Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
youn

What happened at GDC 2015?

Tim used GamerGate to get attention basically, it turned that GDC showing into barely news, into major news on Twitter, etc, was even top trending for hours, a lot of it was negative and hate, but hey, hateful negative attention is better than no attention!

Tim used GamerGate to get attention basically, it turned that GDC showing into barely news, into major news on Twitter, etc, was even top trending for hours, a lot of it was negative and hate, but hey, hateful negative attention is better than no attention!

I think he just made a joke on a topical issue. He's the host. Why would he have to seek attention? He has all of it.

I think he just made a joke on a topical issue. He's the host. Why would he have to seek attention? He has all of it.

Well truth be told, I didn't even know Tim was at GDC until all this blew up! :P

Well truth be told, I didn't even know Tim was at GDC until all this blew up! :P

Oh! He's actually hosted it multiple times. This is not the first time he's been invited to host and encouraged to make jokes in front of an audience. That's why DF made the "hostmaster" game on the site. =]

I don't follow a lot of gaming sites anymore, but it was at least announced on Gamasutra that he would be returning as host.

Silly f*cking controversy, brought up and kept alive by a group that's angry for the sake of being angry. Whether a person like the joke or not is like all jokes a matter of taste, but anyone arguing that a person like Tim Schafer tried to do something out of malice with it, are just sad.

This whole thing reminded me of Penn & Teller's suggestion for insensitivity training:

I have so much to say about this GG and co. mess, but it comes all at once in my mind when i think about it..

So i try to get it out piece by piece.

First of all im on nobodys side here. Tim made a joke and like every joke some got it, other didnt got it and the rest got it half. Done..

I try to explain my opinion about GG and Co. with a story:

Someone tells a joke in the internet, it is more or less public. A joke about the shoes that some people wear. Lets say its about shoes that have the colors red, green and blue all at once (unisex). One guy who wears these shoes and loves them so much he even wears them in bed, can ignor the joke.. or get insultet, or make a hashtag in twitter and rant against the guy who made the joke.

He/She will find support and the thing (hastag) will be get bigger. Suddenly someone thinks all waerers of colourfull shoes have something else in common and the comedian has insultet not only the guys and gals who like colorfull shoes (it was still just a small joke about the shoes, not the wearer, remember?) but also their sex, age, lifestile preferences, etc... and they feel insultet not only because someone told a joke about their shoes, but also because of the other "reasons"...

Oh boy, they are so angry now that they go to their friends and tell them what a horrobil person the commedian is. One of thouse friends works for a youtubechannel or tv station, something big.. he smells dirty laundry (or smelly shoes) and money by reporting about it..

There you go... more people get "insultet" or better "emotional involved".. because its not only a shoejoke anymore.. it is a racist joke, a female/male joke, a gay/straight joke.. oh boy... a politican could use this group of angry people. He could claim he wears red, green, blue shoes, he is bisexual, lives every lifestile there is, and understands thouse people that "work and live" for the Hashtag, perfectly and will make better world by... doing..... something...

I think in this mess we are right now.. but nobody gets it or can explain it to some emotional bounded people.

If you talk about it you have an opinion. If you have an opinion your are for and vs. them, they wont let you be neutral or try to show what has happened.. (yeah i have an opinion and i made it "public" im doomed... ;) )

To stay within this picture i tryed to draw: Everyone diskusses over shoes, the insultet feelings, gay/straight, who slept with whom, etc. but no body sees it as it is, a (maybe) bad joke... that became a monster.. with a nosering to be guided by thouse who know how....

By the way: Did you notice i didnt talk about what Tim has done, but only over GG and the other #Stuff?

So i do it now.

Tim: You have my respect for your bravery.

I wont talk about the joke, because im one of thouse people who got it only half, so i cant judge about it..

I only know that you could only loose, you knew it to as well, and you did it anyway.

I hope it pays out and we get more good games out of it!

Here is a link from "Ash what your playing" - Enjoy

I like her humor

OK, so quick question, where's the Tim Schafer is Racist thing coming from? That's been creeping up a lot on Twitter recently, is this related to GDC as well?

Like i wrote in my article, everyone connects something personal with thouse *hastags. Its a pile of interpretations, opinions, and even believes. Someone connects the #hashtag with coloured people. Tim says something about the #hastag - bamm racist joke..

Here a like to Angry Joes most Controveries 2014- he has something to say about GG, very sophisticated i think - around Minute 30 it starts

OK, so quick question, where's the Tim Schafer is Racist thing coming from? That's been creeping up a lot on Twitter recently, is this related to GDC as well?

This is the

. The defenders claim it was just an innocent wordplay on piece of armor and shield, while attackers claim that, since the joke was delivered through a sockpuppet, which is an internet slang term for duplicate/fake accounts, Schafer was implying Gamergate's minorities in #NotYourShield are non existent, hence being racist by erasure.

it's not really about the joke, its about his vocal political stance.

i don't want to discuss gamergate as i'm not suporting it but i'm strongly against femreq's vision of how an art form form should be treated.

I hate seeing the same stereotipical characters over and over again but bad writing shouldnt be a problem about sexism.

I hate the dispute that it implies that if i dont consider femreq's critique to be just or valuable to equality, i should be labeled as sexist, why?

Why? I think of myself as an extreme advocate of equality, is it so hard to see that this position is extremely aggressive and one-sided?

I respect Tim's voice, but i'm not a sexist

but bad writing shouldnt be a problem about sexism.

Bad writing and sexism aren't mutually exclusive, though.

it's not really about the joke, its about his vocal political stance.

i don't want to discuss gamergate as i'm not suporting it but i'm strongly against femreq's vision of how an art form form should be treated.

I hate seeing the same stereotipical characters over and over again but bad writing shouldnt be a problem about sexism.

I hate the dispute that it implies that if i dont consider femreq's critique to be just or valuable to equality, i should be labeled as sexist, why?

Why? I think of myself as an extreme advocate of equality, is it so hard to see that this position is extremely aggressive and one-sided?

I respect Tim's voice, but i'm not a sexist

Okay, let's talk about sexism, and any -ism for a minute. I'm willing to believe that you are someone who genuinely believes in equality, etc.

Equally, though, it should be acknowledged that not all sexism is of the highly visible kind, and not all sexism is deliberate. Arguably, the majority of it isn't, which is why it's all the more important to draw attention to it.

Like the recent study, I forget where from, which looked at people's behaviours during meetings and found that women were much more likely to find themselves interrupted at work meetings.

The conclusion of that study isn't 'and therefore these men are thinking, "my opinion is worth more than a woman's" so I shall interrupt'. It's far more likely that this is a learned behaviour. We are taught, in subtle ways, by the media to value a man's opinion in business than a woman's so even if a man say 'well that's ridiculous, and I don't believe that' and genuinely values women's opinions in business, he may STILL find himself interrupting more than men, because these sorts of behaviour operate on a deeper level.

So, you don't have to be a bad person in order to act, in small ways (what some call 'microagressions') in a way that helps perpetuate inequality. And it's everyone's job who is interested in equality to examine their own behavior.

That's point 1 - sexism isn't necessarily a conscious, outward, big agressive thing. It happens in many smaller ways, all the time.

Next, on Anita's videos specifically. I don't know what you mean about the videos being one sided. The point of the videos is to examine sexist tropes in games from a feminist lens. It isn't to examine all tropes, including not sexist ones. It also isn't sexism 101 i.e. it's not trying to prove sexism is a real issue before going into its critique. It's 'here's some tropes that come up regularly in games, and here are some examples of that in action.' It's remarkably uncontroversial stuff, really.

And, also, by pointing out these tropes, she is never trying to out the designers or developers or players of these games as sexists or bad people. As she points out at the top of each and every video, it's still possible to enjoy media while drawing attention to its more problematic aspects. Many games have been given as examples, including some of Tim's, and games by people who are absolutely on Anita's side on these issues. It's not a witch hunt, it's just some examples.

And sure, you might pick on particular examples and say 'well this one doesn't really work because ' and maybe you'd have a point in some cases, but the point isn't those isolated examples. They're just examples. The point is that these tropes are very, very common. Like I said, really not controversial stuff - if people think Anita's videos are a harsh, disproportionate feminist critique, I can't help but feel they might be a little naive.

Finally, even though it's outside the remit of the videos, really, Anita DOES in fact take some time out in some of the videos to draw attention to good examples of female representations in games - the ones that play with these tropes and flip them on their head - like the ending of the first Monkey Island game where it turns out that Guybrush's attempts to rescue Elaine have in fact made things worse as a nice subversion of the damsel-in-distress thing, and so forth. She's not saying that good examples don't exist, or even that All Games Must Avoid These Things - merely that right now the bad examples are extremely common.

One last thing - EVERY artform except for games, pretty much, is subjected to far deeper and harsher social critique than games ever have been. This should be seen not as a challenge to the artform (even if you disagree with the critique!) but a badge of honour. It means that the medium is growing up, that it's able to take a bit more examination than can be captured in a consumer-oriented review, or whatever. There's a reason that creators of games, the people actually making them aren't up in arms, complaining about how people like Anita are trying to stifle their creative freedom. It's because it's not true. The only people who are fretting over this don't really seem to have a very sensible idea of how the creative process actually works.

Okay, let's talk about sexism, and any -ism for a minute. I'm willing to believe that you are someone who genuinely believes in equality, etc.

Equally, though, it should be acknowledged that not all sexism is of the highly visible kind, and not all sexism is deliberate. Arguably, the majority of it isn't, which is why it's all the more important to draw attention to it.

Like the recent study, I forget where from, which looked at people's behaviours during meetings and found that women were much more likely to find themselves interrupted at work meetings.

The conclusion of that study isn't 'and therefore these men are thinking, "my opinion is worth more than a woman's" so I shall interrupt'. It's far more likely that this is a learned behaviour. We are taught, in subtle ways, by the media to value a man's opinion in business than a woman's so even if a man say 'well that's ridiculous, and I don't believe that' and genuinely values women's opinions in business, he may STILL find himself interrupting more than men, because these sorts of behaviour operate on a deeper level.

So, you don't have to be a bad person in order to act, in small ways (what some call 'microagressions') in a way that helps perpetuate inequality. And it's everyone's job who is interested in equality to examine their own behavior.

That's point 1 - sexism isn't necessarily a conscious, outward, big agressive thing. It happens in many smaller ways, all the time.

As i can't validate my statement that i'm not sexist, simply because i said so on the internet, i can undersdand that you can think of me as an unconcious sexist.

But saying everyone but us is unaware of their privilige is even bolder presumption.

Next, on Anita's videos specifically. I don't know what you mean about the videos being one sided. The point of the videos is to examine sexist tropes in games from a feminist lens. It isn't to examine all tropes, including not sexist ones. It also isn't sexism 101 i.e. it's not trying to prove sexism is a real issue before going into its critique. It's 'here's some tropes that come up regularly in games, and here are some examples of that in action.' It's remarkably uncontroversial stuff, really.

...there are enough videos and text in the web which disect and analyze the channel, far better than i can do it with my bad grammar and my limited foreign vocabulary.

I don't know what you mean about the videos being one sided.

i didn't want to enter those exact gamergate disputes because they are so nitpicking and people like to bash about it

but as a male i also dont feel that i'm properly represented as a gender in many games.

And, also, by pointing out these tropes, she is never trying to out the designers or developers or players of these games as sexists or bad people. As she points out at the top of each and every video, it's still possible to enjoy media while drawing attention to its more problematic aspects. Many games have been given as examples, including some of Tim's, and games by people who are absolutely on Anita's side on these issues. It's not a witch hunt, it's just some examples.

this is what i meant when i said aggresive. Maybe its subjective, maybe you really didn't found the videos developer and artist shaming. But i know i did. If they weren't there wouldn't be such distant and harsh sides on both end.

And sure, you might pick on particular examples and say 'well this one doesn't really work because ' and maybe you'd have a point in some cases, but the point isn't those isolated examples. They're just examples. The point is that these tropes are very, very common. Like I said, really not controversial stuff - if people think Anita's videos are a harsh, disproportionate feminist critique, I can't help but feel they might be a little naive.

it's hard for me when someone disregards my oppinion when i try to present it as honestly as i can, but we can't all be the same.

Finally, even though it's outside the remit of the videos, really, Anita DOES in fact take some time out in some of the videos to draw attention to good examples of female representations in games - the ones that play with these tropes and flip them on their head - like the ending of the first Monkey Island game where it turns out that Guybrush's attempts to rescue Elaine have in fact made things worse as a nice subversion of the damsel-in-distress thing, and so forth. She's not saying that good examples don't exist, or even that All Games Must Avoid These Things - merely that right now the bad examples are extremely common.

and you don't think that's a problem, that she can basicly manipulate the narrative to give it a femreq + or a femreq -, depending if the deveoper supports her cause or not.

One last thing - EVERY artform except for games, pretty much, is subjected to far deeper and harsher social critique than games ever have been. This should be seen not as a challenge to the artform (even if you disagree with the critique!) but a badge of honour. It means that the medium is growing up, that it's able to take a bit more examination than can be captured in a consumer-oriented review, or whatever. There's a reason that creators of games, the people actually making them aren't up in arms, complaining about how people like Anita are trying to stifle their creative freedom. It's because it's not true. The only people who are fretting over this don't really seem to have a very sensible idea of how the creative process actually works.
i dont agree at all, with that whole statement.

but bad writing shouldnt be a problem about sexism.

Bad writing and sexism aren't mutually exclusive, though.

it's true and i'm sorry that it isn't the other way

edit: i'll try not responing anymore, cos i dont need a gamergate discussion in my life, it's extremely emotionally exhausting. Aha, well.. bye

As i can't validate my statement that i'm not sexist, simply because i said so on the internet, i can undersdand that you can think of me as an unconcious sexist.

But saying everyone but us is unaware of their privilige is even bolder presumption.

I don't think I said that? There are certainly times when I notice that I'm, say, more inclined to tease a woman on my team at work than the men (even though it's not really like flirting because as a gay guy I'd have nothing to gain from that). All I was really saying here is that it takes effort to recognise ones own unconscious biases, and everyone has them, no exceptions, not you, and not me. They're learned behaviour, learned from the people around us, but also from the media we consume.

this is what i meant when i said aggresive. Maybe its subjective, maybe you really didn't found the videos developer and artist shaming. But i know i did. If they weren't there wouldn't be such distant and harsh sides on both end.

But luckily we don't need to guess about this. Whenever a creator is directly confronted about some criticism that comes up in one of their videos, they don't act like people who have been shamed by this:

There's this, which I already brushed on:

dev1.PNG

And here's Derek Yu in response to people getting offended on his behalf about her critique of Spelunky.

https://storify.com/metasynthie/reasonable-responses-to-the-unreasonable-derek-yu

And here's the Saints Row creative director:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/1/6094019/saints-row-sarkeesian-tropes-vs-women-volition

People are getting annoyed about Anita on the developer's behalf, but actually, what developers are saying is that they WANT to hear about it when something they've made might be unintentially hurtful, so that they can use that perspective going forward. They don't say they feel stifled or victimized by this critique.

So why are you turning them into victims?

and you don't think that's a problem, that she can basicly manipulate the narrative to give it a femreq + or a femreq -, depending if the deveoper supports her cause or not.

??

This is incoherent. She gives good examples and bad, depending on what she finds when researching games for her videos. She focuses on the bad examples because they're a) very common and b) what the series is actually about. What's it got to do with whether a developer supports her cause or not (incidentally, she praised Monkey Island LONG before GG, and long before Tim had made any public statements about sexism)

i dont agree at all, with that whole statement.

Then I don't know what to tell you, because it's true. See above.

In what I perceive as WAY more interesting GDC2015/Double Fine news:

Anna presented dialog systems in Broken Age

Ray presented animation style and process in Broken Age

Oliver presented mobile devices as development platform for Broken Age

Brad presented Permadeath, Aging and Marriage: The Bloodline System of Massive Chalice

Brandon presented Making It to Break It: Designing Hack 'n' Slash

Greg presented Indie Publishing: A Whole New World

and of course, there's the alums and the collaborators:

Drew Skillman participated in three days of Visual Effects Roundtables

Jane Ng presented The Art of Firewatch

Peter McConnell presented Audio Bootcamp : Déjà vu All Over Again? What We Can Learn from "Classic" Game Music

There's a lot of seriously cool back-end tech that Double Fine has created for their crowdfunded projects that will help future game development for sure. I hope each of these talks get posted on GDC Vault.

Oliver's talk on mobile development is probably a must-watch:

We quickly realized, however, that iterating on a mobile application with more than 1 GB of game assets is quite challenging, since it can take up to 20 minutes to update and reboot an app after a code or data change. This talk describes in detail how we reduced the turnaround time on iOS and Android to an average of 40 seconds.

It's great that DF get to present so much at GDC just because it's so easy for them to get to. I'm interested in every one of those, some of which I didn't know about like Ray or Brandon or Peter McConnell. That's going to be a pretty sweet GDC vault in a couple of weeks!

Do I have permission to reply to this?
I'd rather you didn't - we all know how it'd end.

Also, you're bumping another topic, since the last post was weeks ago. That's really frowned upon in most forums.