Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mosher

Act I: Favorite Moments

With a date for Act II coming soon, it seemed like a good time to share some favorite moments from Act I. Let's keep this just to sharing favorite moments. And keep this to Act I even after Act II comes out for the sake of any late comers to Act II. Of course, if you haven't finished Act I, stop reading as this will inevitably have potatoes ... erm, spoilers. And maybe we should avoid talking about the spoiler of all the spoilers, just so we don't ruin things for any wayward soul who wanders in here. Plus we all already know it was awesome.

With that out of the way, I played through the game with my fiancé. She played Vella, and I played Shay (we switched on our second play through). I have a number of adventure games under my belt, but she really hasn't played any. It was really interesting to see how she played, being newer to the genre. She got stuck on some things I thought were easy, but also noticed things I missed.

Though the best moment came when we truly saw the difference in our play styles upon meeting our friend, Spoon. Behind his desperate pleas for validation I knew there was comedy gold. Instead of obliging his pleas, I patiently waited without sympathy. But his cries did not fall on deaf ears.

"Pick him up! Pick him up!" my fiancé cried! She was moved by Spoon's longing for acceptance. She had become immersed in the game while I was mining it for jokes. The game drawing her in to the experience like this is truly a testament to the team's hard work. We're both eagerly awaiting Act II.

Edit: typo

Haha, I was going to say one of my favourite moments from Act I was waiting to pick up that Spoon.

Some other stuff:

- I really enjoyed the head-shrinking puzzle. It was pretty easy, but I thought it was fun to physically do.

- Curtis

- That ending. First time a game really threw me with a plot twist in a looong while.

My 3 favorite moments, by far:

• When Shay first hears the "sacrifice girl" story from the mother computer. There's a subtle music shift to Vella's theme, and the giant head framed against the emotion of the music and Shay's disinterest piqued my interest and made me wonder about dozens of questions.

• When Vella frees Alex from cryo-sleep. I was sure at first that it was Shay from the future, but after finishing the first act I'm almost positive that's not the case. It was still a big moment and made me wonder if all my questions would be answered. On the contrary, I suddenly had twice as many questions.

• The final moments and reveal that Shay (with the help of Grabbin' Gary at Shellmound or "Prima Doom") was controlling Mog Chothra. Probably the biggest shock I've experienced since **SPOILERS FOR STAR WARS: KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC** the playable character in KotOR was revealed to be Revan.

I can't wait for act 2...

Sign in to follow this