be doing so, and there is no guarantee that it'll make things any better, or even simply not worse.

2) Those who backed primary for the documentary, or bought separately later, may feel burned by it being released publicly

(although I don't fall into this category, I did feel a little like this after 2PP released the Minecraft onto YouTube not very long after I had bought it. Despite being very much pro-"release everything" and dislike current copyright laws and enforcement, it still gave me an odd, mildly unpleasant feeling).

I think is a good idea, I was fascinated by the whole process. I worked at a publisher for a year in 2000 and it was great seeing the development side as well. I think many might gain some insight into the huge amount of talent & work that goes into a project like this. Also the documentaries themselves are incredibly well made by 2 player productions so getting more of their work out there is also a good thing.

The true value of the docs to backers was was, not in them as historical records after the event, but in sharing in seeing the process of creation as it was happening, roiling and churning, and occasionally vomiting.

That's mostly done now, and it was pretty cool.

Release them.

But I doubt anyone coming cold will wade through the whole lot. Something like a two-hour "best of" seems to make more sense. And would be something I and others would watch again I'm sure, so wins all round?

Release the heck out of it. I think the ideal thing would be to have the main episodes on Vimeo for free, but then also have a "proper" release; I'm thinking something like the SUPER GAME JAM documentary, with a nice interface where the whole thing is well organized and easily accessible. If apart form the entire documentary and extras you could fit a bunch of concept art, Tim's notes, alpha/beta versions of the game etc that would make for a really nice package. It would be a shame for all the awesome work 2PP have done to be wasted by releasing it only for streaming on low quality. Go all the way!! Give this documentary the support it deserves. Not to diminish Broken Age, but the most common praise I've read of this Kickstarter campaign is "it was worth it for the documentary alone" :D.

Also, although it means more editing work for 2PP, I'm sure many backers and players of Broken Age would appreciate a "spoiler" version of the documentary, I'm sure there''s lots of great footage that wasn't used because of that. Alternatively, there could just be an option to blurr/don't blurr spoilery images. Another cool re-edit would be an "abridged" version the length of a feature film. These might be too much work, I don't know, but I'm sure people would love to see them. Also don't release it without doing an epilogue/post-mortem a few months after release. Your Dev's Play series was great and I would love to see the whole team's impressions of the experience without the pressure of actually being in the meat of it.

In short, YES PLEASE, and DO IT PROPERLY.

I approve of releasing the documentary to the public.

One thing that I've had a lot of grief with in discussions of Kickstarters on forums, are people who have no freaking clue how much it costs to run a small indie game development. If it would be at all possible to publish some kind of costs breakdown with all the things that nobody thinks of paying for like - rent and electricity, cleaning bill, licenses for third party things like sound effects/engines (I don't really know, but I assume there are a bunch of things like these that you will have to pay for)...as well as the stuff people do think of like giving your programmers enough money to feed themselves and pay their own rent...if some kind of article like that were published, it could be very useful to send to people when they complain "But this kickstarter got a whole HALF A MILLION, and it took almost a year to make this game! This MUST be a scam, and these guys are clearly building diamond studded swimming pool mansions with all the extra riches they received!*"

*Exaggeration...but only slightly :(

tl;dr - if it were possible to also release a sample budget for educating the general public, that would be even better

I agree that releasing the documentary is a good idea. In fact, it has always seemed a shame that the documentaries were backer-only; I think that one of the lessons learned from your kickstarter is that the documentary probably should have always been public. Retaining high-def versions for the backers seems a reasonable compromise to me--ship it!

I'm all for releasing it.

One of the main things that people seem to miss is that Double Fine didn't pitch Broken Age on kickstarter. They think that DF PROMISED (everything a game dev announced is a super special promise that can't be broken. no wonder more isn't said earlier about games) Broken Age would be done in X amount of time and blah blah blah. They don't realize how this spun up based on the money taken in and that estimates from the original pitch were based around a game that didn't receive 10x the funding goal. They should see this thing from the start.

I feel like I've gotten an unfair (for Double Fine) amount of value from my backing already, so if it will help you to release the documentary definitely go for it.

I'm sure you've thought of this, but of course the vast majority of people will still not watch the documentary, so I'm not sure how valuable it will be promotionally. It will hopefully at least get several additional articles about Broken Age out there.

Ummm, almost every episode of the documentary makes me cry.... soooooo, please share it, i guess? i kinda always imagined it was visible to everyone, and couldn't conceive of any misconception about the project.... please share!

The doc was awesome I definitely backed so I could just see it made for selfish reasons. I would love to see it available for anyone.

Long time not coming to the forums, but after the e-mail update, I wanted to say something:

We payed to get a game and a documentary, and we're getting it. The fact that other people have it will not diminish the value of either. I would even go so far as to say that it'll increase it's value for me, since I'll be able to talk about the documentary to people who doesn't have access to it at the moment.

Please release it publicly for online viewing, but only if it'll be free. I imagine releasing them one week at the time or something like that would be great fun for those watching it while still maintaining a stream of interest over a longer period of time. I would think 2pp wouldn't mind the exposure either for drumming up future clients.

I have derived so much enjoyment from the documentary it's unreal. Thank you to 2 Player productions and of course the production team itself.

I love the idea of this being released to the public, I think that being able to see it early was reward enough for me. Sadly i was a slacker backer so i need to purchase a bluray or hdx even though i paid a inflated fee... but no hate, i had my chance to back it early but i talked myself out of it.

:)

I do not regret my purchase Double Fine and 2pp productions team, if anything releasing this to the public makes my purchase more worthwhile.

What made the documentary so special for me as a backer, was the fact that you let me in on the ride. Every episode made me feel I was part of something special, right there while it was happening. That is something I am eternaly grateful for, but it also mean that the documentary will start to lose some of the magic that it had while everything was fresh and happening. It is still a fantastic look into game production, but that special sauce will soon be gone.

So what I am trying to say is that you should of course release each episode to the public. It was the special sauce that was important, that is what I felt you offered us when you were doing the kickstarter - a ticket to ride with you, while the game was being made. And that is what you did.

But please make a BIG thing out of this public release. Everyone who DIDN'T back the game are busy telling everybody how you cheated people, while us backers, the ones you apparently cheated, are so happy about the job you are doing, that we are all willing to let go of one of our rewards to set things straight. That fact should really be shouted from the roof tops.

Once again, thank you for this wonderful experience you are sharring with us.

Release it!

I think it should soften some criticism and bring in new customers.

Maybe bundle the last episode with the game or something...

Why the F not? You pretty much broke every other kickstarter "promise" you made regarding exclusivity. What's one more?

This reminds me of when you decided to open up the forums to "slacker backers." I'll say the same thing then as I will now. You basically took people's money - promising certain things... and you've pretty consistently pissed all over them whenever you decided it convenient. Do whatever though...

Anyway, bring on Act 2! I'm looking forward to it.

Sign in to follow this