Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Important question to backers about the DFA doc

My ego is satiated from nearly 3 years of exclusive documentary access. May the world enjoy these spoils!

In other words, I think it's a great move to make the documentary open to all.

Sure, I don't mind. Release the whole thing at full quality...but not until the backers have had the final episode(s) for a little while. :)

As someone who was upset that people who weren't backers got to play a Broken Age Act I (beta version) demo before people who were backers, I say go ahead and release the documentary. My only suggestion would be to just release the stuff relating to Act I's development and release. Wait to release the Act II portion of the documentary until after Act II ships.

Really looking forward to Act II by the way. :)

EDIT: Oh yeah, release it in high quality too. The doc shouldn't be watched any other way.

FAKE EDIT ^2: And for non-backers it should only be a streamed version, IMO. No downloadable version. *shrug*

Go ahead and release it (for free). Put it on Steam too if you can, their streaming stuff is pretty good these days. Get it on the frontpage carousel to get some eyeballs on it.

HD streaming for everyone, HD downloads for backers, that's what I'd suggest.

HD streaming for everyone, HD downloads for backers, that's what I'd suggest.

This is what I meant in my non-elegant manner above. :P

More than happy to share the documentary with the rest of the world and I think you are correct, that it will help people understand. I know I sure didn't before I watched it, but with each episode it became clear that game dev is by no means straight forward or easy.

Maybe you can also charge for access to the whole series in high quality to pay 2PP a bit more for the amazing work they have done. Could easily be sold on Steam.

Happy for you guys to share the documentary for free, though I'd suggest releasing a shortened version to the public, and maybe figuring out some way of getting people to pay for the full version, so that both backers and payers get more. A shorter version would also be beneficial because people who aren't already fully in support of Broken Age/Double Fine are more likely to watch something that isn't several hours long.

It would be neat (and also a bit of effort to wrangle) to have some other notable game developers talking about how the process as represented in the DFA doc compares to their own experiences, and could make for some super interesting side content in its own right.

That would be an awesome idea! I would love to hear the likes of Gabe Newell, Peter Molyneux, Will Wright, Randy Pitchford and many more contribute.

Definitely go ahead and release it. Fun pills and sleds for everyone.

Smiles

Hi, first contribution:

Yes to releasing the documentary to everyone, it's kind of like syndication anyway.

Thanks.

I put in my 2c earlier, and have read all 9 pages, and I've seen VERY few backers against sharing it with the world.

I did read a lot of skepticism of the reason for doing so. I have a different idea. Use parts of the documentary to sell the game. The doc is so high quality, you perhaps don't need to give it ALL away. You instead might give away full quality versions of select episodes that make your point about the ups and downs of the projects, assuring people that the changes are a normal part of game development and not any sign of shenanigans. Not for the true haters (whatever their reason), but for those on the fence with poor access to information.

Not every episode contributes to that message. You can give them away with end cards that you can get the FULL DOCUMENTARY SERIES for the low low price of whatever, PLUS a FREE GAME with it, and just charge what you'd been charging all along. Steam, humble, wherever documentaries are sold. Maybe even buy access to all episodes now, plus a dvd/bluray on release. Build it up as it's own thing to own. 2PP deserves to earn back something for all that work.

It gets people hooked on what everyone here seems to agree is fantastic documentary content, without giving away the store, and get to spread the message. Perhaps adding more free public episodes as you get closer to launch.

Saves 2PP from any re-edits as some have suggested, and builds your marketing plan, rather than giving something of significant value away for free.

Don't think that it'll make a difference when it comes to haters, but it will be a great document for people interested in the development of games. I know it's something I would've loved to watch as a kid.

I'm all for releasing it. Also, don't have a gap between the game being out for backers and non-backers. It's not worth it. We don't need it.

Do it! Release the documentary! I've actually hoped you'd release it publicly in the past, but I didn't think you'd do it. So PLEASE release it. Thanks.

(Although I prefer only releasing the first half (and release it in HD -- who cares about that) until Act 2 is out -- but I'll get over it if you don't do this.)

I've gotta admit, I have mixed feelings about this. I think it's because in spite of all the delays of the game, I always kept saying to myself: At least the documentary was well worth the 100 bucks already. Making it public for free would certainly feel weird to me, but if you sold it (separately, that is), I think I'm okay with it... feelings are a weird thing :P

Without your money the documentary wouldn't exist... That's what you paid for -- its existence. Are you saying you would prefer it that other people not see it?

Also, it's been on sale separately for years: http://adventure.doublefine.com/

I've always trusted your judgment during the development of this project. It's been completely clear to me that the decisions so far have been the right ones. So if you think this move will benefit DF and Broken Age in any way, I'm totally up for it. Do whatever you need to do to keep doing the awesome work you do (specially the openness part)

The documentary offers a special value, and you should charge money for it. The company would go under if you did this every time somebody bad mouths you.

The documentary is owned by 2 Player Productions, not Double Fine.

Yes, please release it. Keeping this stuff behind closed doors has only caused problems during the development of Broken Age.

Plus I think it's a wonderful piece that people would enjoy.

I've gotta admit, I have mixed feelings about this. I think it's because in spite of all the delays of the game, I always kept saying to myself: At least the documentary was well worth the 100 bucks already. Making it public for free would certainly feel weird to me, but if you sold it (separately, that is), I think I'm okay with it... feelings are a weird thing :P

Without your money the documentary wouldn't exist... That's what you paid for -- its existence. Are you saying you would prefer it that other people not see it?

Also, it's been on sale separately for years: http://adventure.doublefine.com/

Wasn't that just "slacker backer" stuff? Anyway, the link doesn't work for me ;)

Hey, I paid for it so that I could see it! :D Great, now I'm that one dick with mixed feelings about this :-/

Anyway, my initial feeling was exactly that: "I paid for it, and now it's free? How dare you!" But taking a step back, the bigger picture is really the fact, that I helped making this thing possible. The game itself isn't $100 either, and I'm not upset about that... so maybe, MAYBE, I'll just let it slide. Release it. Release it, I say!

RELEASE THE KRAKUMENTARY!!!

Do it. If anyone has serious concerns, hold back the side quests. But we've been watching this for 2 years now. I'm kinda okay with people seeing it! I'd shout the news from the rooftops.

Like a few others have expressed, I don't think the people who are negative about Broken Age will change their mind when presented with evidence to the contrary. I'm not even convinced that most of these naysayers dislike Double Fine and Broken Age for any reason other than disagreeing with opinions Tim has publicly posted. That said, if you release it (with ads, lower quality, whatever) to stream, at least when they blindly sass Double Fine, you can point them to some education.

I always assumed you would release it to the public eventually, and that being a backer would only get you early access. I say go for it.

Sign in to follow this