Sign in to follow this  
youn

Public release of the documentary?

How to release it?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. How to release it?

• Please do not release it.
    • Release it, complete and free.
    • Release it with some restrictions (streaming, low res, with game only, etc...)
    • Release it for money only.

Please vote here. I hope this helps!

It doesn't help, because the majority is irrelevant. Doesn't anyone understand the basic terms of a contract? I should try this with my mortgage company and see what happens. I bet they'll be really happy.

Please vote here. I hope this helps!

It doesn't help, because the majority is irrelevant. Doesn't anyone understand the basic terms of a contract? I should try this with my mortgage company and see what happens. I bet they'll be really happy.

Could you explain what you mean please? Didn't understand the point you were making.

Could you explain what you mean please? Didn't understand the point you were making.

I think he's implying that DF are contractually obliged to not release it, whether the majority of people agree or not.

If that's what he's implying then he should point to the part of the contract which they're in breach of. (Personally I thought he was saying the opposite, though.)

Either way, this poll is still utterly pointless. The backers have voted already. I almost didn't bother to vote again simply because I know things are going ahead anyway, so it only serves the selfish few to have a platform to complain on. Which is also pointless given that nothing is going to change.

If that's what he's implying then he should point to the part of the contract which they're in breach of.

Probably "2 Player Productions will be documenting the creative process and releasing monthly video updates exclusively to the Kickstarter backers."

And they have been doing this. I personally don't see it as a problem for this content to become available to others afterwards. It was exclusive to us during the majority of development.

If that's what he's implying then he should point to the part of the contract which they're in breach of.

Probably "2 Player Productions will be documenting the creative process and releasing monthly video updates exclusively to the Kickstarter backers."

And they have been doing this. I personally don't see it as a problem for this content to become available to others afterwards. It was exclusive to us during the majority of development.

A lot of things changed when the Kickstarter turned into a runaway success. When we planned it, built it, and launched it, we had our fingers crossed we would hit the goal before the end. I distinctly remember stressing that we needed to have a few extra days at the end to take us through a weekend towards the final push.

We thought we would be making the doc for 8 months to a year. When it was finished we would have a nice neat package to try and sell, and we didn't want to devalue it by giving it away for free. It was another product, another part of the Kickstarter, not a promotional item.

As the scope of the game increased and the doc along with it, it became more and more apparent that this wasn't a good model for the health of the game in the public view. A fun backstage pass to game development turned into a PR liability as the press would leak info and sensationalize the common hurdles of game development. The projects impact was so huge, it was impossible to keep anything "private". We were locked into a plan though, and had to see it through.

You can make the best plans and try to course correct whenever things go wrong, but often you're just faced with impossible situations. The goal needs to be handling them in the best way possible.

Thus is the nature of Kickstarter - you're not signing a contract to purchase something, you're supporting a project. All you can ask of the project leaders is that they act in good faith regarding their initial proposal which, as Paul says, may include reacting in the best way to unforeseen circumstances (like, say, the scope of your project increasing by over 600%).

I feel a bit annoyed by this decision, but not at the point of asking to not release it at all. That's why I voted for "Release it with some restrictions (streaming, low res, with game only, etc...)".

It seems like it backfire anyway, the GDC stunt essentially made sure no one knew about the documentary, so it's pretty much been released for nothing! :P

Sign in to follow this