Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
youn

What happened at GDC 2015?

I don't really follow gamergate and have no idea what "notyourshield" means, but it seems people are mad about some jokes being made with a sock puppet. Can anyone clue me in? I tried to find explanations but I still don't "get it". Are people making assumptions about something perhaps?

I don't really follow gamergate and have no idea what "notyourshield" means, but it seems people are mad about some jokes being made with a sock puppet. Can anyone clue me in? I tried to find explanations but I still don't "get it". Are people making assumptions about something perhaps?

Here you go:

http://www.salon.com/2014/11/23/from_stuff_white_people_like_to_notyourshield_how_irony_is_killing_activism/

(GG would represent the activism-killing irony in this scuffle).

Basically, the whole #notyourshield thing was a tag going around on twitter to go against the assumption that many anit-gamergaters had that the whole GG movement was made up of white, straight, privileged males. Non-white people, transgender people and women would use the tag to show anti-GGers that they did not condone using them as a way of showing how the GG movement was racist, sexist, etc.

Therefore, with the joke that Tim made, it has come off as racist and sexist (depending on how sensitive you are to that sort of thing), as he has likened people who use the #notyourshield tag to a sock-puppet and therefore seriously demeaning their position.

Although we don't know for sure, I seriously doubt Tim was trying to be malicious with what he said. I think what he did was kind of stupid and was never really going to end well for him. I think he was just trying to take a more general stab at the whole GG movement but it has had it blow up in his face. A mistake that probably wont be forgotten any time soon, unfortunately.

Here's an article: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/gamergate-developer-tim-schafer-provokes-rage-with-joke-about-online-gaming-activists-at-industry-awards-10089124.html

As someone who is a minority, has been an active advocate for social justice, a Kickstarter backer and a long time fan, I've been extremely disappointed with Tim and Double Fine throughout all of this.

Here's an article: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/gamergate-developer-tim-schafer-provokes-rage-with-joke-about-online-gaming-activists-at-industry-awards-10089124.html

As someone who is a minority, has been an active advocate for social justice, a Kickstarter backer and a long time fan, I've been extremely disappointed with Tim and Double Fine throughout all of this.

How so?

It's never a good idea to meet or know too much about your heroes, you'll always be disappointed to learn that they are actually human.

But I don't understand the whole hoo ha regarding his joke at GDC. I have been researching this GG and NYS stuff and what I can find is that people find this a very sensitive issue.

I don't think that people saw that it was word play - armour = shield.

But it sounds like its gotten to the point where you just say gamergate aloud and there's an earthquake.

Why does The Independent give GamerGate legitimacy? Poor form.

Tim Schafer was on fire last night. I really enjoyed the opening he gave. I thought Gatorgoobers would be more upset with the fact that he openly admitted that he had slept with all the attendees. Oh well, you never know...

I couldn't keep up with this whole gamergate business enough to know who was who, but it's rapidly becoming apparent that GG are the most delusional group of people I've seen in years.

In what alternate dimension does criticizing B.S. excuses to keep female playable characters out of video games equate to "being against women and minorities?" I have never seen such a 180 degree flip.

Also if these people had ANY idea what Tim was like, had followed ANY of his work and played ANY of his games throughout his career, they'd realize how utterly insane they look accusing him of being either sexist OR racist.

I couldn't keep up with this whole gamergate business enough to know who was who, but it's rapidly becoming apparent that GG are the most delusional group of people I've seen in years.

In what alternate dimension does criticizing B.S. excuses to keep female playable characters out of video games equate to "being against women and minorities?" I have never seen such a 180 degree flip.

Also if these people had ANY idea what Tim was like, had followed ANY of his work and played ANY of his games throughout his career, they'd realize how utterly insane they look accusing him of being either sexist OR racist.

Amen.

It seems like GG started as something but ha de evolved into what it is now. Seems like a lot of people are still clinging to its original message?

Actually, I get it now. Tim cracked a joke about how GamerGate is way more about publicity than actually accomplishing anything..

And GamerGate's reply was "Um we have like six women and maybe a dozen minorities in our group of thousands so if you say something bad about us that makes you a sexist and a racist"

Jeez, someone should really tell gamergate to stop using women and minorities as their shield, right?

+1 to the above.

Re: the #notyourshield tag: I can be an ally for any group I want to and champion for equality as much as I want to. And just because someone who belongs to that particular group chimes in and says, "I think the status quo is fine", guess what? They are not the official spokesperson. Trying to squelch allies for equality by implying they are white, guilty, liberal hippy buffoons makes the implier at BEST ignorant or complacent, and at worst an actual enemy of equality, in the sense that they see people who are interested in distributing social power and representation a little more equally and literally think that, "No, I would prefer if people didn't try to correct perceived inequalities and just left any imbalances they see just as they are." Sometimes that's because those people are reaping all the benefits of being in the advantaged position (here is where all the accusations of GGers consisting primariily of white men come in), or else it's just people who feel like it doesn't matter to them. And honestly? Maybe it doesn't. And that's fine. But they can't then suggest that because it doesn't matter to them that it shouldn't matter to anyone. That's selfish.

I mean, you can probably find plenty of examples of women who are fine with staying at home, letting the husband work, and just raising babies and cleaning the house. Some women are fine with that, and that's honestly totally fine. There's nothing wrong with that, if that's exactly what this particular woman wants. But some women DON'T want that, and just because that woman exists who finds that life sufficient, she can't throw up #notyourshield and tell white male activists for wage equality to "stop using her for their agenda". It's not just about her and what she's fine with. It's about everyone. Welcome to Earth. Lots of people live here.

Harassment via sock puppet accounts is ridiculous and deserves ridicule. Point: Tim.

Trying to shame people in a majority position for trying to ally themselves with people in a minority position is ridiculous and deserves ridicule. Point: still Tim.

*waits for his GG sermon to arrive*

The entire gamergate movement and everything I seen from it is just crap.

Yes woman should be treated correctly but the entire gamergate is just a big flamefest that did nothing

but make the gaming community even worse then before.

And that is the biggest reason the entire gamergate movement should be joked and rediculed.

Discussing the awards show is fine, but if this thread turns further into a discussion of gamergate it will be locked. I understand it's hard to separate the two, so it might be futile to leave it open, but I believe you guys can be civil and impartial.

Your post makes no sense to me, but alrighty then. It's your forum, after all.

Discussing the awards show is fine, but if this thread turns further into a discussion of gamergate it will be locked. I understand it's hard to separate the two, so it might be futile to leave it open, but I believe you guys can be civil and impartial.

HOW DARE YOU... wait, no, the opposite... Yeah, I agree. I just find it sad that someone like Tim frickin Schafer is now, of all th people, on the receiving end of GG.

But the fact that people are calling him sexist and racist shows that people are so quick to judge and are desperate for attention.

The entire #notyourshield tag was shown up to have been started by some guy as a way to basically persuade women and minorities to speak out against so-called SJWs talking bad about GG.

So that's right... in irony so thick you can swim in it, notyourshield was literally created in order to use marginalised groups AS A SHIELD against anti-GG criticism.

(edit: just noticed Justin's post. I'll stop here, and understand why, but admittedly it's rather hard to talk around, right now)

Sorry if my post was too prickly. I'd rather avoid the topic of GG on DFAF, too.

Is the full speech up on youtube? I heard snippets of it that sounded really funny on youtube, but I'd like to hear the whole thing.

Maybe this:

I think I understand the joke now, but it was a bit challenging at first... perhaps that's some side-effect of our clamoring for the development of harder puzzles :P

Anywho, best wishes to all, including Tim. I'm sure no harm was intended.

You can view the speech here:

I see no reason for anyone to be offended, especially if you know anything about Tim... he's always just going for a laugh, that's all. The problem was that his jokes just weren't funny. Even going back and replaying the video I can't understand half of what he was saying. "The reproductively inactive workers are able to become reproductive again." Wha...? "Why did the GamerGater cut off her sister's Jurrasic Jimmy?" Uh... what? Is that what he said? I don't even...

Whenever a comedian makes jokes that are even a little bit controversial, that controversy seems to be greatly magnified when the jokes aren't funny. Because people weren't laughing, so it comes across like the audience was offended by his comments, when really they were quiet because they just had no idea what the heck he was saying.

You know what parts of GDC were hilarious, though, and way more worth watching than this joke:

1) Tim's jokes about narratives and Telltale's Hamlet.

2) Mega64's video for Sakaguchi's lifetime achievement award <--- Falling out of my chair. Week made.

Compassion is how healing begins.

Patience is how healing begins.

Mockery is not a form of healing.

Why do so many who were abused sometimes become abusers themselves?

These things are often cyclical.

Do you care to understand why other people hurt?

Or do you just want to hurt them back for the hurt that you think they are causing or to balance out a hurt that was done to you in the past?

I'm done with this thread too. I wish you well.

Heh, heh. I have tried to understand what the whole "Gamergate" thing is (really stupid name, by the way), and I'm completely baffeled every time I read any article describing what's going on. I have NO idea at all.

Anyhow, it seems silly to be enraged by a joke, no matter what "Gamergate" is.

Gatergoobers can't distinguish between poking fun at someone and abusing, harrassing someone. Surprise! They must come from such a well sheltered background that they never experienced what true discrimination is like.

Okay, I'm not saying anything smart here, and Justin told everyone to stop talking about it. I'll try. Again. Sorry.

Meanwhile, on the Steam Broken Age forums someone asks how to get rid of Broken Age from the Steam library, since to them it's an eye sore after Tim's GDC speech. Gatorgoobers showed up en masse. And I was there with them all alone. :(

What an abandoned cesspool those forums are.

Meanwhile, on the Steam Broken Age forums someone asks how to get rid of Broken Age from the Steam library, since to them it's an eye sore after Tim's GDC speech.

Unfortunately, I think Tim's jokes weren't exactly the best way to avoid all this.

You can view the speech here:

I see no reason for anyone to be offended, especially if you know anything about Tim... he's always just going for a laugh, that's all. The problem was that his jokes just weren't funny. Even going back and replaying the video I can't understand half of what he was saying. "The reproductively inactive workers are able to become reproductive again." Wha...? "Why did the GamerGater cut off her sister's Jurrasic Jimmy?" Uh... what? Is that what he said? I don't even...

Whenever a comedian makes jokes that are even a little bit controversial, that controversy seems to be greatly magnified when the jokes aren't funny. Because people weren't laughing, so it comes across like the audience was offended by his comments, when really they were quiet because they just had no idea what the heck he was saying.

Yep. It was a joke about this: Gamergate Ant About as uncontroversial as you can get. (Thoracic gemmae, not Jurassic Jimmy)

Tim's delivery killed many a great joke, though. No room for stuttering and nerves when you're the host. The ant joke could have worked told with better pacing and and more confidence -- if we could have clearly heard that he was saying something we didn't understand (eg. thoracic gemmae), it would have been clearer what the joke was, rather than most of the audience wondering to themselves if they'd misheard what he'd said. (Sorry Tim!)

I think the gamergate ant joke was pretty esoteric and only some people were going to get it regardless of whether he stuttered or not. ^^;

Silly f*cking controversy, brought up and kept alive by a group that's angry for the sake of being angry. Whether a person like the joke or not is like all jokes a matter of taste, but anyone arguing that a person like Tim Schafer tried to do something out of malice with it, are just sad.

Pretty happy that most thing related to GDC has been awesome news though, with VR, Steam Controller, free game engines and awesome games have been shown and talked about. That's much much more interesting, and shows that you will find so many great things following the games market if you just ignore the angry people.

I do hope that it will be possible to watch the Massive Chalice talk by Mr MooEar somewhere.