Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ET3D

Will we get the Android version?

I play on Android these days, and I'm happy that the game will be released on Android at the same time as other platforms.

Question is, as a backer, will I get the Android version alongside the PC one? The Humble page already has an OUYA key, and Humble supports Android, so I guess it's possible, I just don't remember if this was discussed.

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, it may not have been figured out for sure. The original kickstarter only mentioned the PC versions, but at that time Android wasn't even a platform. When iOS and Android were added to the platforms list, they never said whether backers got them. The iOS version is obviously no, as Apple has no mechanism for distributing copies that way, but Android has always been in limbo.

When I got the Paul and Storm kickstarter app, they has a problem with android giving it away for free, they could either set the price to 0 for everyone in the world (they scheduled certain secret times for us to grab it), or we would have had to buy it. They didn't seem to have a mechanism in place to get codes or coupons. Not sure if that would be the case here.

The easiest way to give an Android version is through Humble. That's how I got Broken Sword 5, and some other Kickstarter games for Android. There's no need for any codes, it's just a download (through the Humble app or the web page). Since Broken Age is already given through Humble, there shouldn't be any problem providing the Android version that way. I'm guessing that the Paul and Storm people simply didn't know about Humble.

Can we get some official statement to this question? I did not find any.

I did not even start with Act1, as i was waiting for the android release -> play it on the tablet/couch.

It's limited to Google Play for now. I'm investigating if we'll release the Android build through any other store.

By the way, I just realised there's another way to give away free copies for Android. It's a little backward and won't work well for a very large number of people, but worth mentioning in case someone here sees a small Kickstarter struggling with giving away Android versions.

The idea is refunding Google Play purchases. I bought Knights of the Old Republic on Google Play, and Aspyr refunded me the money while letting me keep the game, because they said my bug reports were helpful (that was a great gesture, made me a fan of them). So I figure that it may be possible to use this method to allow a specific group of people to effectively not pay for a game. I think that going through Humble is better, but if devs want to keep to Google Play that may be an option.

I think while refunding could be a potential idea, it still would end up costing to Double Fine as Google would propably keep their cut ot he original purchase.

I think while refunding could be a potential idea, it still would end up costing to Double Fine as Google would propably keep their cut ot he original purchase.

Actually, having googled a little, at least according to this, Google bears the full price of the refund. That is, the devs keep their earnings. In that case, this solution won't work, because Google is not likely to allow mass refunds.

(By the way, it bugs me that people tend to assume the worst of every company.)

Still waiting for a reply about backers: are we going to have access to a free Android version or nor? A lot of time has passed and my memories are blurry but I'm quite sure I pleadged when the android version stretch goal was met. And I did it because I wanted to play the game on Android!

Backers received a PC version of the game only I'm afraid, there was never a backer tier to receive any other version. Sorry!

Still waiting for a reply about backers: are we going to have access to a free Android version or nor? A lot of time has passed and my memories are blurry but I'm quite sure I pleadged when the android version stretch goal was met. And I did it because I wanted to play the game on Android!

I don't think Double Fine Adventure even had stretch goals. Many kickstarters of other game companies after had stretch goals, but this one did not.

Smiles

I don't think Double Fine Adventure even had stretch goals. Many kickstarters of other game companies after had stretch goals, but this one did not.

You're right, my memory failed me. I also realized I've been a Slacker Backer.

But archive is here to my rescue. Here is from http://www.doublefine.com/dfapay on 12 Aug 2012:

"WHAT YOU GET

Download of the finished game DRM free on PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, or Android"

So here I am. Give me what has been promised, guys.

Well, it does say "or". If there was an "and" in there, you might have a case. However, "or" implies that you get to pick one, and I'm guessing you've already done that, so sleep well, full of assurance that you did, indeed, get what you were promised.

You must be a lawyer, right?

So here I am, guilty of not having read the fine print well enough.

Yes, I got a PC version of part 1 when it was released log ago, just for the fun of it. I also think I never downloaded part 2, actually.

I don't think I ever got through the first scene of part 1 either, but that's not the point: if there is a choice to be made I've never been offered such a choice.

There's a subtle difference between being technically on the right side and being morally on the right side, you distinction between "or" and "and" definitely falls on the first category.

Now, since you're into this, let me add that. My humblebundle says: "Broken Age, cross-platform and DRM-free". To my understanding cross-platform does not mean one platform or the other, but all the platforms. But then again, it should not be a matter of technicalities.

Please deliver what has been promised. Thanks.

Hmm so it did, wow what a mistake to make there. There were never any plans for this so this was oversight, and it looks like it was fixed a month or so later.

It looks like you backed in September that year, so I believe you when you say you backed for the android version, before we'd changed the page.

Mistake or not, I feel we should try to deliver. The problem is we can't get any android codes...

Can you please email me and we'll try to work out a solution? spaff@doublefine.com

Please deliver what has been promised. Thanks.

As Spaff mentions above, reach out to him and you can probably resolve things. Though, this line rubs me the wrong way. To each their own.

Fun pills and sleds for Morci.

Smiles

Though, this line rubs me the wrong way.

Oh well, I guess I have to admit I'm using bold statements and making things bigger than they are just for the fun of it, and I'm surely sounding a bit harsh but I felt rub the wrong way too, when people stated questioning me with "and"s and "or"s.

I'll reach out to Spaff and see what can be done but, really, I contributed to this project because I felt that was the right thing to do, not because I wanted to save a little money.

There's a subtle difference between being technically on the right side and being morally on the right side, you distinction between "or" and "and" definitely falls on the first category.

I disagree. Without trying to be mean, when I go to breakfast, I understand that when the menu says that I can have bacon or sausage that I will need to make a choice between the two, but if it says bacon and sausage, I know that I am getting both. I'm glad that they are taking care of you on this, and I apologize for the snarky way that I responded, but I do get tired of coming here, and seeing people accusing them of being dishonest. It's tough to run a small business, and the slightest error in your wording can be the difference between the company making a profit, and not making a profit, which eventually leads to my favorite company going under. Which I don't want to happen. So, I do believe that "or" is important, and I don't think it is immoral. "Or" has a very clear and defined use in the English language.

I agree morci was being abrasive, but regardless of the ands/ors DF did briefly and mistakenly say there would be an option to plump for the Android version and I think it's understandable for morci to feel misled. Seeing as Spaff's being awesome and dealing with it, I don't think we all need to keep reiterating him or picking the semantics apart.

I do agree with your agreement that they agreed that it was misleading. I just wanted to offer an apology wrapped in a delicious sandwich of "I'm still right." Because still being right is the most important thing in life, I think we can all agree.

Couldn't you just distribute the APK for backers? Hypothetically?

Couldn't that be easily shared around from backers to dodgy sites?

Couldn't the currently released DRM-free Humble/GOG ones as well? Or the game disc for that matter? What's the difference? Unless they have some kind of exclusive license with the Play Store or something?

Backers received a PC version of the game only I'm afraid, there was never a backer tier to receive any other version. Sorry!

This is not entirely true; backers at at least the $100 tier also got the Ouya version as well (mentioned in first post).

More generally, releasing the game via Humble would be easy-peasy; the infrastructure is already there; DF would just have to pull the trigger on it.

Although, The Cave and Costume Quest have both been distributed DRM free as APKs on Humble.

Although, The Cave and Costume Quest have both been distributed DRM free as APKs on Humble.

Among multitudes of non-DF games.

Sign in to follow this