Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Double Fine Adventure Documentary Release

What’s that you say? Another Broken Age update, just over a week after the last one? Yes it’s true, and you can probably expect these a bit more frequently from here on out! There’s really exciting stuff happening on the project every day now and with a beta build now under our belts we’re in full on ship mode.

For instance, all animations are now totally time locked! This means the audio guys are free to kick out the final remaining cutscene sound effects and scoring, while the rest of the team is focused on crunching the bug count down to zero.

With the game so close to finishing, we’ve started talking a bit about the promotional plan for release. The challenge we’re facing is that any screens or video from Act 2 would be pretty heavy spoilers for those who have yet to play Act 1, so we’re looking for opportunities to just talk about the game more generally. Sooo...

Documentary Release

One of the biggest ways we’ve thought of to get new people excited about the game is to start releasing the documentary publicly. We posted in the forums about this just a few days ago, and it seems the majority of people agree! Not only would this potentially get more folks excited about the game, but we hope it would also go a long way towards clearing up misconceptions about development of the game, and development of games in general. We’re suuuuuuper happy with how the documentary has turned out and feel it provides an insight into game development that has rarely been seen, and one we hope will inspire people to start making games of their own!

We were thinking a good way to do this would be to start releasing episodes on Youtube as early as next week and dole them out slowly, a few each week, as we head towards release. Backers and VHX purchasers of the series would still have exclusive access to extras and special features, as well as early access to any new episodes in the series. We really want to hear what you all think about this though, as the documentary was a large part of what was being offered as a Kickstarter reward. Let us know in the comments!

Good New Games

Did you hear? Our good pal Greg Johnson just launched a Kickstarter for a new Toejam and Earl game! We’ve got a lot of fans of the original over here in the DF office, including the one and only Tim Schafer, who you’ll find in their

. Project is currently live and they’re just about halfway to their goal. Head on over to the Kickstarter page and let’s see if we can send some DF love their way!

That’s it! See you again soon for the next big milestone! PlayStation certification is riiiiiiight on the horizon!

Nah man this is an AWESOME idea. I love it! The documentary series has been amazing and non-backers have really been missing out on it. It'll be really cool to just be able to publically share the series with people, and hopefully some of them check out the game while they're at it! :)

Honestly I'm surprised you didn't release the documentaries sooner... when ever some one has said to me oh you backed that thing, how do you feel about how long its taking, first i give them a swift kick to the shins, and then i tell them, how much would you expect to pay for a movie length documentary? here in Australia at a regular cinema we are now looking at minimum $20 at a main stream cinema, then how do you feel about getting updates whilst the game is being made? Ultimately I think the main reason I really made sure I spent my money on this kickstarted was so that I could watch those docos, and I haven't been disappointed yet. Please release them so that i can direct other people to them! they hopefully will be of quite a bit of value to younger aspiring game developers like my self!

and also do a documentary on why people are idiots for hating on Peter Molyneux.

Yes! Share it with the world, so everyone can see that we, the backers, got our moneys worth ten times back and more!! It has been such a wonderful ride and now I want all my friends and family to experience it too. So please, release it to the public!!

Still 100% on board with releasing the doc publicly. Watching a new group of people dig into the documentary will allow me to vicariously enjoy it all over again.

Did you hear? Our good pal Greg Johnson just launched a Kickstarter for a new Toejam and Earl game!

I hear ya pimpin' yer fellow Gregs, and I can dig it.

shutupandtakemymoney.jpg

Celebrating by cranking the OneUps remakes of all the old TJ&E songs. Can't wait to hear the new soundtrack! I hope it's every bit as funky awesome as the original games. That new song on the Kickstarter page has my hopes way up for a sweet soundtrack! =D

This live performance of Toejam Jammin' by Oneups at Magfest is amazing (that keyboardist/drummer switcharoo at the end!!!!)

*funky dancin'*

I'm actually surprised that you ask at all. I've always seen the backing process as a way to enable the production

of the game and the documentary, not as a way to buy an exclusive copy of it. It's your content, do with it whatever

you want. If you decide to open source the complete game at some point in the future, just as id Software did with

Doom, I would be fine with that, too. Actually I would love to see you doing it.

The documentary deserves to be seen in public. Do the history of game making a favour and upload a copy of the

documentary to the Internet Archive so that it gets preserved for future generations.

As I said in the other thread, I don't like it. I gave you money primarily for the documentary series, and I wouldn't have done it if I knew you would just give it away for free.

This sounds like a great idea! As long as we get early access to new episodes I have nothing against it. :)

I like the idea :)

I wouldn't even mind, if the new episodes and specials weren't (time) exclusive.

The documentary humanizes a process that many outside the industry know nothing about. Releasing it will do nothing other than benifit the masses. I for one have watched the documentary 2-3 times already, I would love it if others were able to see that a game is more than just the end product.

+2 for its release (My daughter is 16 months, I hold her voting rights) she'll thank me later.

Yes, please share the documentary! It's a good way to teach people how complicated and difficult game development can be. Also it was helpful in understanding why Broken Age got delayed and was released in two parts. You have my blessing. ;)

I fully support the idea of releasing the documentary series to the public (perhaps in slow doses, but you guys know how to do this kind of thing and I trust you to release them at the right pace). The press has been unfairly crucifying Tim and Double Fine because the game "needed more money," and all kinds of other half-truths and utter lies. Releasing the documentary series would serve to accomplish two clear goals that I can see:

1.) It would increase interest in the game, which can only be a good thing with the final release drawing near,

and,

2.) It would go very far in helping to clear up the misconceptions and misunderstandings that the public has regarding this game and its development.

Both of these goals are worthwhile things to aim to accomplish, and both of these goals can only result in better sales for a game that will very likely prove instrumental in any hopes we have of 'reviving' the adventure game genre. It seems to me that any backer of this project should be able to get behind that.

As a backer, I don't mind the documentary series losing its exclusivity; we've enjoyed the videos to ourselves for this long, and I think now is the right time to release them to the public in some capacity. Since it's already been said that some special features and extras will still remain backer-exclusive, I have absolutely no concerns about this plan at all - and neither should any backer of this project, unless I'm missing something.

I really feel like I've got my money's worth already with the exclusive access to the documentary. I'm 100% behind you guys releasing it to the public now. Do what you've gotta do to promote the heck out of the game now. You've all worked so hard and you deserve the extra interest that this could generate.

I don't think you should do the release slowly. I think you should do it Weird Al style -- release one every day, starting on game release day. When you start releasing episodes, the internet and blogosphere will be abuzz about it every day for three weeks, and you will (I hope) sell games by the truckload as people are forced to wait for their daily documentary fix.

If you really want to start the marketing now, start releasing trailer clips from the documentary with "one episode release per day starting xxx" end slates.

The internet has a short attention span. Releasing one or two episodes a week is a recipe for losing public interest quickly. Manditory Fun became a runaway success, partially due to the quality of the album, but also partially to the marketing strategy Weird Al employed.

Once the videos are public, people will be watching them for months after, so you'll get plenty of residual benefit.

It's just hard for me to imagine the blogosphere bothering to write about the documentary for nine weeks straight if you release two episodes per week, and even harder for me to imagine that 'this weeks episode' will attract new purchasers if there's no media stir about what you are doing.

On the other hand, I can easily see the media dedicating words to your efforts for 3 weeks if you keep feeding the beast on a daily basis.

I am 100% OK with releasing the documentary to the public. I actually would love to be able to share the documentary with my friends who have yet to back.

In the end I feel that the game + documentary is way more value than the amount I paid to back the project and won't mind one bit if the documentary is available for others to learn from.

I don't think you should do the release slowly. I think you should do it Weird Al style -- release one every day, starting on game release day. When you start releasing episodes, the internet and blogosphere will be abuzz about it every day for three weeks, and you will (I hope) sell games by the truckload as people are forced to wait for their daily documentary fix.

If you really want to start the marketing now, start releasing trailer clips from the documentary with "one episode release per day starting xxx" end slates.

The internet has a short attention span. Releasing one or two episodes a week is a recipe for losing public interest quickly. Manditory Fun became a runaway success, partially due to the quality of the album, but also partially to the marketing strategy Weird Al employed.

Once the videos are public, people will be watching them for months after, so you'll get plenty of residual benefit.

It's just hard for me to imagine the blogosphere bothering to write about the documentary for nine weeks straight if you release two episodes per week, and even harder for me to imagine that 'this weeks episode' will attract new purchasers if there's no media stir about what you are doing.

On the other hand, I can easily see the media dedicating words to your efforts for 3 weeks if you keep feeding the beast on a daily basis.

Well put! Good plan! +1!

Sign in to follow this