Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dastardly31

What happens between the last gen and new gen?

Seeing as we're in the PS4 / XBOX ONE age, one thing that worries me is the great games DF made for the previous gen are going to be lost and you're going to need to buy a second hand console to play these games. I know that they're on PC but a lot of gamers buy consoles rather than PC to play games.

I have a suggestion...

Seeing as the games have been ported to PC and the new consoles have PC architecture, would it be feasible to release like a "Double Fine Collection?"

I'm not sure about costs for porting from PC to new gen, but surely it can't be that much, so these games can be played on the new gen consoles for audiences that missed them first time round.

For clarity the games are -

Psychonauts

Brutal Legend

Costume Quest

Stacking

The Cave

Iron Brigade (maybe XB1 only)

Happy Action Theater (XB1 again)

Kinect Party (XB1)

I would buy them again with the updated graphics, would you?

I would buy them again with the updated graphics, would you?

No, because those I want I already have for PC (except The Cave, where I'm still waiting for a DRM-free release).

Still, I've nothing against porting them to next-gen consoles.

Of course the real problem, or rather bottleneck, are the publishers. Mentioning The Cave above for example, published by Sega, they don't want DRM free games (but at least they haven't set up their own service...yet) so probably won't see that unless DF pays them off in 10 years time.

Takes time to get them to sign off on new versions, agree fees, payment for the porting and all that jazz. It took, what? Four years to get Brutal Legend over onto the PC?

I'm sure this is something DF have and are looking into, they like to have all their games across as many platforms as possible, just gonna take time.

But no I wouldn't buy any of the DF games I already own with updated graphics. A HD version of Costume Quest doesn't sound that appealing unless they went nuts and made everything hyper realistic: Costume Quest The Gritty Reboot! All the colours desaturated, added gore, a love story between the two leads where neither one is interested in each other until the end and, of course, chest-high-walls. I would totally buy that!

Sign in to follow this