Sign in to follow this  
Levering_2pp

The Double Fine Adventure Documentary is Public!

Hey everyone, we're live! Here's the press release going out-

The collaboration between 2 Player Productions and Double Fine Productions that launched a historic Kickstarter campaign is nearing its conclusion! In anticipation of the release of Act 2 of “Broken Age”, episodes of “The Double Fine Adventure!” will be released to Youtube every Tuesday and Thursday starting today - March 3rd.

A three-year journey spanning eighteen (and counting) episodes, “The Double Fine Adventure!” chronicles the creation of “Broken Age” from a germ of an idea in Tim Schafer’s notebook, to a finished game and beyond. Along the way, the team confronts production delays, internal strife, and outside controversy in what is the most honest, in-depth look at video game development ever created. Previously exclusive to Double Fine’s Kickstarter backers, now everyone can share in the passion, humor, and heartbreak of this landmark documentary series, for free!

“The Double Fine Adventure!” is also viewable in full via online distribution platform VHX.com. It is currently available at an early bird price which gives viewers immediate access to the whole series in 1080p, plus a host of free bonus features which will become available once the series is complete.

Purchase The Double Fine Adventure! -

http://adventure.doublefine.com

The Double Fine Adventure! Youtube Playlist -

Youtube Release info-

On March 3rd, the series will launch with the first three episodes of the documentary. After that, new episodes will be air every Tuesday and Thursday in 720p. Major “Broken Age” story points are blurred or obscured to allow for spoiler-free viewing!

VHX Release info-

Currently available at the Early Bird pricing of $10 for the whole series, including all extra content. DRM-free 1080p downloads and streaming. Automatic upgrade as new material becomes available. Features coming at completion of the series include closed captions, removal of spoiler blurs, deleted scenes, commentary tracks, and bonus videos.

The Early Bird pricing will end on the day Act 2 of “Broken Age”Broken Age is released. After that, the price of the documentary will increase to $15 for the basic series and $20 for the series and bonus features.

Are those stills with the watercolor effect during the credits a new addition? I don't remember those being there before. Looks nice!

Works fine for me. There's clearly an issue with that link -- I've seen lots of people complaining that it's not working for me, while it's been working for me the entire time.

Works fine for me. There's clearly an issue with that link -- I've seen lots of people complaining that it's not working for me, while it's been working for me the entire time.
It's not working for me now either. We're going to look into asap, IT should be getting into the office soon.

I think it's interesting that information that was not supposed to be public from the DFA doc got reported to the public by multiple major news sources, and also an offhand comment made by Tim in an update video gets almost instant mention in multiple major news sources, but something more positive and informative like, "Hey, you can all watch the formerly backer-only documentary now and see that stuff for yourself" gets seemingly ignored by pretty much all those same sources.

Frustrating.

I think it's interesting that information that was not supposed to be public from the DFA doc got reported to the public by multiple major news sources, and also an offhand comment made by Tim in an update video gets almost instant mention in multiple major news sources, but something more positive like, "Hey, you call can watch it now" get seemingly ignored by pretty much all sources. Frustrating.
Welcome to our world.

Unfortunately, the replies to the news post on Twitter by PC Gamer are too predictable:

This is why I said that while I approve of this decision generally, I do not think evidence and facts are going to sway the people spewing hate because they have political beef with the head of the company.

I think it's interesting that information that was not supposed to be public from the DFA doc got reported to the public by multiple major news sources, and also an offhand comment made by Tim in an update video gets almost instant mention in multiple major news sources, but something more positive and informative like, "Hey, you can all watch the formerly backer-only documentary now and see that stuff for yourself" gets seemingly ignored by pretty much all those same sources.

Frustrating.

So much this. Obviously they're all preparing a big review article on the first three episodes, but that's probably some wishful thinking on my part... It's weird how little is reported on the intricacies of actual game development. I've always found it surprising that not a single news outlet bothered to write a more extensive piece on Amnesia Fortnight, for instance. The 2PP videos provide a lot of insight into game development, but for some reason journalists don't actually seem to want to write about that stuff. Instead, they mostly produce short news stories, often interjected with some (uninformed) criticism. Even Polygon doesn't seem to be interested in meaty feature articles anymore. It's frustrating indeed.

Unfortunately, the replies to the news post on Twitter by PC Gamer are too predictable:

This is why I said that while I approve of this decision generally, I do not think evidence and facts are going to sway the people spewing hate because they have political beef with the head of the company.

We know those people will never change their minds, that's ok. The thing we need to do is make it harder for them to change other peoples minds.

There exists a huge number of people in the middle that don't know anything about this stuff, and if they are only hearing the muckrakers that's how their opinions will be formed. Putting the story out there means a chance for more people to hear something closer to the truth.

I monitor as many other conversations going on out in the wild as I can, and honestly, there have been a lot of people standing up for us. This Reddit thread for instance has a bunch of comments that just got down-voted into oblivion for being snarky and un-informed.

I monitor as many other conversations going on out in the wild as I can, and honestly, there have been a lot of people standing up for us. This Reddit thread for instance has a bunch of comments that just got down-voted into oblivion for being snarky and un-informed.

Glad to hear it. I've had to defend DF on twitter before, and the attacks felt inexplicable. I guess I'm underestimating the undecided because they're probably much more quiet about it! Thanks for the perspective.

I think for me it's not so much sad or surprising to me to see the behavior of internet commenters. Those have always been mostly terrible (especially when you give them a fence to be on one side of), as the existence of comment sections on YouTube videos proved long before the DFA was even a twinkle in DF's/2PP's eye.

What's depressing to me is that people who are supposed to be news professionals are instead muckracking, gossip mongering, and publishing articles not to inform people that something is going on, but as a way to get people arguing in their comment threads (dat click money).

As a Double Fine fan, I want to go to the comment threads and correct the misinformation, but in doing so I am reinforcing the apparent strategy of monetizing TMZ style gossip mongering, and that I do NOT want to do. It feels so very lose-lose.

If the DFA doc has done one thing very succesfully, it has made me extremely distrustful of major, consumer-oriented game news sites. Not in an "ethics in journalism" gamergatey sort of way, and not in the "I suspect they are accepting publisher bribes" sort of way. But just in the regular old way that I don't think anything I read on those sites is any more valuable than just some dude's reddit post. And most depressing of all: the "reporting" often feels laced with the personal stance of the reporter, suggesting to me the correct way I am supposed to feel about what I'm being told, instead of just telling it to me. They are not above taking reactionary internet pot shots, albeit written in a relatively "news post" style.

It's like waking up one morning and realizing, "Oh sh*t, I've been watching FOX News this whole time". And, slightly embarrassed with yourself, you turn off the television forever.

Sign in to follow this