Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Brad

MASSIVE CHALICE Early Access Beta Patch 0.96

MASSIVE CHALICE Early Access Beta Patch 0.96

SteamMainCapsule_V0.96.png

We’re getting really close to our 1.0 release!

We’ve got a ton of improvements to the game both big and small. Here’s the complete list, and thanks for sticking with us in Early Access! :D!

SAVE GAME INVALIDATION AND OPTIONS RESET

You’ll see some small warnings at startup after you patch. We had to nuke save games and your settings. This should be the last time we have to do this, but it might happen again when we go to 1.0! We know this can be frustrating but thank you for your understanding.

ADVANCED CADENCE PAWN UPGRADES

Each Cadence Pawn now has a new trick when it strikes back later in the Timeline as its Advanced version! Before the Advanced versions were just stronger and did more damage to your heroes, but now they have additional gameplay.

Advanced Seed - Pack Hunter - Advanced Seeds now get a buff when 3 or more friendly units are near them.

Advanced Lapse - Skill Delay - A blast from an Advanced Lapse not only drains a significant amount of XP but it will also trigger the maximum cooldown for all of a hero’s skills!

Advanced Rupture - Bigger Beefier Corrosion Pool - Advanced Ruptures now create a patch of Corrosion that’s more damaging and covers more area (13 tiles for a standard, now 21 for an Advanced!)

Advanced Bulwark - Fortify - An Advanced Bulwark will now provide a +5 Armor buff to all nearby enemies.

Advanced Wrinkler - Fury - Advanced Wrinklers now get a stacking buff to their damage each time they take damage and don’t die!

Advanced Cradle - Avenger - Each time an Advanced Cradle witnesses the death of an ally it gains a permanent stacking buff to its damage for the rest of the tactical mission.

Advanced Twitcher - Stand Ground - Advanced Twitchers can’t be knocked back and can’t be stunned. Good luck! :D!

ART

Child Models - Children models now exist! From ages 2-15 you’ll see a child (male and female) when you inspect your hero. These kids can also sit the throne!

Baby Models - From ages 0-2 your hero will be a baby! Look at that cute little scamp! :D! Babies can also be in their crib in front of the throne if appointed as Regent.

Advanced Cadence Pawn Outfits - All 7 of the Advanced Cadence Pawns now have additional visuals that denote them as ADVANCED.

RESISTANCE STAT REMOVED!

Previously Heroes had Resistance and Armor. Some enemies were doing Physical Damage (mitigated by Armor) and some enemies were doing Non-Physical Damage (mitigated by Resistance). Armor was derived from Strength and Resistance was derived from Intelligence. It was a cool design in theory but we never quite got to the point where it was being explained properly and people knew what to do!

We’ve removed Resistance (and Non-Physical Damage) from the game completely. We now have just one damage type that is mitigated by Armor. We’ve also removed the dependence of Armor on Strength. We’re left with a simpler system where you just want to try to balance your Armor and Evasion when making Armor choices.

There were also a few traits that referenced Resistance. Those have gone away too!

We’re not expecting a lot of players to be affected by this, but some of the feel-bad gotcha moments have gone away. The biggest one is when you a hero with high upgraded Armor vs. a Cradle or Advanced Lapse. These enemies were doing high Non-Physical Damage and your hero would get wrecked due to a lack of Resistance! This felt awful and it’s GOING AWAY! :D!

HERO TRAINING

We want to put more of an emphasis on tech into the game. Most players are just using the Research system for buildings and maybe some armor. It’s not the most critical system and it should be more important!

We’re introducing 6 new tech pieces into the game in the form of an Advanced and Elite Training for each of the 3 core classes.

Advanced Training increases a class’s core stat by +5.

Elite Training increases a class’s core stat by +10 (that stacks with Advanced Training to get to +15).

These techs are available right away and give you some more choices about how you’re going to spend your research time!

RESEARCH CREDITS

Trying to field all 3 classes is really difficult! It’s gotten even more so with the introduction of the aforementioned Training tech. In order to combat this we’ve added the concept of research credit for Class Armor and Class Training.

By researching Advanced Training for one of the classes you’ll get a 50% time reduction on research for the remaining two Advanced Trainings for the other classes. The same goes for Armor! This should make it easier to equip all of your heroes with great gear and keep up with the difficulty curve!

*****XP******

We did some hardcore analysis of the amount of XP that was flying around the game and we’ve decided to make some targeted nerfs.

Hero XP - Heroes are leveling at a good clip early but we needed to slow it down later in the game. We want you to have some room to grow during the back half of the game, so the XP curve has gotten quite a bit steeper later on.

Relic XP Creation Normalization - Relics were based on a set amount of Kill XP during a hero’s lifetime. This is nicely balanced at the start of the game but later on a hero can get just 1 or 2 kills and create a Relic upon death. Not only is this out of line with the thematics of the system (that’s not super heroic!) it was also creating a TON of Relics. We’re now normalizing the Kill XP to make it uniformly difficult to create Relics throughout the game. This should reduce the number of Relics that you get, making them a super valuable resource!

Relic XP - On top of being super plentiful, Relics were also too easy to level to 10. We’ve DRAMATICALLY increased the XP Curve for Relics, with the goal of having a level 10 Relic be more rare. You’ll have to rely on some other tech (Training and Cadence Weapons) in order to keep up!

TACTICAL BALANCE

Rupture - Stacking Armor Corrosion - Previously getting caught in a Rupture blast would reduce your Armor by 50%. Now a Rupture will reduce your Armor by 1 for the rest of the mission. It also stacks! Plus a hero’s Armor can now go negative causing some pretty gruesome hits later in a mission!

Knockback Caber Damage Lowered - The Knockback Caber was dealing 100% damage to enemies on collision damage. This has been cut to 50% damage.

Advanced Ruptures removed from the Final Battle - Having a Rupture explode on the Chalice was pretty awful! We’ve removed them from the Final Battle altogether.

STRATEGIC BALANCE

Corpse Counts! - We’ve farmed a bunch of data to get average Corpse Counts from the game. Almost all Cadence Tech has been adjusted to make these decisions more interesting!

ADDITIONAL TUTORIAL CHUNKS

Cam Zoom Tutorial - Added a new tutorial chunk to explain cam zooming.

Inspect Hero Tutorial - Added a new tutorial chunk to explain zooming in on your hero to see their stats in Tactical.

Enemy HP Icons Tutorial Popup - Add a tutorial popup that explains the eyeball, flask toss, and arrow icons next to an enemy’s HP flags.

Skill Point Spending Tutorial Popup - Added a tutorial popup if you enter battles 2+ with a hero that has unspent skill points.

Building Placement Tutorial Popup - Added a tutorial popup for when you go to place your first building. This explains the importance and danger of the outer region bonuses!

FEATURES

Disabled Skill Information - We now give you more information when a skill is on cooldown or otherwise unavailable.

Save Icon - A small chalice icon flashes when the game is being saved. Super helpful when playing in IRON Mode!

Gamma Fix - Gamma slider is now correct. It starts in the middle (0.5 gamma) and can go from 0 (super dark!) to 1.0 (super bright!).

CREDITS

We’ve got a first-pass implementation of the Credits in there! There’s a bunch of dummy Backer data in there right now, but we’re gathering it up and it will be solid in 1.0! :D!

TWEAKS

Button Consistency! - Tons of buttons in the game have been consolidated.

Region Information During an Attack - You can now toggle region information to see the Region Bonuses on the map when the Cadence attacks. This should help you make more informed decisions when the Cadence attacks two outer regions.

Asthma Message - When a character has an Asthma Attack some text flies out of their HP banner to let you know!

Jump to hero view on first Baby Born and first Hero comes of Age - We now take you down to the hero stat view when clicking OK on the prompt that informs you of your first baby or hero that’s come of age. This is a great way to see that new baby model!

Invalid Red Highlights for Regions - Regions on the Strat Map that are invalid for selection (for example, trying to place a building on a region that already has one) now have a red tint to their region selection visuals.

Genetic Adjustment - We’ve adjusted our genetics code to favor traits of the parents over random traits when we cull down to the 3 genetic traits per character. Check it out and see if it feels better!

Nickname XP Goal Increase - Heroes now need more XP in order to earn a nickname!

Recruited Hero Level Bump - Heroes recruited through research are now a slightly higher level. They’re still behind the curve, but this should keep them more relevant throughout the game!

Camel Case Consistency - Lots Of Words On Buttons Have Been Given A Camel Case Consistency So You’ll See Them Like This And It Will Feel Great!

BUG FIXES

Rendering Behind Alpha’d Geometry - Fixed a bug that was causing certain particle effects to be invisible when drawing behind a tall object that is alpha’d down.

Longevity for Sagewrights - The Longevity Bonus research item now applies to Sagewrights.

OPTIMIZATIONS

Timeline Running - Lots of optimization to get the framerate up when the timeline is running and you have a ton of heroes!

Holy dang, that's a lot of patch notes! Great work team!

SAVE GAME INVALIDATION AND OPTIONS RESET

You have just murdered my whole kingdom ! You Monster !

I will go curl up into a ball and cry a little bit, but aside from that, it looks like a great patch ! I can't wait to see the final game !

I really love that the advanced enemies are becoming more... flavoursome, both in appearance and in what they can do. Should really help mix things up as the game progresses.

I'm still a little worried about the early game, but I'm hoping that those training options are going to mitigate some of that. The way I play, which is not -stupid- but also not super optimal, I think those upgrades are going to be necessary to get me comfortably through the first 70 or so years.

As it is, right now I'm concerned not to burn out on the game before release, so I'm going to wait on 1.0. Everyone else have fun testing this!

The research discounts are a great idea. The game penalizes diversification enough as is. Taking the sting off the research costs a bit is a good move.

Love the idea of the advanced monster abilities, too. More variety in the combat is welcome.

Good job!

I forgot one very important change!!!

TACTICAL BALANCE

Cradle and Advanced Cradle - When killed, a Cradle will spawn 3 Seeds.

>:D

TACTICAL BALANCE

You are a monster!

The Lapse one is the one killing me.

Checking back once again. Boy are there a lot of notes.

Advanced Twitchers... I'm sorry, everyone.

Yay for no resistance!

I still haven't actually beaten the game on hard, but this'll give me another reason to try :)

Thinking about the synergy thing, any thoughts on taking it a bit further?

Since, at present, parental XP is the primary factor in child XP, bloodlines already naturally strongly reward clumping. You'll want to field and regent higher level guys because they're more likely to win and will produce higher level children. In reward for fielding them, they get even more ahead in XP. In reward for marrying them, you get more of their class.

Gear upgrades only compound this further for similar reasons- they'll fight better and die less, so they're better to use and more likely to keep living and getting better. (see also relics)

What if you just got rid of class-specific armor (excluding Cadence armor) and stat research and just had tier 2 and tier 3 armor and stat techs that upgraded it across all classes? The game already both naturally tends towards and rewards hitting a single class really heavily, to its detriment IMHO, and all class-specific technologies do is further that.

Speaking of rewarding class clumping, any thoughts on using the advanced abilities as a way to make some monsters harsher against specific classes? Sure, seeds are hard to hit with ranged attacks, but even when I've wandered into a mission with 4-5 hunters and found a bunch of advanced seeds waiting for me it's never been a crippling disadvantage.

Imagine if, say, the Advanced Cradle could shoot down flasks landing within 3 squares of it while not stunned, and the Advanced Bulwark offered a 50% arrow deflection aura instead of +5 armor. Now the player has a strong mechanical incentive to get alternate bloodlines up and running before the late game so that they can deal with Cadence that provide a stronger counter to specific classes.

I haven't had a chance to follow development of this game or play it in the past couple months so I'm sure I'm missing some important stuff... but I'm super stoked to see that the younger ages are getting visuals in the game. The advanced cadence and research tweaks sound cool too.

Woah, that's a big update! :D

These advanced unit changes are going to massively shift the late game. Looking forward to finding time to dig in!

It all sounds pretty sweet. I'm holding off on playing though until the release -- both since my time is limited right now, but I also just want to see everything in a finalish state!

Keep up the good work. Look forward to seeing any of the remaining patches.

Smiles

TACTICAL BALANCE

You are a monster!

The Lapse one is the one killing me.

Brad just had to sneak in one of the most important parts of this patch. I'm sure someone with play the update without reading any of this and just freak out.

TACTICAL BALANCE

Advanced cradle => advanced seed?

This looks less boring (I'm probably going to hold off on playing just yet, but these all seem like they'd allow more diverse tactical fights and research planning). Good job.

I keep forgetting that cradles drop 3 seeds on death. Need to try to kill them at the start of a turn, not at the end

Sign in to follow this