Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Spaff

Spacebase Update 3/25/15

Sooo what we thought was a very minor update to Spacebase DF-9 yesterday, adding mod support for Linux and Mac, actually had some residual fixes (and bugs) that were left over from the engineering team who left the project, and sadly the studio last year.

Apologies, we didn't know these were in there.

The latest build contains the following changes:

- Modding support added for Mac and Linux

- Game uses a launch script now instead of running the binary directly, likely to fix some bug

- All flavor texts have been mutilated to replace trademark symbols with question marks by accident (see the description text for a plant, for example) :)

- it's now possible to set config options to disable hostiles, docking, meteor events

- characters are immediately killed if they spawn or move outside the world bounds for some reason (dunno which bug this fixes)

- no longer targeting for attacks if in the brig

- monsters and killbots are now excluded from doctor's scan+heal action

- oxygen recycler decay reduced by 16%

- level 2 oxygen recycler matter cost increased from 150 to 250

- level 2 oxygen recycler description fixed to correctly state it's 4x more effective (description used to be wrong, said 2x better only)

- level 2 fridge capacity increased from 15 to 50

- some bug relating to fridge clearing timers fixed

- some bug relating to immigrant docking fixed

- some bug relating to room contiguity for power distribution seems to have been fixed too

- characters in elevated spacewalk will no longer float away from the world

- serving food will now satisfy social and amusement needs in addition to duty need

- supermaintainers are 3x more effective

Thanks to muzzy on the Steam forums for the detective work on this.

Awesome. Now that there is support for modding on Mac and Linux, I can finally dive into the source code myself. Thanks a lot for this update. :D

Is there something I'm missing? I still can't get mods to work (Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit). I completely uninstalled the game and deleted all saves just as a sanity check, but they still don't work. I confirmed that the Mod file I was attempting to use works fine in Windows 7. Can anyone confirm if they can get mods to work in a Linux distro and/or Mac?

Another player on the Steam forum confirmed that mods are loading on Mac.

Does the example mod provided by DF load? That one just adds items vs changing anything as the modder based ones do.

Thanks.

Examining the init.lua for the example mod zip file, there should be some printed output confirming that it has loaded but I see no string output in the log file (or on the screen when running the game from a command line) I was also trying the Sandbox mode that you put into a zip file for Cridge on the Steam Forums, with the same results: the mods work fine in Windows, but not for me in Linux.

The executable on Windows was not updated from the 11/15 version, only several script files. If the Linux executable was not updated then the mod loading would still not be fixed since that is where it happens. Otherwise, it must be expecting something that is missing or it was not fully tested.

The new sandbox options should work if the "BootConfig.lua" file was updated with the "disable_hostiles = false, disable_hostile_events = false, disable_docking = false, and disable_meteors = false" settings listed near the top. If so, then you can now set these in the "bootconfig.cfg" text file in your saves folder.

Not sure if the executable was updated since I completely uninstalled the game and downloaded it again (messing with the timestamps on my machine). I know that the bootconfig switches *do* work, since I've built a 50 person crew station in a few hours with not much other than a few random diseases and a few fist fights. Once everyone is in reasonable spirits and everything is working fairly well, I plan on turning the switches for hostiles and meteors back on to see how the crew handle it. >:)

Sign in to follow this