Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Project Update 24: 3/22/15

Excuse me, but I think I don't understand what's happening. If I'm understanding correctly, we backers have been sold to this news site to bump up its traffic and increase its ad revenue. We no longer get information first, or first-hand. If the game is sent to press and certification this week, it means it is ready and will be sold in its current state, but we now have to wait a whole month because the retail partner and console publisher want a simultaneous release. Europe receives the game a day later for no reason at all, and the rest of the world probably so too, but isn't even mentioned.

Wasn't the whole point of the project to avoid all of this?

Excuse me, but I think I don't understand what's happening. If I'm understanding correctly, we backers have been sold to this news site to bump up its traffic and increase its ad revenue. We no longer get information first, or first-hand. If the game is sent to press and certification this week, it means it is ready and will be sold in its current state, but we now have to wait a whole month because the retail partner and console publisher want a simultaneous release. Europe receives the game a day later for no reason at all, and the rest of the world probably so too, but isn't even mentioned.

As I have understood the project since the start ($100 backer), the point of the project was to avoid publisher interference in the creative process, to make a game in a genre otherwise not possible, and to do the journey together with the backers. That they will have to cooperate with other organizations in terms of release and PR was still to be expected.

As far as I recall, the main point of the project was the documentary.

As I have understood the project since the start ($100 backer), the point of the project was to avoid publisher interference in the creative process, to make a game in a genre otherwise not possible, and to do the journey together with the backers. That they will have to cooperate with other organizations in terms of release and PR was still to be expected.

That's all well and good, but why would they not maintain the backer communication channel, even if it's the same information?

That's all well and good, but why would they not maintain the backer communication channel, even if it's the same information?

In this case it would have been in order to maximise IGN's exclusivity with breaking the news. In the online world, exclusives are counted in minutes, not hours or days, and you can guarantee that if they'd pushed out an email to backers with the date announcement at the same time as the IGN story went up, then some other site would have broken the story almost immediately.

Personally I don't care WHO breaks the story, but if part of the deal where IGN promotes Broken Age for a week involves them getting to be the ones to break the news to everyone, then I really don't think that's a big price to pay.

And,furthermore I think it's something that the team here have earned for themselves, considering that LAST time they broke something to us well in advance and asked us nicely to keep it quiet, they were immediately burned for doing so (the Act 1/2 split announcement). They have tried to be as open with us as possible, but they have learned the hard way that when it comes to big announcements, the usual channels still work best.

Yeah the IGN exclusive was a way for us to secure an entire week's coverage on the largest gaming site. That's highly invaluable when it comes to exposure for the game. We've been really transparent throughout this whole process over the past three years, and even let you guys know this was going to happen. The press are always just going to want some exclusive content to give a game that kind of placement.

As for the game being done and just sitting around. That's not entirely true, it's just that those builds that have to go through cert and be pressed to discs have a longer lead time and needed to get rolling first. We still have the Android/iOS/Ouya builds left, which is being worked on now. We're also continuing to test, so any new bugs that are found and fixed in the next month will make their way into the PC and PS4 builds. We've scheduled it all out so this can all hit on the same day, which will allow us to leverage any hype and press we're able to drum up across all platforms. I know a month feels like an eternity, but y'all have been so patient, so hopefully you can wait just a bit longer!

Yeah the IGN exclusive was a way for us to secure an entire week's coverage on the largest gaming site. That's highly invaluable when it comes to exposure for the game. We've been really transparent throughout this whole process over the past three years, and even let you guys know this was going to happen. The press are always just going to want some exclusive content to give a game that kind of placement.

I am not sute what to think about this decision. In general I agree with other backers/ posters that news about the game's development including release date should be delivered first-hand to them/ us and earlier than press or other third party channels. There are reasons for that, the main one being that other sources are not to be trusted to not augment/ skew the stories they get with random comments and speculations of their own and are generally not to be trusted (what was rumor, what was actual press release)- not as much as the actual source which is Double Fine.

However, it's your project, you can do whatever you think best to promote it, and you did send a notice that this would happen this week.

I do believe though that It would still be a nice gesture to send an e-mail today or soon to the backers, even if IGN already announced the date.

Eg. I found out the release date from a third party because I skipped the entire IGN coverage (is the coverage done? ) and I probably wouldn't have found out otherwise. Not yet anyway.

It would still be a nice gesture to send an e-mail today or soon to the backers, even if IGN already announced the date. .
This. I only saw from someones twitter (I think vectorpoem of all people...). I am avoiding IGN coverage since I bought the game (and played act 1) so don't really need more info; and there is a slight chance of a spoiler I don't want in that coverage.

I am not sute what to think about this decision. In general I agree with other backers/ posters that news about the game's development including release date should be delivered first-hand to them/ us and earlier than press or other third party channels. There are reasons for that, the main one being that other sources are not to be trusted to not augment/ skew the stories they get with random comments and speculations of their own and are generally not to be trusted (what was rumor, what was actual press release)- not as much as the actual source which is Double Fine.

However, it's your project, you can do whatever you think best to promote it, and you did send a notice that this would happen this week.

I do believe though that It would still be a nice gesture to send an e-mail today or soon to the backers, even if IGN already announced the date.

Right, I think with Kickstarter a balance has to be struck. Of course you gotta value your backers and be fair and forthcoming to them. On the other hand, I always found people very disagreeable who have that kind of "I paid you 15 bucks, now I own your asses!" attitude.

I'm not sure if anyone else noticed, but giving information to the backers first didn't exactly work out for Act 1. Some of the backers decided they were going to publicly break the news ahead of everyone else for their own personal profit, and ignore the trust that DF placed in us. (BTW - DF did let us know roughly the date before everyone else -- we've known for a while that it was going to be April.)

Also, at this point, there's no more information to share. That was it. We're done now. Complaining is pointless, as there will never be any more major "news" on BROKEN AGE.

I, for one, am more interested in seeing Broken Age being a success than getting the release date a minutes earlier than everyone else.

From all the Kickstarters I've backed, this has been by far the one were I got the most bang for my buck. No complaints here. Thanks DF, please do whatever you need to ensure you're maximising BA's chances of success.

I don't understand why knowing the release date before anyone else would be of benefit to the backers. I see NO problem with this.

I'm not sure if anyone else noticed, but giving information to the backers first didn't exactly work out for Act 1. Some of the backers decided they were going to publicly break the news ahead of everyone else for their own personal profit, and ignore the trust that DF placed in us. (BTW - DF did let us know roughly the date before everyone else -- we've known for a while that it was going to be April.)

This is true. However, there is always going to be such cases, why should they ruin it for the rest of us too?

Anyway, my (final) point was, that DF should probably inform the backers with an Kickstarter update, even now that the date has been announced by IGN.

I don't understand why knowing the release date before anyone else would be of benefit to the backers. I see NO problem with this.

You don't, but others do. And have explained why.

Wait, the release date has been announced?

Yeah, at the least we should get an update as soon as the IGN article went live.

I don't understand your explanation for it. You're worried that IGN will augment and/or skew the information? If they did, it would be easy for Double Fine to correct, and there is no reason for them to willingly change that information.

I don't understand your explanation for it. You're worried that IGN will augment and/or skew the information? If they did, it would be easy for Double Fine to correct, and there is no reason for them to willingly change that information.

The point is, the direct channel is more trustworthy. And yes. IGN could be potentially reporting rumors and not official news. They don't in this case, since we know DF gave them the exclusivity, and yet we still don't have an official announcement from DF itself.

From what I understand you are totally fine with IGN (read some third party) announcing the release, and no word from DF about it?

I am afraid I can't explain it better, and maybe it's because English is not my native language. It's cool that you don't see any problem at all with all this and does not affect you.

But I don't understand why the announcement of the release date through the private forums is important. Yes, I would also have appreciated an announcement here after the IGN news went out, but it's not essential. Companies communicate through many different channels, and games "news sites" is a strong marketing channel for games companies. Even big journalism parties use Facebook, Youtube and Twitter for releasing information.

We didn't back the project under the premise of getting to know the release date in advance, either.

I would have reacted differently if Double Fine, as an example, relased the documentary to the public without letting the backers know in advance.

(English is not my native language, either, but I think your English is perfectly fine, by the way.)

The minor difference is, when providing updates via Facebook, twitter and other such channels, those are still updates directly from the source. IGN is... a delegate. The "man" in the middle.

It's by no means the end of the world, or anything similarily dramatic. Not in this particular case.

And it's probably too early to judge anyway, since it's been less than a day since IGN posted the article that I read - I skipped the coverage partly because I didn't want the potential spoilers and partly because of other obligations (I almost forgot that this was a thing, even though I read the earlier Kickstarter update about it).

I am sure that DF is preparing an official update, whether it's going to be via the Kickstarter update or the forum. It's already on their official twitter.

This is true. However, there is always going to be such cases, why should they ruin it for the rest of us too?

That's the way the world works. We're all tethered by the worst of us.

Also, are you seriously suggesting that you would risk your own company's financial future (and by extension, the jobs of your employees, your own career, your own family's financial security), in order to please a stranger on the internet. Be realistic, please.

Also, are you seriously suggesting that you would risk your own company's financial future (and by extension, the jobs of your employees, your own career, your own family's financial security), in order to please a stranger on the internet. Be realistic, please.

You got that from what I wrote above?

Edit: I don't want to answer a question with a question though. The answer is no, I am not suggesting that at all.

I know a month feels like an eternity, but y'all have been so patient, so hopefully you can wait just a bit longer!

Speaking of eternity, don't you all have something else to do today than biching about the announcement ? No RPG players here ?

Just kidding, I'm looking forward to replay part 1 and get to see the ending of the game.

We have been prepping a Kickstarter announcement with the release date and that will go out today!

Sign in to follow this