Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Project Update 25: 3/26/15

Greetings dearest backers!

As many of you will have seen already, we’ve announced that the full Broken Age adventure, Acts 1 & 2 combined, will be coming to PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, Ouya, PS4 and PS Vita on April 28th! (Although PlayStation platform release dates may vary depending on the local store update times)

That’s only One. Month. Away. Say Whaaatttt?

Exciting times are the times we are now living in!

You won’t have to do anything special to get Act 2, it will be added as a free update to Act 1. So if you have it installed already, it should patch in and you’ll be good to go!

Cross Save

Broken Age also support cross save across many platforms, so if you’ve completed Act 1 on PC, Mac, or Linux, you’d be able to continue your game on your iOS or Android device through Dropbox cloud saves if you so wished. PS4 and PS Vita have their own separate cross save system as well.

IGN Act 2 Sneak Peek

Last week Tim took Broken Age Act 2 over to the IGN offices (which are handily just around the corner) and sat down with Marty Sliva to play through the first 12 minutes of the game. If you can’t wait any longer to see what’s in store for Shay and Vella, and you don’t mind a few light spoilers (we made sure to hold back all puzzles), then go check out IGN’s 12 minute preview (Warning: again, spoilers).

Broken Age Box art, by Cory Schmitz

The physical box release for Broken Age is making it’s way through the manufacturing plants as we speak with a classy box art design by our good friend Cory Schmitz. The box will feature a transparent slip case with Shay and Vella on it, which means you can choose who sits at the bottom or the top, and it’s suuuuuuuuuuper purty. Check it out here with the slip case removed...

xppVq3Q.jpg

Please note that this is NOT the $100+ backer reward box, which is going to be a whole bunch bigger, and obviously even cooler. That will be based on this design, but we’re waiting for the documentary to wrap up before we start making that, since that will be included. No, this is the physical box that will be for general release.

Pillars of Eternity

Lastly, our good friends at Obsidian are releasing their crowdfunded game Pillars of Eternity today, and we wanted to give them a big ol’ high five! Made by the same talented folks who made South Park: The Stick of Truth, and Fallout: New Vegas, Pillars of Eternity launches today on PC, Mac and Linux, go take a look!

http://buy.pillarsofeternity.com/

7Sm3AjZ.jpg

Thanks everyone!

Great stuff

Though why is that "Act I" review on there on the cover for the full game?

Someone that doesn't know anything about the game could be confused like "what? Is this act I? Not a full game?" or "Ok act I was great... what about act II?"

I'm seriously puzzled now though because massive chalice just posted an update talking about wrapping up their game, they hire a community manager, they've lost a ton of people to a publisher pulling out of a project, they're about to launch Broken Age Adventure and not one whit of anything that they're doing next.

I hope they don't have to go back to publishers and go running silent mode from here on out on what their next project is...

DF information withdrawls...

I'm seriously puzzled now though because massive chalice just posted an update talking about wrapping up their game, they hire a community manager, they've lost a ton of people to a publisher pulling out of a project, they're about to launch Broken Age Adventure and not one whit of anything that they're doing next.

I hope they don't have to go back to publishers and go running silent mode from here on out on what their next project is...

I also hope this isn't the case because I've really enjoyed transparent DF for the past few years. But there is an argument to be made that while community-wise it's been great, sales-wise it hasn't helped them a whole bunch, and may have actually harmed them. So it wouldn't really shock me if we now see a transition back into a more gated off way of doing things.

I wonder if there's a compromise to be had. I personally would, say, subscribe to a service where I get to peek behind the DF curtain in various ways.

By the way, I think the box art is suuuuper classy.

I've enjoyed the transparency and open communication for the way it opened a window for DF and fans to talk and interact more and get excited about stuff together.

Less pleasant was the realization that it also allowed passing jerks with a chip on their shoulder to elbow their way into the friendly conversation to say a bunch of nasty stuff.

If they went back to being more silent, I will miss getting to directly interact with the DF staff, but I also don't want them to have to be constantly exposed to the stinkiest parts of the internet's butt and get their day ruined by nasty remarks all the time.

I'm sure we'd still hear from them sometimes. Just not necessarily related to info on upcoming games. Tim has always been a forum ninja, disappearing for long lengths of time, but then randomly appearing to make a single wisecrack in a thread where you wouldn't have expected him to show up. That's always fun when that happens.

I'm sure it'll be okay.

What would be really fun is if they brought back the regular blog posts (with photos!) to Double Fine Action News! Or a monthly podcast or something like that. I'm sure they could find plenty of stuff to talk about that wasn't some kind of spoiler/info-leak about an upcoming title.

I'm really looking forward to play the next act soon! Also, any of you know when they might release the next documentary episode?

I'm really looking forward to play the next act soon! Also, any of you know when they might release the next documentary episode?

Same time as act 2.

Great stuff

Someone that doesn't know anything about the game could be confused like "what? Is this act I? Not a full game?" or "Ok act I was great... what about act II?"

I guess it's because they want a quote on there but can't wait for reviews of the game as a whole, and they have to keep the "Act I" bit in that quote because otherwise they'd be misrepresenting the review.

If they went back to being more silent, I will miss getting to directly interact with the DF staff, but I also don't want them to have to be constantly exposed to the stinkiest parts of the internet's butt and get their day ruined by nasty remarks all the time.

Yeah, I really hope the door isn't going to be closed shut again, but they'd need to find a model in which the openness and transparency doesn't work against them. I myself am getting sick and tired of the amount of hatred going around on the Internet sometimes, but I can't imagine how it must feel when you're part of the group against whom that hatred is directed.

Anyway, Tim Schafer recently mentioned in an interview that he would want to work on a systems-based game next. Not sure if we should read anything into it, but considering the fact that both Broken Age and Massive Chalice are wrapping up around the same time, I could imagine Tim and Brad working on a systems-based game next. I absolutely love the creativity in the design of the classes in Brütal Legend, so combining that with Brad's well-developed design sense, could make for an interesting game.

I also wonder if they have a small mobile project going on with Pendleton Ward. I don't have any evidence for that, but it's always fun to speculate.

. The box will feature a transparent slip case with Shay and Vella on it, which means you can choose who sits at the bottom or the top, and it’s suuuuuuuuuuper purty. Check it out here with the slip case removed...

How would that work? I am a bit confused by that sentence (the one that I put in bold)

Thanks for the official update!

. The box will feature a transparent slip case with Shay and Vella on it, which means you can choose who sits at the bottom or the top, and it’s suuuuuuuuuuper purty. Check it out here with the slip case removed...

How would that work? I am a bit confused by that sentence (the one that I put in bold)

Thanks for the official update!

Shay is on one side of the transparent slip case and Vella is on the other. Depending on how you put it over the box, either Shay or Vella will be positioned over the front of the box and the other one would be positioned over the back.

Shay is on one side of the transparent slip case and Vella is on the other. Depending on how you put it over the box, either Shay or Vella will be positioned over the front of the box and the other one would be positioned over the back.

More like up or down.... ;-)

http://www.amazon.de/EuroVideo-00784-Broken-Age/dp/B00S1HJRT4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427463858&sr=8-1&keywords=broken+age

Anyway, Tim Schafer recently mentioned in an interview that he would want to work on a systems-based game next.

Hmm... that's interesting. Technically SBDF9 is a kind of systems game. I guess Tim didn't work on that game at all, though. Maybe DF is gonna try their hand at the very trendy (but quickly crowding) roguelike genre?

Not sure if we should read anything into it, but considering the fact that both Broken Age and Massive Chalice are wrapping up around the same time, I could imagine Tim and Brad working on a systems-based game next.

It's possible. Or it's possible that Brad would be assigned to help with another team for a while instead of going right into leading another project. There's no way to know.

I absolutely love the creativity in the design of the classes in Brütal Legend, so combining that with Brad's well-developed design sense, could make for an interesting game.

I'm pretty sure Brad led the gameplay/combat design for BL, so there's no combining to do. That IS brad's design work (and the rest of the BL team, of course). ;-)

Brad is good, but he has his own philosophy, which might not be the same as another person's. Brad is more on the purist/mechanics-driven end of the spectrum, so games like Trenched and Massive Chalice are super duper in his wheelhouse. But Brad would be less in his wheelhouse working on a game like ICO, or Gone Home, or To The Moon, or.... well... Broken Age. It would depend on what kind of game it needed to be. "Systems-based" sounds like it would probably be in Brad's wheelhouse, but that depends on what these systems are actually doing, I guess.

I also wonder if they have a small mobile project going on with Pendleton Ward. I don't have any evidence for that, but it's always fun to speculate.

I don't see any reason to think so, but PW and DF in the same room for LPBB was a treat.

Great stuff

Good call!

Anyway, Tim Schafer recently mentioned in an interview that he would want to work on a systems-based game next.

Sound interesting, but I hope that Double Fine will make additional point&click; adventures. Perhaps something smaller, like Machinarium, or something episodic, but I think Broken Age shows that the team - not just Tim - has a talent for this, and that that talent will be put to use again.

I'd love to see Tim and Brad on the same project again, on a system based game with Tim on concept/world design and Brad down in the weeds of the mechanics.

Quick question on the retail box:

Will it be available in American retail outlets? Currently Amazon only has a UK import listed on the US store.

I'm pretty sure Brad led the gameplay/combat design for BL, so there's no combining to do. That IS brad's design work (and the rest of the BL team, of

I think you're right in that a lot of Brutal Legend's gameplay stemmed from Brad's (and probably Erik Robson's) design work, but what I was trying to say is that what I loved about that game is how it's design is rooted in that crazy heavy metal world with classes and units based on different music styles. I'm not sure how it came together, but it seems to me that it was designed primarily with the idea to create a coherent unique fantasy world, whereas Brad in Massive Chalice starts from a gamepay perspective (e.g we need a melee, ranged and hybrid class), adding narrative and context later. Combining Tim's creative crazy stuff with such a design centred approach could lead to some interesting results.

In the end I agree with CecilRousso that it would be great if Double Fine would develop another adventure game though. But if Tim wants a break with something different, he should definitely take it and come back strong in a few years. Man, I'm looking forward to Broken Age! And it's only a month away!

Nice, a release right on my birthday.

I expect a "Happy Birthday" for my money, Tim! ;)

I'm not kidding though.

*** Twiddles thumbs ***

Two weeks from today! Oh, to be a fly on the wall inside the Double Fine house of imagination.

Greg: * sweeps papers off desk* Lets do something new. I've got it, we bring to life a vivid steampunk interpretation of the lives and careers of Franz Ferdinand, in anime style, with like realtime music composing showdowns powered by fight-game combos!

Tim: Hey Justin, can we get the rights to Day of the Tentacle? We can bring that back in glorious 3D. Three Dees!

Oliver: I CAN NOT BELIEVE how crazy hard it is to solve these bugs on Vita. NO! WHAT!!! Can we just ship the game with some, like static character art instead of all these animations? No? Okay, nobody talk to me until Wednesday. I am going to need another 20 coffees.

Justin: (on phone) ... yeah, so you know, there's really not much of a strategic play in this thing any more for you guys. Of course! We can offer you a 90-10 split in revenue. Our way. Totes. It'll really be your "day" of you getting your "tentacles" into our revenue pie! You know what I'm saying?

Brad: "Caberjack" meets "Hipsterjack". Hmm. *strokes chin* What would those gnarly imaginary dudes get up to? Well you know we've talked about it, and I have these five rad scenarios...

Levi: Dude I am rocking these new sketches for the Full Throttle reboot! Rage, you wonderful biker monsters. RAGE!

Anna: Activision wants to publish Dear Leader for Xbox One? Er, like, I hope they will let us complete it with the themes and ideas that we originally intended. You remember it is a turn-based political strategy game set in 20th century USSR. They want what? A first person shooter set in the Euromaidan? I am really not too sure if I am cool with that!

Lee: I feel like your "Island" could use a little more "Monkey" in it, if you know what I mean? Let's get really simian with this thing. So, for all of these clouds in your background? They can have a monkey-like feel to them. Little round ears. And these lamp-posts? Bananas. We're bringing Monkey back.

Sign in to follow this