Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Important question to backers about the DFA doc

If Double Fine's money people are ok with it, I say absolutely. It's an incredibly enlightening documentary, and the more people who get to see it the better.

Having exclusive access to anything was never in any way, shape or form a deciding factor for me, so I'm for releasing the documentary to a wider audience. I have no idea whether it will do anything against the negativity, but I have at least one non-backer friend who'd probably be interested in watching it.

Sure, go for it.

Not only has this stuff been "private" for some time now, but personally I never had problems with sharing cool stuff with other people even if I paid for it.

Kickstarter promises are a mess, it's soo hard to foresee their consequences.

Just think at the "exclusive" beta access for backers and the disaster which that created.

The kickstarter page mentions that the video updates are exclusive to the backers exactly once. However, the finished documentary might be defined not as an exclusive update for backers, but a finished product with which DF can do whatever it wants.

Oh and yes, go ahead with it. Maybe Reddit will once again love Tim.

Make it public but only give the backers the superior versions (download + Full HD + side-quests...).

No, please!

The sidequests are half the fun!

I would love to see the documentary become freely viewable to everyone, in fact I would be disappointed if it wasn't. I don't think much positivity comes from exclusivity, but sharing and openness bring all kinds of benefit. It's been a special experience to be a backer and watch this project grow, but that only makes me want more people to have the opportunity to share in that experience.

I'm 100% fine with this. It gets frustrating hearing people complain that BA wasn't released in 5 minutes, and I'm quietly raging because I know about the tech issues or recording delays etc. Let them see it, and let them see that DF wasn't just rolling in dollars for a couple of years.

Also, I've gotten a much better appreciation for what goes into making a game from the documentary, so honestly, the gaming community at large could do with seeing it.

I've just been trying to show this documentary to people for the last year or so and making it easier to share is certainly something I would like. I feel like getting to follow it as it goes was enough of a reward for me. I'm also a pretty low-level backer though.

Please do it! It's a fantastic production that we have enjoyed exclusively for a long while. While I think some peeps will never accept how game development works, the documentary is great at showing the passion you guys have put into Broken Age :)

I'm not sure releasing it would stem the tide of those negative Kickstarter articles, just because that kind of stuff gets a lot of clicks

That being said, I think you absolutely should release the documentary to the public, in full glorious quality, with nothing held back

I had access to the documentary via my Kickstarter reward tier, but I also went and bought it on VHX. It's an amazing and intimate look at what development is really like, and should be seen by as many people as possible

For me personally it is not important that it is kept exclusive to backers/purchasers, because I feel like it has grown beyond something that just accompanies the game, and is now awesome enough and long enough AND engaging enough to where people that don't even know about DFA would find it interesting

Hi Tim!

The main reason I backed this project was not to buy a game and a documentary, but to support a cause.

I love what you have done and I would love to have more.

All the games you worked at LucasArts are amazing, and Psychonauts is spectacular!

I am thrilled you are making DOTT special edition (my favorite game ever).

I think making the documentary public will help the cause a lot. And that is all that matters, so do it.

And make more amazing games! (especially Psychonauts 2 ;) )

Thanks!

JP

Personally, I'm fine with it. I'm fairly confident that it won't actually help that much to dispel the negativity, but it could be worth doing on its own merits.

However, I think you should ask about this in a Kickstarter update instead of just the forums. Maybe point backers in a KS update toward a quick online survey form to gauge their response.

Forums by their nature will attract some of your most dedicated supporters, but a Kickstarter update also goes out to some of your more casual backers who might feel differently than we do about whether they're OK with the documentary being made free to the public. As it is, you're currently going to get a significant selection bias if you only take responses from the forums.

I'm all for releasing it gradually, maybe even as marketing for Act 2. However, as CaliburnCY pointed out, please make sure all backers know about this. I only heard about this discussion because a friend of mine follows Tim on Twitter.

For sure release it to the public, for me at least the reason I backed was to make the project a reality, not to have private access to something.

I'd also say just release everything (sidequests etc.), nobody wins anything by keeping it private.

You could release any new extra's earlier to backers if that will keep people happy, but to me it wouldn't matter.

Or sell it and use the funds to create a Psychonauts artbook / sequel.

Releasing it would be great!

But I wouldn't degrade the quality of the stream, tbh. The production quality of the documentary is part of what makes it as good as it is (kudos to 2PP).

I have zero problems with a public release. Us backers already had plenty of exclusivity in the past since we watched it semi-live as things happened.

I have no problem with a public release.

I tend to agree with those who have pointed out that it will probably not turn the haters around, as for those folks the facts aren't really the point, but given how good it is as a documentary I think people should see it, and for those who don't already have a dog in the fight, or who are on the fence, it might help persuade.

It does seem to be of high enough quality to merit some kind of compensation, but I'm not sure how that would best be handled. Maybe lower quality version, as has been suggested, or main doco only for free, with paid sidequests or something...

I've seen a lot of ugly and mean and untruthful and stupid and unfair and unqualified comments from a lot of malicious and misinformed and devious and evil people out there about this gorgeous and sincere and terrific and brilliant game and its production. I say release that great piece of game development documentary in their lying faces!

It'll help Double Fine and what helps Double Fine helps every backer! Go for it.

Marcus

I think that it's a great idea. I feel like I got more alive from the video series than the game (this isn't meant as a back-handed insult).

Go for it! Make it available free of charge. It may not make a difference to those who already have it in for Double Fine, but at least the process of making the game will be more transparent to the general public, and it might nip any further negativity in the bud.

I think that's a fantastic idea. In fact, that's what I thought you were doing when you released the first episode publicly and it made me happy. :) This documentary is not just an important bit of PR material to help deal with crowd-funding negativity, but it's super educational for gamers, press and—perhaps most of all—aspiring developers and designers. I'd also argue it is a piece of history that needs to be put out there in the public interest. The success of the Broken Age campaign was groundbreaking. I'm so glad it was recorded for posterity.

Go ahead Tim. Honestly this is something that should've been done right from the start. The doc should have never been just for the backers. You would've got so much more press and interest from the public.

Sign in to follow this