Sign in to follow this  
Levering_2pp

DFA Youtube Version and Backer Version Explained

VHX DOWNLOADS- Codes for the documentary downloads went out to original Backers at the $30 tier and above. Codes weren't sent out to Slacker or $15 tier backers. If you are in a tier that should have received codes, they can be found on your humble bundle page for Broken Age.

Videos Will Start Posting to Youtube Tuesday, March 3rd

We appreciate everyone's feedback, thoughts, and feelings with regard to the doc going public. We had our own thoughts about this of course, and it's encouraging that many others seem to share them.

There is a question of devaluation of the material by distributing it for free. As content creators, that's something we at 2 Player Productions are constantly thinking about. From the outset, the Double Fine Adventure was a joint project between 2 Player and Double Fine, with the rights of ownership to the doc largely resting with us. For most of our existence we've operated as a for-hire business, and we have few products we can count as our own to sell in support of that business. Releasing something for free is not a decision we made lightly.

For that reason, we're going to make sure we have a version available for sale that offers a great deal of value beyond the freely distributed videos, and that backers are going to be privy to all of this content at no extra charge.

Youtube Version-

Periodic release at 720p with brief pre-roll ads calling out the additional features of the digital purchase. Episode end slate with links to buy the doc, the game, the soundtrack, and to continue watching the next episode in the series.

Why 720p? Considering the size of the viewer most people will be watching in, it's mostly fine. It also ads more value to the digital bundle by placing all the 1080p content there.

Backer / VHX Version

1080p (or lower, if user desires) downloads of the series and any bonus material. Close captions on the core series. Streaming to a number of smart devices. DRM free, no ads. All episodes retouched to tweak color timing, correct errors, make minor improvements. Commentary tracks on the core series. Spoiler blurs removed. New additional scenes / bonus footage.

When everything is wrapped up, we also want to increase the price of the doc, and create two separate bundles. A regular edition of just the series, and a deluxe edition with all the bonus content. This will be an automatic upgrade for backers and current VHX purchasers. We're not going to ask you to pay more for anything.

We've spent three years working on the doc. We're putting all we can in to its release. People have suggested we do a feature cut, and we're thinking about that too. If we do, we'll give it to you for free.

We're excited to be putting all this out finally. During everything that's happened, it's meant a lot to us to constantly see backers popping up in comment threads and stepping into the fray to cite the documentary against many gross inaccuracies. It's our feeling that understanding can only add to the appreciation and enjoyment of something. We're glad you folks have enjoyed this journey and, more importantly, that you learned something from it. Hopefully others will too.

720p for free version and 1080p for backer/VHX version seems like a reasonable compromise for quality. It'll still look really good and backers still get the best quality version. :)

Any idea on release date? Might give me a reason to watch it all again from the beginning. :P

720p for free version and 1080p for backer/VHX version seems like a reasonable compromise for quality. It'll still look really good and backers still get the best quality version. :)

Any idea on release date? Might give me a reason to watch it all again from the beginning. :P

We're kicking it off tomorrow!

Will Slacker Backers get upgraded?
Yes!

Awesome, Thanks for the quick reply!

I hope you're doing a lot to promote this... and have some sort of strategy of dealing with the initial skepticism that the DF hating folk will have. (Ensuring that people realise that are in creative control of it, not DF, would probably help, I guess.)

Anyways, good luck!

Can't wait to see how this super awesome documentary turns out after "little bit of spit and polish"!

Is this plan currently a secret?
Press release and the videos go out tomorrow, so maybe hold off on talking about it till then?

The plan sounds great. I hope a lot of people watch it (and buy the documentary, game, etc.) as a result. I'd really love to see this documentary work continue on future projects. I've loved every minute of it.

Press release and the videos go out tomorrow, so maybe hold off on talking about it till then?

So soon! Awesome :D

I'm sure you're planning on this anyway, but can you please let us know when this has happened? I'd like to promote it and don't want to get confused about timezones!

I'm sure you're planning on this anyway, but can you please let us know when this has happened? I'd like to promote it and don't want to get confused about timezones!

I'll second that. I'll post this up on Mixnmojo and The Adventuress as soon as it's up. :)

And I'll have to dust off my twitter account and Facebook to spread the word too. The documentary has been so well done so far, it really needs to be watched by as many people as possible. :)

I'll second that. I'll post this up on Mixnmojo and The Adventuress as soon as it's up. :)

And I'll have to dust off my twitter account and Facebook to spread the word too. The documentary has been so well done so far, it really needs to be watched by as many people as possible. :)

The plan is that we're going to launch in the next few hours. I'm glad to hear that many of you are enthusiastic about spreading the word, the support of the backers is going to make a big difference. I'll update the posts when it's live, or you can follow all the relevant twitter accounts to be notified. There's a press release going out as well, so as long as everyone isn't too busy with GDC we may see some traction with the outlets.

The plan is that we're going to launch in the next few hours.

The forum post timestamps always confuse me as well, so this on its own wouldn't help me either! I'll keep an eye out for updates...

It is confusing! I like it when forums allow us to set our own timezone.

Edit: Hey, guess what! I just updated my timezone settings again, and now they're correct for me. Woo!

Great news, your documentary is amazing and I'm really glad that everyone can watch it now !

I didn't get, as a backer, where can I donwload the 1080p ? (maybe it's not up yet ?)

Sorry if my question is dumb, thanks in adavance :)

Great news, your documentary is amazing and I'm really glad that everyone can watch it now !

I didn't get, as a backer, where can I donwload the 1080p ? (maybe it's not up yet ?)

Sorry if my question is dumb, thanks in adavance :)

Backers should have gotten VHX codes a couple of updates back. We can set you up if you're missing one. mail paullevering@doublefine.com

Ho I'm dumb, I only backed the game, not the "HD download" level of Kickstater.

Thanks for your fast anwser, I'm buying the $10 VHX right now (well, the website seems down now, but as soon as possible)

Backers should have gotten VHX codes a couple of updates back. We can set you up if you're missing one. mail paullevering@doublefine.com

What's the situation for Slacker Backers and original backers at the $15 tier? I don't think any of us got codes (since it wasn't part of the original reward). I believe this actually affects the majority of all backers, since almost 50,000 backers pledged at the lowest level.

Ho I'm dumb, I only backed the game, not the "HD download" level of Kickstater.

Thanks for your fast anwser, I'm buying the $10 VHX right now (well, the website seems down now, but as soon as possible)

Conradson, per Paul's post above, they're upgrading all backers to get a download of the documentary. Not that I'll stop you if you want to tip them $10.

A lot of people are saying http://adventure.doublefine.com isn't working for them.

The error is apparently: "This webpage is not available"

Some people were saying this before your documentary went live. You need to get whoever is responsible for this website to look into it ASAP.

A lot of people are saying http://adventure.doublefine.com isn't working for them.

The error is apparently: "This webpage is not available"

Some people were saying this before your documentary went live. You need to get whoever is responsible for this website to look into it ASAP.

This MIGHT be fixed now. Will be keeping an eye out for any complaints. It wasn't effecting everyone, just very random connections.

What's the situation for Slacker Backers and original backers at the $15 tier? I don't think any of us got codes (since it wasn't part of the original reward). I believe this actually affects the majority of all backers, since almost 50,000 backers pledged at the lowest level.

[del]I'm pretty sure we decided to just give all the backers codes. I wasn't involved in how they got sent out so we're going to have a meeting about that today. GDC is making everything really hectic.[/del]

My apologies, I was totally wrong about this. I was mixing this up with the codes that went out for our Minecraft movie project. The way it stands right now is that backers $30 and up should have received VHX codes on their Humble bundle pages for Broken Age. $15 tier backers and Slacker backers did not get sent codes. Apologies for the confusion, GDC sucks and I have a crap memory.

Sign in to follow this