Sign in to follow this  
Levering_2pp

Sidequests to be included in the DFA Digital Bundle

Well, the biggest signal is that the Humble videos (At least the few I compared) are about 3 to 4 times as large as the VHX versions. As for the actual quality, I found out by comparing the videos side-by-side. I opened the 720p episode 1 from both sources in separate copies of VLC. If you go to about 0:59, you should see a hand holding a camera shutter control. If you switch back and forth between the two, you will see the hand in the Humble version has significantly more detail, while the VHX copy looks a tad blurred or smudged.

Oh okay. So if I'm understanding correctly you didn't mean frame data in a specific way, more of a logical assumption based on file size. I'm used to never taking file size at face value as you can have a massive file that's of significantly lower quality. It can depend on sources and how the files are encoded for example. I was hoping there was some sort of definitive way to check that the file was objectively better. Frame data sounded much more specific than file size.

That said, I believe you. I'm going to compare them side by side now just to see for myself (still downloading, it is massive!). Kind of a waste of bandwidth but I'm curious at this point. It makes sense that a file three times smaller might be a bit blurrier. It's a bit of a non-issue for me. I'm getting the Blu-Ray version and the HumbleBundle downloads don't include the SideQuests (at least yet). If/When they do I'm probably going to need a bigger hard drive with those file sizes!

---

Edit, just got done comparing them on a smaller PC screen with the 1080p versions. Comparing them side by side I do notice a slight difference. When testing myself I could always identify the version I thought looked clearer and it was always the larger HumbleBundle file. The VHX copies looked great and I don't think it's anything I would've noticed unless I was comparing them paused and side by side. I can see though how if you were archiving this and you had the HDD space to spare a person would certainly opt for the HumbleBundle files. It's now what I'm going to do for the SideQuests. So thanks for the heads up! Just when I thought I was becoming less anal retentive... along comes this. :)

What is VHX?

Anyways, wasn't there a Sidequest with Peter Chan? I remember seeing a video where we got to see him work in his secluded cottage.

But I don't see it on any of your lists.

edit:

never mind, it was not a sidequest, but Episode 04 of the documentary series.

I still don't know what VHX is though. Is like a VHS version of THX? :P

Go to your Broken Age humblebundle page to get a link with a VHX code that will create you an account on https://www.vhx.tv/. It is a video distribution platform.

All right, cheers. I find it very confusing, with the way Humble Bundle works.. with all these criss-crossing links going left to right.. and then you have the "un-claimed purchases" section.. that took me a while to even know was there. But having backed a few games now, I know. :P

never mind, it was not a sidequest, but Episode 04 of the documentary series.

Actually, there was an extended cut of the Peter Chan segment of the episode which was released separately. The post is here: http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/7577/ and the Vimeo link seems to be working still. Would be nice to have it in the VHX library as well though.

It would be a pity to have the sidequests as external downloads, instead of being part of the documentary "jewel case". I wouldn't mind making an extra $ effort for them being properly added.

Plus, I have a few questions for 2PP ...

How many discs are planned? DVD/Bluray? Region free? We will be asked for which version we want or deliver both?

Are you going to pack every episode or make one single edited documentary?

Obviously I would prefer to have everything that has been published on disc when I open my box, not a cutted version nor to have a code to use on any website (that could cease to exists in the future). It seems there will be 20 episodes. So for around 20 hours of documentary at 21 Mbps and 50GB bluray you could make it with 4 discs (let it be 5 discs and add the sidequests :P or put them at 720p). There is about no "action" in there... on VBR it should compress really well ^_^

So, (bitrate calculator at hand xDDD) please think about it :)

This is great news! Really enjoyed these Sidequest videos and glad that we'll be getting copies of them as well.

Not sure what's going on but apparently the missing SIDEQUEST episodes are still not on VHX? Any word?

They're going after the rest of the doc is completed to my understanding.

Not sure what's going on but apparently the missing SIDEQUEST episodes are still not on VHX? Any word?

They're going after the rest of the doc is completed to my understanding.

This is correct.

Sign in to follow this