Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Project Update 24: 3/22/15

Soooooooo, we’ve got something exciting to tell you all. WE JUST LOCKED THE BROKEN AGE RELEASE CANDIDATE!! After a solid month of pure bug squashing we have a build that’s looking super duper polished and ready to roll. Big props to the entire team for absolutely killing it and delivering something that really is everything we hoped it would be and more. I know it’s been a long wait, so thanks again for being so patient with us and allowing us to take the time we needed to make the game as good as possible!

KZPdR1e.jpg

So now what?! The build will sit in test for the next week while everyone on the team looks for any remaining issues that may have slipped through the cracks. Then it’s off to PlayStation 4 and Vita certification as well as pressing discs for the PC/Mac/Linux retail copy from our pals at Nordic Games. Those processes can take around a month, during which time we’ll be packaging up and prepping the iOS, Android, and Ouya builds so we can hit with everything on the same day! Speaking of the release date....

Release Date Announce and IGN Coverage

We’re going to announce the release date next week as part of a bunch of coverage that IGN is going to be running on the game throughout the week! It will all be on the front page of IGN, so keep an eye out for that news, as well as an interview with Tim and preview coverage of Act 2! Should be an awesome way to kick off formal promotion of the game’s release!

Documentary Update

Now that we’ve locked the build, the 2 Player Productions guys are pretty much done with filming for the next episode, save a few interviews. It’s just a matter of locking down the cut and doing an audio pass before the next episode is in your inboxes. That should hit around the time of launch in a month or so!

We’ll make sure to get the new episode to you guys first, but it’s been really awesome to have more folks watching and talking about the game through the public release of the doc! Please let your non-backers friends know they can join in on the fun now over on

Toejam and Earl

k1ugIZ9.jpg

Lastly, we just wanted to give one more shoutout to our friends at Humanature Studios that are in the final stretch of their Kickstarter for a new Toejam and Earl! They’re allllllllmost there with just 5 days to go, so let’s head on over to their Kickstarter page and give them that final push they need to make it a reality!

Congratulations guys! Looking forward to experiencing the final product! I just finished watching the AF 2012 doc, and the Broken Age documentary again, so I'm extra stoked.

Congratulations everyone at Double Fine and 2 Player Productions. That's great news! I'm really excited about finally being able to play Act 2 and watch the final part of the documentary soon. :)

BOOM!!!

This is so awesome. It's finally here. I cannot wait for Act II. 10x more stoked about this than I thought I would be... longer than Act I, and harder puzzles, and we already know the game quality is top notch? It's Christmas in April.

Better start planning your next Kickstarter for the next adventure game, cause my money is ready.

Congratulations to everyone at Double Fine. It's been great following along for the past 3 years, and it's going to be a shame when it's all over. It's been great being a fly on the wall.

But cannot wait to play Act 2 now.

Awesomeness, congratulations guys! I can't believe those post-its are finally on the board for real. Really looking forward to act II and all the goodies that'll be sent out after. This is going to be an amazing year!

This is great news, now tell Brad to hurry up with MASSIVE CHALICE, and set a date for AF2015!

So the game is finished but we’ll have to wait ages until we can actually play it? Is this a punishm^Wconsequence of what happened after the Act 1 backer launch?

Congratulations all you double fine people. What an exciting journey to watch and be a small part of. You should all be so proud. Looking forward to April. See you all then.

I'll be buzzing around in the IRC channel if anyone wants to be excited there. foonetic #dfadventure

Congrats on the big milestone - really excited to play Act 2!

What a journey!

Greg, will you have any more details about the physically released distribution before the street date? If I wanted to buy one for someone what stores will carry in the USA? Are they taking pre-orders? That kind of thing would be great, when you get that information and are allowed to share it.

Sounds great. Fun pills and sleds for everyone!

Smiles

Sounds great. Fun pills and sleds for everyone!

Smiles

That sounds like a couple of accidents waiting to happen. Would be fun accidents though. :P

And yeah, Doublefine, congrats on the big milestone. It's coming to an end. Bittersweet, that.

Thanks, Greg and team! I'm super excited to see where the adventure takes our duo next.

I also supported Toejam & Earl because DUH IT'S TOEJAM & EARL. I will be sooo sad if they don't hit the goal. Such heart. Such funk.

I posted a little about it in the other thread but in case you're worried, as long as you've played Act 1, there isn't very much in the way of spoiler for Act 2 in that video. A bit of dialogue and wandering around, but no actual footage of puzzles being solved - and it must actually be a little after the beginning of act 2, as the 2 characters aren't in their end of Act 1 starting positions, so there's at least some missed cut scenes too I think.

A few story bits are revealed obviously, but nothing that would be considered surprising based on what we already know. I'd argue the last doc episode revealed more of act 2 than this did. But it's still super cool to see it in action!

I posted a little about it in the other thread but in case you're worried, as long as you've played Act 1, there isn't very much in the way of spoiler for Act 2 in that video. A bit of dialogue and wandering around, but no actual footage of puzzles being solved - and it must actually be a little after the beginning of act 2, as the 2 characters aren't in their end of Act 1 starting positions, so there's at least some missed cut scenes too I think.

A few story bits are revealed obviously, but nothing that would be considered surprising based on what we already know. I'd argue the last doc episode revealed more of act 2 than this did. But it's still super cool to see it in action!

I'm mostly avoiding watching it to not spoil the humor. =D

Congrats to the Reds team on your RC! I hope you're all home sleeping now instead of reading this. : )

(Although, maybe sleeping through the weekend is a bit much. Except for you Greg -- we appreciate you posting updates on a Sunday!)

Hmm, the horizontal position/width of the 4 might exclude the 1.4 (as reasonable beings structure their date) as a release date. Although it might be done on purpose or by some left alignment fundamentalist. If you can afford making it for this day, it would be a heck of a release date.

Maybe there's just some more of space between the 4, the / and the 1 too. :o)

I'm mostly avoiding watching it to not spoil the humor. =D

Yhea, +1 , i also had to totally stop after the first minute (around that ^^). But what i have seen so far looks suuper cool! Man i am getting super exited! :)

And yes, it just starts with great humor ;D I had to stop it, i know i would have totally regret it! Like watching the Mystique Scenes for Days of future past on youtube before going into the cinema. I thought, man, what could possible go wrong? I love Mystique Scenes anyway ... nope, spoiled it, ruined the movie for me (a bit) at that moment ^^

Man people getting so bad spoilers out there now a days! You know, browser need antispoiler buttons for not even having the possibility thinking about clicking on play and maybe just doing it! nah

If anybody wanne make a kickstarter for a anti spoiler browser button add on ... shut up and take my money ^^

Hmm, the horizontal position/width of the 4 might exclude the 1.4 (as reasonable beings structure their date) as a release date. Although it might be done on purpose or by some left alignment fundamentalist. If you can afford making it for this day, it would be a heck of a release date.

Maybe there's just some more of space between the 4, the / and the 1 too. :o)

...... Secretly confirming Half Life 3 at the same time....

SPOILERS!

I don't know, the way Overmother speaks about "my son" sounds awfully believable. We officially don't even know yet that she is an actual human (even though this had been accidentally revealed in a documentary episode) so the fact that she actually is Shay's mom would be quite the reveal.

SPOILERS!

I don't know, the way Overmother speaks about "my son" sounds awfully believable. We officially don't even know yet that she is an actual human (even though this had been accidentally revealed in a documentary episode) so the fact that she actually is Shay's mom would be quite the reveal.

Sure. But that's just speculation

Yeah we actually put a lot of effort into making sure there weren't any major spoilers in there for people who have played Act 1. Even for those who haven't played Act 1 and may have watched, we really made sure to find sections that would spoil how the major beat at the end of Act 1 fully went down. And yeah no puzzle solutions. Pretty safe if you're interested, and remember there are hours and hours of this left! But yeah, almost, here so if you can wait, wait!

SPOILERS!

Sure. But that's just speculation

Even she actually believing to be his mom would be kinda big news, so I was like "Ooh, big reveal right there! Nicely handled, too!" Therefore, I'd qualify your "no spoilers" promise at least somewhat.

But yeah, almost, here so if you can wait, wait!

I can't wait actually. Watched the video. Now what? ;)

Personally, I can wait.

Even on act 2 release I'm going to wait a bit more, as I'm going to replay act 1 once more.

Heck yeah, Broken Age, you are so near I can almost taste you.

What a long, strange trip it's been. :D

Sign in to follow this