Sign in to follow this  
Brütal Ke$ha

I forgot how cool of a guy Tim Schafer was

Until I saw this

WjoZK4048aM

This was probably being discussed somewhere else but I didn't see it. I thought this was great.

Well, one thing is absolutely certain. The DFA backers are not Sargon of Akkad's shield.

He's mocking sockpuppet accounts, and GG is using minorities, LGBT people, and women to deflect criticism and ironically, as a shield. Using being the important word. GamerGaters hate and do not care about minorities or LGBT people.

what am i supposed to be mad about here? i tried to google "not your shield" and i got a fucking essay. what does gamergate stand for anymore aside from a really convoluted rationalization for hating women?

Oh, gamergate is absolutely pro diversity.

It's just that...

..well...

...it's not really that appropriate in most game genres...

...and never historically accurate...

...and it really feels forced in so many cases...

...and the target group of games happens to see their games ruined by it...

...and the Social Justice Warrior is making a stand for it in a perverted and exaggerated way...

...and the SJW is generally unfit to ask for diversity in games if he is male and white...

...and anyway that push for more diversity comes from voices outside of gaming fandom...

...except the video game press, which is corrupt in supporting and infusing gamers with this ideology...

...while developers immediately stop thinking for themselves and yield to their evil influence.

...also, gamergate even has women and black people!

*sigh*

GamerGaters hate and do not care about minorities or LGBT people.

Who is feeding you that crap?

GamerGate.

B_U-pGFUcAEvHVH.png

No need to go as far as 8chan or reddit. You can find the vilest gamergate crapheads in the GOG forums already.

No need to go as far as 8chan. You can find the vilest gamergate crapheads in the GOG forums already.

While I'm not surprised...that hurts. Hurts me right in my wittle classic PC gaming heart. :(

No need to go as far as 8chan. You can find the vilest gamergate crapheads in the GOG forums already.

While I'm not surprised...that hurts. Hurts me right in my wittle classic PC gaming heart. :(

Me too. Which is why I still turn up there. I just continuously fail to understand why exactly the kind of mindless consumer Leigh Alexander has described is even present at all on GOG... of course, the political extremists on there are THE WORST.

what am i supposed to be mad about here? i tried to google "not your shield" and i got a fucking essay. what does gamergate stand for anymore aside from a really convoluted rationalization for hating women?

Misogynists are just one ideological current among many in the gamergate movement. There are misogynists, correct (prime examples are of course Roosh V. and Davis Aurini), which mix with a crazy bunch of MRAs (Karen Straughan), then there are US centric "Republican" voices (Hoff Sommers), wild conspiracy theorists, opportunists (Vavra, Chmielarz, Yiannoupoulos, Baldwin) and submissive, mindless consumers (John Bain). It's an epic clusterfluck that seizes on a lot of things (with the sole exception of ethics in the video game industry).

I am neutral on this whole debate, but I am pretty surprised making a racist joke against a minority is generally considered despicable, while targeting the minority within the minority isn't.

Pfft gamergate is soo 2014

A whole lot of indie developers wish that was the case. Unfortunately... the way 2015 started... they're keeping this up.

He's mocking sockpuppet accounts, and GG is using minorities, LGBT people, and women to deflect criticism and ironically, as a shield. Using being the important word. GamerGaters hate and do not care about minorities or LGBT people.

Bullshit! Yes, there maybe some radical bigots in GamerGate who want to make women leave the gaming industry, but GamerGate is not the next Nazi Youth as some people make them out to be. We just don't like SJW influence in gaming and we have no issues with minority representation in gaming. As a Democrat, I believe that SJWs have tarnished the U.S. Democrat Party and give "real liberals" a bad name. I have no idea where you got that belief from, but if you've been following Anita, then I suggest you stop. May I ask people in this thread on what your political ideologies are as it relates to civil rights and social justice?

We just don't like SJW influence in gaming

You mean: philantropist motifs and increasing inclusion in video game narratives.

I have a solution for that: play Tetris or anything else without a story.

The way the gaters are painting "SJW influence", William Shakespeare was the fucking king of Social Justice Warriors, hot in the heels of Geoffrey Chaucer.

Finding "SJW influence" in video game narratives is the pastime of people who know absolutely not a single thing about storytelling. Wiping out the literary motifs attacked by gaters today would, at the very least, require a time machine trip to antiquity.

As a Democrat, I believe that SJWs have tarnished the U.S. Democrat Party and give “real liberals” a bad name. I have no idea where you got that belief from, but if you’ve been following Anita, then I suggest you stop. May I ask people in this thread on what your political ideologies are as it relates to civil rights and social justice?

I firmly think that there is nothing political at all about diversity in video game narratives, and I am continuously appalled how the topics at hand are grossly distorted to fit into the narrow perspective confines of the all right wing political "spectrum" of the US plutocracy. The discussion is, at best, an academic endeavour that neither politicians nor mindless consumers understand.

Maybe I just spend too much time on chans. I think there's a pretty distinct line between those legitimately concerned with the gg issues (/gamergate) and those hacking/doxxing sjws for the lulz (currently /baphomet). Not sure why it's so difficult to discern legitimate arguments from obnoxious spam on a case-by-case basis.

Anyways I didn't really mean to open a can of worms. Mostly thought Tim was being funny.

We just don't like SJW influence in gaming

You mean: philantropist motifs and increasing inclusion in video game narratives.

I have a solution for that: play Tetris or anything else without a story.

The way the gaters are painting "SJW influence", William Shakespeare was the fucking king of Social Justice Warriors, hot in the heels of Geoffrey Chaucer.

Finding "SJW influence" in video game narratives is the pastime of people who know absolutely not a single thing about storytelling. Wiping out the literary motifs attacked by gaters today would, at the very least, require a time machine trip to antiquity.

Did you ignore the rest of my post? Since when did we want games to remove stories? Last time I check, GamerGate is not trying to get rid of stories, it's just they want to make sure that the gameplay and the story are equal in the game. For example, the issue with Gone Home and Depression Quest was that the developer focused on political agendas more than the actual gameplay.

It seems that you and I, fortunately, share the similar aversion towards the U.S. Republican Party, but we need to tell the difference between radicalism and moderation in politics. So, are you going to view me as some enemy if I support a part of GamerGate or criticize a feminist like Sarkesteen, Alexander, or Wu?

EDIT: [decided to erase my own post. I still stand by what I said but I don't feel it belongs here]

For example, the issue with Gone Home and Depression Quest was that the developer focused on political agendas more than the actual gameplay.

POLITICAL AGENDA?! In Depression Quest?? Did you even come within a mile of playing that game?

For example, the issue with Gone Home and Depression Quest was that the developer focused on political agendas more than the actual gameplay.

POLITICAL AGENDA?! In Depression Quest?? Did you even come within a mile of playing that game?

No, but I heard some things about that game such as trying to exploit Robin Williams' suicide to promote the game. Are you going to just focus on one thing I said or are you going to let me speak my mind.

Gamergate is the most republican thing I've ever seen. They parade the handful of women and minorities they have in their entire group up on stage to 'prove' they're working for them, while simultaneously doing everything in their power to undermine and silence those people when it actually counts by accusing any inclusion or respectful depiction of them in a game as being "SJW bullshit".

Absolutely disgusting.

GamerGate is not 100% Republican. If that was the case, then FOX News would have their own GamerGate show. GamerGate has often been described as liberal-libertarian. I'm a guy that's usually goes on Know Your Meme which is pro-GamerGate. Most people who upload images or make comments on the GamerGate entry identify themselves as liberal, but they are against the U.S. two party format. Oh by the way, before you accused me of being a Republican or a teabagger, just know that I:

1. Live in a liberal family.

2. Voted for Obama in the 2012 Presidential Election and voted for Wendy Davis in the 2014 Texas Governor Election.

3. If you ever met my mother, I guess you would see her as a SJW.

Since when did we want games to remove stories?

Implicitly, always. The Social Justice Warrior is a fantasy figure, an anonymous and completely fictional concept of the enemy. "Social Justice Warrior influence" boils down to any kind of even remotely eye catching diversity. In other words, it's a witch hunt.

As previously noted, the motifs gaters seize on have been around since antiquity. Remove those, end up with nothing. Story removed.

The other even weirder idea I have encountered is to remove "ideology" from games. That, too, can only ever be achieved by removing the story. Narrative is ideology.

And then there's that "no opinion in game reviews" stuff. Get that, the removal of subjectivity in art critique — I have never heard a more ludicrous idea in my life.

No, but I heard some things about that game such as trying to exploit Robin Williams' suicide to promote the game.

Oh, yes of course, he, uh, conveniently died as a tie in to the release of the game. Oh wait, no, he died one and a half years later...

Wait what since when is this a political thing??

oh right, i'm in the Murica part of the internet

As I said, that is just absolutely gross. It HAS to be political. Every statement about video games puts you on the side of either one of a grand total of two political parties in a far away land, not even your own country, and both of these parties would be considered right wing in most of Europe.

And STILL Europeans are eating that shit up. The Social Justice Warrior this, the Social Justice Warrior that.

It's amazing, simply amazing how criticising video games gets painted as political. Coming from literature/linguistics, I find that even dangerous. Politics are to be kept out of the arts. And that is not achieved by pointing at opinions you don't like, calling them "a political agenda". I've been reading feminist criticism of literature for half eternity now. It's essentially the same thing we're encountering in video games today, only in video games it's political and needs a conspiracy of SJWs to support it. Hogwash, all of it.

Games are growing up, like books and movies and comics did and continue to. There's nothing political about that.

Mostly agreed; I do see gamergate as a mixture of rather different ideological currents though. Especially those currents which would love to draw the issue into the political realm are going with the "Social Justice Warrior" as an enemy figure, while other prominent not-really-gaters like John Bain are desperately pleading to abandon it (almost every public gater figure doesn't identify as gater).

In the same vein, not many gamergaters would agree that gaga is about "want[ing] to make sure that the gameplay and the story are equal in the game". That would be directly opposed to the "let the market decide" idea I've been hearing so much lately. It's one of those catch-22's of gamergate: Man, you really want to outlaw those damn not-a-games, but then again, if they actually get sold and therewith justify their existence, surely there's an evil conspiracy collective out there which pours money into not-a-games. ;)

Saying that gamergate is about bringing back more gameplay into games gets you your ass whupped in many gater circles. It's not a spin to the saga that brings the movement anywhere they really want to go, and it raises too many inconvenient questions as to the modes by which that goal is to be reached.

Bullshit! Yes, there maybe some radical bigots in GamerGate who want to make women leave the gaming industry, but GamerGate is not the next Nazi Youth as some people make them out to be. We just don't like SJW influence in gaming and we have no issues with minority representation in gaming. As a Democrat, I believe that SJWs have tarnished the U.S. Democrat Party and give "real liberals" a bad name. I have no idea where you got that belief from, but if you've been following Anita, then I suggest you stop. May I ask people in this thread on what your political ideologies are as it relates to civil rights and social justice?

I don't answer to you, man. I don't care about Democrats, Republicans, or "real liberals", I care about what's right. I've paid attention to whether or not the movement had anything of merit to say, but inside of their own bubble, anyone who isn't a cruel, horrible human being is either being used or is horribly misguided.

You want a movement that cares about journalistic integrity? Make a new one, because you aren't in one. Every allegation taken against Anita and Zoe has been disproven time and time again, and everything else boils down to a difference of opinion every time. You don't want SJW influence in games? I don't want GamerGate influence in games. I want devs to be mindful of and empathetic toward people who have barely had any representation in games in any form. If you see that as despicable, I don't agree, and I have nothing else to say about it.

Heads up guys, it's fine to talk about the GDC awards but if this thread evolves into a gamergate discussion thread it will be locked. Ya'll are being mostly civil so far, but all those threads do on here is create drama.

Not sure we have achieved being all civil, but it's definitely a gamergate discussion thread... no turning back. :(

It's my fault, lol. I can't help myself. Although, I mean, this thread is about Tim poking fun at GamerGate, so the subject is kinda GamerGate so....um....I'll see my way out.

As I said, that is just absolutely gross. It HAS to be political. Every statement about video games puts you on the side of either one of a grand total of two political parties in a far away land, not even your own country, and both of these parties would be considered right wing in most of Europe.

And STILL Europeans are eating that shit up. The Social Justice Warrior this, the Social Justice Warrior that.

I love the USA for it's "freedom of speech". If you want to put up a sign reading "god hates fags" it is your right to do so. In Europe, you'd be labeled as Hitler and put in jail