Sign in to follow this  
KestrelPi

To the release speculation dome

Episode 5 of the documentary came out today. The tue/thursday release schedule means

Ep 6 March 12th

Ep 7 March 17th

Ep 8 March 19th

Ep 9 March 24th

Ep 10 March 26th

Ep 11 March 31st

Ep 12 April 2nd

Ep 13 April 7th

Ep 14 April 9th

Ep 15 April 14th

Ep 16 April 16th

Ep 17 April 21st

Ep 18 April 23rd

My prediction is that April 28th is the release of Episode 19, along with Act 2 of Broken Age. Corroborating evidence:

* A few days ago Tim said the game ships in about a month when responding to someone on Twitter. That would also give the game time to go through certification on PS4 and Vita before it actually releases, and time for manufacturing on the retail release, and they've said before they want all these things to be simultaneous as possible.

* During the PS4/Vita announcement, the Playstation twitter account let slip that it was coming April, but we don't know where they got that month from.

* Tuesday is when games tend to come out in the US, I believe.

So. BEHOLD MY PREDICTION.

I say April 29th. If it comes out on that day or after, I beat you.
I'll take the 27th and before. That's completely fair to KestrelPi.

I have sealed my prediction in this envelope. Once the game is released, I will reveal the contents. (It is a bit crushed)

__..--''/\

_..-''_.\`| / \

\`-._ `.-'_ / \

\ ``-.(|\)`._ \

\ ,' `-. _ \

\ / _..--''

\/_..-''

Smiles

Ah so that's where I got the "Broken Age release in April" from: the Playstation twitter! I'll chalk one up with KelstrelPi on this one. April 28th!

Another bit of corroboration:

On the last episode, they were talking about how the plan would be to get it all ready to ship on PC, then ship it to the release partner for the boxed copy, who have a turnaround of about a few weeks. So this goes along with the idea that the plan is to ship to manufacture at the end of this month, ready for a simultaneous release on all platforms in April.

One thing I think MIGHT happen, is that as a nice thing for backers they might release on steam a bit early (since if I'm right, it should be basically done by the end of this month), in which case it might be that the launch for backers is a little bit earlier than for everyone else. I'm not sure if logistically they can do that, though, because it will be a free update to Broken Age on Steam, and I don't know if there's an easy way of only shipping that out to backers - it's not like it's a seperate game on Steam/etc

I doubt they'll release it early for backers, both for the reasons you mention, and because doing so last time kind of burned them. I'm fine waiting with the general non-backer peasantry until it releases if it helps with exposure!

I doubt they'll release it early for backers, both for the reasons you mention, and because doing so last time kind of burned them. I'm fine waiting with the general non-backer peasantry until it releases if it helps with exposure!

Yeah, rewatching the documentary makes it pretty clear why they haven't mentioned a backer beta for Part 2 yet -- that embargo fiasco's presumably not something Double Fine wants repeated.

Well, they could avoid that just by not doing an embargo. But there are probably logistical reasons why it would be difficult this time. Also, it'll be less useful this time - last time the beta helped with last minute compatibility fixes but most of that shouldn't be an issue for part 2.

Still, if they found a way to make it work, it wouldn't surprise me.

Not having a proper embargo in place is what allowed Digital Trends to damage the release of Act 1. The only solution is no Beta for Act 2, which is fine by me. (Or having it the night before, maybe.)

I just hope the QA is better than it was for Grim Fandango. (Sorry Vic and company.) The reviews of GFR were painful to read.

I'm afraid that I think the wider community were correct with regards to the embargo. I think Digital Trends only mistake here was in the way they went about making their embargo breaking a news story in itself.

On the face of it, an embargo works, but the problem comes that backers are just ordinary people who have put their money into the project, some of whom also happen to be games writers and so this is not the usual dynamic of a developer providing something for free, in advance, to a limited set of people with the condition it stay secret within a date. This was a situation where they had paid for it, they'd got a version that was already in what they consider "public " hands, the 90k backers, and so, to them it just didn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to wait before pulling the trigger. These weren't review copies, these were for all intents and purposes Kickstarter rewards being delivered and the receiving crowd were way too diverse to even hope to control in that way. Press would end up chatting about the game on Twitter but the press still can't say anything? I think there's a reason that the press almost unanimously saw this as a strange move, even when they agreed to go along with it. DT wasn't unusual in this sense.

Right now, they need to avoid any sniff of an embargo because it's just bad press for them with this game - right or wrong.

I assume Act 2 will have an ordinary press embargo, though, where professional reviewers get a chance to play the game before even backers, so that all of the review coverage can come out on the day of release. If no early review copies are sent out at all, it would look bad, and no reviews would be ready on release day.

I assume Act 2 will have an ordinary press embargo, though, where professional reviewers get a chance to play the game before even backers, so that all of the review coverage can come out on the day of release. If no early review copies are sent out at all, it would look bad, and no reviews would be ready on release day.

I'm sure they are not going to do an early beta again. That was so misused by the press and other things.

At the time I felt a large part of the problem with the embargo was that it was phrased as a command rather than a request, which I believe was unintentional but garnered the reaction "we haven't signed any NDAs as backers, why should we?" Whereas phrasing it more as a friendly request to hold back for a few days with an explanation as to why may have appealed more to people's 'team spirit' and certainly been better received, if perhaps ultimately hopeless.

The real issue for them, and why this time around they won't do an embargo/early release, as Justin pointed out, was that they wanted the public to have the option to buy and play the game as soon as they saw reviews, as not being able to do so potentially hurt sales.

Amazon do have an unfortunate habit of just guessing/making up release dates when they put things in their database. It could be right, but I wouldn't put money on it!

...once bought the first two books of a trilogy because Amazon showed that the third was coming out within a few months. For a birthday present for someone. The third book wasn't out for another year. X(

Could be completely made up, of course. But interesting that it's the same date I predicted... I doubt anyone at Amazon went through the same thought process as I did, and Tuesday isn't a common game release date for UK, it's usually Friday. So it could be that they've been advised of this date.

What I actually think is that this is the date they're targeting, but they don't want to officially announce anything until they're reasonably sure that they don't run into sudden obstacles that push it back. Especially given how the early announcement of the GF Remastered release hurt that team.

...then ship it to the release partner for the boxed copy, who have a turnaround of about a few weeks.

Do we know who that partner is? Is it IndieBox?

...then ship it to the release partner for the boxed copy, who have a turnaround of about a few weeks.

Do we know who that partner is? Is it IndieBox?

It's Nordic

Amazon.com over in the US says the 28th of April too, so it's not just the UK.

Because they're launching simultaneously with retail, they're going to have to "go gold" a couple weeks in advance of release, so I expect we'll probably hear something soon.

Very excited it's finally almost here.

I love this game and company, but I will be SO pissed off if they give it to reviews and those reviewers spoil it before I, as a backer can play it. Please make the embargo contain spoiler restrictions.

In the Doc, they discussed the release date, when they said April JP goes "April?". To which it's explained they need three weeks to produce for physical product. So off of that I'd assume they were planning to be done by end of March

Well, we can be pretty sure the release date is April now. And if it's being sent to cert on the 27th as in the picture then that makes the 28th likely, as Costume Quest 2 also had a month for cert on consoles (and physical PC release needs "a few weeks" turnaround.)

Either way we'll know for sure next week, I guess!

Sign in to follow this