Sign in to follow this  
FAAF

Loom - The Sequel

Hello Double Fine, hello Backers, i just read this artikel on pcgamer.com

http://www.pcgamer.com/loom-postmortem-the-history-of-an-underappreciated-gem-25-years-later/

Loom was the first PC Game i ever bought, I played it at least 15 times through in my entire life.

And every time i wonder what will happen next…. but there isnt a loom 2 or anything that would complete the story.

The IP should lay in the claws of a certain mouse right now, for whom Double Fine just rereleased Grim Fandango (playing it right now, loving it, great work!)

If there would be a Loom 2 Kickstart Projekt and Mr. Brian Moriarty would lead the story and projekt, i would be totally giving it a LOT of money!

How about you guys and gals out there, would you be with me?

Tim, can it happen?

Please say yes!!

You should ask Brian Moriarty! It'd be great if we got a sequel.

Read the atricle, he himself has "more or less" offered it to Double Fine :)

One really interesting thing about Loom is it's length. It's mentioned in the article, but the game is rarely, or even never, criticized for it. And when I bought it on Steam, and beat it for the first time, I did it in just over 4h. The same time it took for me to get through Broken Age: Act 1.

It's a fiver now, but I don't think the length of the game has ever been discussed as something negative about it. Was it an issue at release?

I seem to recall reading a lot of reactions along the lines of "It's surprisingly short... but it's good enough that I guess I don't mind."

Loom was easy and short but beautiful due to the mood, the EGA gfx and the magic melodies/interface.

@music in games, these were fun too:

:

I always thought that the influence of music and the bard (melodies, instruments, ...) in the Bard's Tale could have been more.

I'm probably in a minority wanting to see his version of The Dig, oh well.

I always liked Loom more in concept than I did in practice. The idea of everything being spells was interesting, but a bit underused, I thought. Great for its time, but I don't go back to it much. But I love the idea of a sequel, just because I feel like now people could do really creative stuff with that mechanic.

Oh guys/gals maybe its because its my first bought game ever. But i dont look at the lenght, i dont look at the musik/puzzle concept.

When i see Loom, i see the phantasy. I didnt only solve a puzzle to get further, i explored this mysterious island. Why cant i see the face of the persons i interact with.

Whoa there is a giant loom. Look the strings shimmer in all the colours there are in this world (16).

Did that person just transform into an egg and then be reborn as a talking duck? Did she just rip appart space and time itself and vanished into another plane of existence.. How cool is that.. and thouse where the first 20 Minutes if u didnt explore to much.

There is so much fantasy and creativity in this game. How often, in a game, the protagonist walks to the grave of his/her mother and get advice there?

What happens if i use the Open-Spell the grave of my mother, i mean... this duck was a former human, maybe i can.. "kinda" summon her back, so i can talk to her.

Damn i tamed a whirlwind, fought a dragon and trancended into the plain of the dead without dying, and fought a god of chaos. This game is awesome in its creativity/story and art.

I think it would be best produced with the people from Double Fine because i dont think the would temper with the given world. And Tim loves Art and creativity.

Broken Age wouldnt have been made and looked the way it does now, if he wouldnt stand up for what he loves. (yeah maybe i overinterpret his actions and decisions, but i have a good feeling/trust in him)

By the way, you can buy and PLAY Loom at Steam :)

This thread reminds me that I really should replay 'Loom'. It's been absolutely years since my last (and only) playthrough. I remember really enjoying the experience and the rather unique gameplay. The game's length was never an issue for me either; it's short but sweet. Besides, I'm used to making the most of short things, thanks to the french fry that is my junk!

I recall there being some key differences between the various versions of the game. With each version having it's pros and cons. For example, the DOS CD-ROM edition featured full voice acting but came at the cost of a chunk of dialogue and close-ups from the other versions.

Also, for those who don't already know, there's an audio drama that came on tape with the original release. It acts as a prequel to the events of the game. Essentially it's an intro sequence and should be listened to, prior to playing...

GkI5Ua__Lvg

It'd be great if we got a sequel.

Yes! Please someone make it happen. For years it seemed highly unlikely that we would every see a LOOM sequel (and the game does need one, albeit it is quite excellent on its own). And today, Mr. Moriarty says he is open to the idea and mentions developer studios, including Double Fine! These are apparently crazy times! But it seems that these last few years would be as good as any for a revival of an old adventure gem.

And pardon my expression but I would fund the crap out of a possible LOOM 2 kickstarter campaign.

(* I do have to mention that out of all the fan made attempts at LOOM sequels, the most recent "Forge" one is most definitely the best, and even though they mention problems with the development, I would like and wish them to finish their project on their own time)

Edit: Ideally GOG or Steam will get their hands on the original LOOM PC version. The CD talkie currently on Steam has the voiceovers, but it did some terrible things to the dialogue and the characters (mostly cut or shortcut dialogues) and I am not too fond of the extra animations it added either.

Wadjet Eye won't be making a LOOM sequel due to too much legal red tape around the series, but that doesn't rule out a collaboration with Moriarty on something else.

If you can afford to wait/develop till VR-devices will have passed the dev/early adopter prototypes stages, a reasonable amount of them will be available and sold to happy consumers too, you could make a new Loom (or any kind of new adventure experience which suits, preferable third person, kind of an iso/limited scene approach but with a free cam) with a great reduced stylised representation for VR. This could feel awesome and fresh, like 2D point & click adventures used to be (not dissing 2D, just saying). Could work in ordinary 3D as well but the kicker is VR.

Furthermore imagine if such an adventure wouldn't only spend its resources on VR/3D/art but there would be good writing, puzzles and stuff out of the box too. With the right tools, mindset, talent and resources/partners this could be fun.