Sign in to follow this  
Levering_2pp

Sidequests to be included in the DFA Digital Bundle

There has been a great deal of demand for downloadable Sidequest videos to be included in the Double Fine Adventure release, and I can confirm that we're going to add them soon. These will also be in 1080p, an improvement over the 720p posts from the forums.

It's unlikely we'll be able to feature them on the disc release due to size constraints. I'm looking at something like 4 1/2 hours of content as it is right now, so this will probably have to be limited to the digital release.

No problem about them not being on the disc, as that's completely understandable. It's really great that they'll be included in the digital bundle though. :)

Sounds like an idea.

Thought - if the disc versions come with a manual, would it be possible to include a link to the videos in it?

Sounds like an idea.

Thought - if the disc versions come with a manual, would it be possible to include a link to the videos in it?

The disc version will come with a VHX code so you can have access to all that content as well.

Will the disc version be made available for purchase on the Fangamer/DF store in the future?

I just got the VHX email with the update of all the Sidequests in downloadable 1080p format.

While of course it's not the same as being on the physical disc and at that size, it'd be many DVDs to create hardcopies... there are so many other storage options that also allow one to view digital content via larger screens these days that I'm perfectly happy.

This is awesome. To be honest with all this great content that you've put out I couldn't imagine how it could all be put on discs. This is a perfectly reasonable solution. It's especially nice to get the files in 1080P so that should I have the desire to do so I could make my own set. Thanks for giving us more than I think anyone expected.

One question. There are some sidequests missing. Will they be showing up later or did they not make the cut?

Here's a list of the ones I noticed being absent, it may not be complete.

My Father Told Me It Would Be Like This (Tim Schafer)

I’m Such a F@#$in’ Genius (Tim Schafer)

I Think It’s Ok That I’m Still Here (Ray Crook)

Look, the Clocks… (Dave Gardner)

What I Wish I Could Have Done Then (Peter McConnell)

These were posted as Sidequests but are also the Tim Plays segments. Maybe they don't count.

It’s All Coming Back to Me (Tim Schafer)

Put Your Lips on That (Tim Schafer)

Maybe We Were Geniuses (Tim Schafer)

Also, one Sidequest in the list has a slight mistake.

It shows up on VHX as Sidequest // Brandon Dillon "There Could Possibly Be Some Legal Issues"

The title in the video itself is "There Are Potentially Some Legal Issues"

Figured I'd mention it.

JimmyStewart: I'd assume that three out of those four Schaefer's will not be posted as they were basically Tim playing games. Fun and all but in the end not even actual SideQuests.

That first one though... I didn't even notice was missing. Tim's story especially with it showing his original Lucasarts pitch much like the pitch that got Majus his internship is essential!

JimmyStewart: I'd assume that three out of those four Schaefer's will not be posted as they were basically Tim playing games. Fun and all but in the end not even actual SideQuests.

That first one though... I didn't even notice was missing. Tim's story especially with it showing his original Lucasarts pitch much like the pitch that got Majus his internship is essential!

Ha! I was just updating my post to reflect this. I realized that although they were posted as Sidequests and called Sidequests on their respective title screens that these might not count. I think I did a better job making this clear in my update.

And I certainly agree, though I enjoyed the other videos as well. I especially enjoyed Dave Gardner's SQ.

Two discs...? :-)

This, though now that we get downloads we can always make are own.

Will the disc version be made available for purchase on the Fangamer/DF store in the future?
We're going to print some extras, sure. You get a better bulk rate the more you do, so it's going to be whatever number fits in the budget and gets us the best per-item price.

This is awesome. To be honest with all this great content that you've put out I couldn't imagine how it could all be put on discs. This is a perfectly reasonable solution. It's especially nice to get the files in 1080P so that should I have the desire to do so I could make my own set. Thanks for giving us more than I think anyone expected.

One question. There are some sidequests missing. Will they be showing up later or did they not make the cut?

Here's a list of the ones I noticed being absent, it may not be complete.

My Father Told Me It Would Be Like This (Tim Schafer)

I’m Such a F@#$in’ Genius (Tim Schafer)

I Think It’s Ok That I’m Still Here (Ray Cook)

Look, the Clocks… (Dave Gardner)

These were posted as Sidequests but are also the Tim Plays segments. Maybe they don't count.

It’s All Coming Back to Me (Tim Schafer)

Put Your Lips on That (Tim Schafer)

Maybe We Were Geniuses (Tim Schafer)

Also, one Sidequest in the list has a slight mistake.

It shows up on VHX as Sidequest // Brandon Dillon "There Could Possibly Be Some Legal Issues"

The title in the video itself is "There Are Potentially Some Legal Issues"

Figured I'd mention it.

Fixed that.

We're in the process of hooking up old drives and getting the projects open again. This batch just happened to be the ones we found first. The only ones that we can't post are going to be Tim's playthrough videos. Those are really pushing against the bounds of fair use and we really rather not risk it.

Will Sidequests be available to backers for download on the Humble Bundle page also (next to DFA episodes) or is this only on VHX?

Fixed that.

We're in the process of hooking up old drives and getting the projects open again. This batch just happened to be the ones we found first. The only ones that we can't post are going to be Tim's playthrough videos. Those are really pushing against the bounds of fair use and we really rather not risk it.

Ah, I see. That's wonderful news. Sad about the Tim Plays videos but once again it's entirely understandable. Thanks for responding! I'll be looking forward to the rest of the videos when they pop up... so that I can complete my collection!!! Mwahahahaha!!! (I'm not really sure if an evil laugh was necessary but it just felt right)

Will Sidequests be available to backers for download on the Humble Bundle page also (next to DFA episodes) or is this only on VHX?
They just have to set up over there. It takes a lot longer to get videos on the humble page since more exports have to be done, the videos have to get ftp'd, and someone and humble has to add them to directory.

They just have to set up over there. It takes a lot longer to get videos on the humble page since more exports have to be done, the videos have to get ftp'd, and someone and humble has to add them to directory.
I saw that VHX won't, but will Humble have a torrent? Otherwise I will have to try and figure out how to schedule them with curl and hope it doesn't fail. :( Which I am able to do, but it's rather inconvenient seeing as humble already runs a torrent tracker for game downloads.

I saw that VHX won't, but will Humble have a torrent? Otherwise I will have to try and figure out how to schedule them with curl and hope it doesn't fail. :( Which I am able to do, but it's rather inconvenient seeing as humble already runs a torrent tracker for game downloads.
We're reaching out to Humble about it tomorrow.

Did Greg ever get a sidequest? I don't recall seeing one but I'd be surprised if he didn't have one due to his role at DF. A quick forum search isn't yielding results.

Did Greg ever get a sidequest? I don't recall seeing one but I'd be surprised if he didn't have one due to his role at DF. A quick forum search isn't yielding results.

From the documentary I think his role is Tim Wrangler Extraordinaire!

Of the 16 released so far, no; Greg has not yet gotten one.

These are all the sidequests to my knowledge:

# Tim Schafer // My Father Told Me It Would Be Like This // 2012-05-11

# Tim Schafer // It’s All Coming Back to Me // 2012-06-27

# Tim Schafer // I’m Such a F@#$in’ Genius // 2012-06-27

# Lee Petty // I Was a Very Pleasant Baby // 2012-08-08

# Anna Kipnis // I Got My Dream Job // 2012-09-19

# Tim Schafer // Put Your Lips on That // 2012-10-26

# Ray Crook // I Think It's Ok That I'm Still Here // 2013-02-08

# Brandon Dillon // There Are Potentially Some Legal Issues // 2013-02-08

# JP LeBreton // You Don't Step in The Same River Twice // 2013-04-16

# Oliver Franzke // I Would Have Absolutely Laughed // 2013-05-22

# Dave Gardner // Look, the Clocks... // 2013-08-30

# Peter McConnell // What I Wish I Could Have Done Then... // 2013-11-01

# Khris Brown // The Purity of Your Intent // 2014-02-12

# Camden Stoddard // The Weight of Sound // 2014-05-30

# Justin Bailey // My Seat Only Goes Back So Far // 2014-07-09

# Ben Peck // It's Not Like This Every Day // 2014-10-16

I have a few questions.

What codec will they use?

What container will they be in?

I know MP4 has better compatibility with other devices, but MKV has better subtitle and multi-track audio support (which would be good for commentary tracks, if there is one)

Also it would be nice to have multiple choices of quality (SD, 720p, 1080p), so people don't have to blow all their bandwidth unless they want to

I also have a bit of a random question on the downloads for episode 17 and 18 on the humblestore I noticed they are in .mov format is there any reason why they are not in MP4?

I also have a bit of a random question on the downloads for episode 17 and 18 on the humblestore I noticed they are in .mov format is there any reason why they are not in MP4?

It doesn't really answer your question, but all of the videos on VHX are in MP4.

It doesn't really answer your question, but all of the videos on VHX are in MP4.

All of the VHX videos are of lesser quality than the ones distributed on Humble. Compare the size of episode 1 at 720p on Humble versus the same episode/resolution on VHX--the Humble videos have about 3 to 4 times the frame data!

All of the VHX videos are of lesser quality than the ones distributed on Humble. Compare the size of episode 1 at 720p on Humble versus the same episode/resolution on VHX--the Humble videos have about 3 to 4 times the frame data!

Yeah exactly my point

Ah, no idea it was a quality issue. It sounded like a format preference. Very perceptive!

Just curious, how does one compare frame data? 3 to 4 times sounds super impressive, but having watched from both sources on a big screen I would've had no idea. Then again I'm terrible at that. I can't tell the difference between Netflix in HD and a Bluray but I'm told the difference is massive. Maybe I need some glasses! :)

Ah, no idea it was a quality issue. It sounded like a format preference. Very perceptive!

Just curious, how does one compare frame data? 3 to 4 times sounds super impressive, but having watched from both sources on a big screen I would've had no idea. Then again I'm terrible at that. I can't tell the difference between Netflix in HD and a Bluray but I'm told the difference is massive. Maybe I need some glasses! :)

Well, the biggest signal is that the Humble videos (At least the few I compared) are about 3 to 4 times as large as the VHX versions. As for the actual quality, I found out by comparing the videos side-by-side. I opened the 720p episode 1 from both sources in separate copies of VLC. If you go to about 0:59, you should see a hand holding a camera shutter control. If you switch back and forth between the two, you will see the hand in the Humble version has significantly more detail, while the VHX copy looks a tad blurred or smudged.

Sign in to follow this