Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
lietu

Lowering expectations for DoubleFine

I'm sad to say that Starbase DF-9 has managed to significantly reduce my expectations for Double Fine products.

I got interested in the game back in the amnesia fortnight, and when it got on steam I bought it .. after having a few fun enough sessions with it ended with game breaking bugs, it seems both me and most of the other customers were thinking along the same lines: just fix the few game breaking bugs and it's great!

I gave it several months rest, thinking I'll give them time to fix things before I try it again, and I did try it again just recently. Instead of focusing on the game breaking issues, the dev team focused on adding new features that weren't really needed, and then they apparently (according to some other comments on this forum) they got laid off and a "final build" was shipped.

Supposedly it was with the source code (shoving any responsibility for making the game reasonably ok to the community), but it seems only a part of it was shipped as well (lua files, which were included at least with the amnesia fortnight version as well), and completely without any documentation.

I'm deeply disappointed with how Double Fine handled this promising new title, and it will affect my opinion and trust towards Double Fine for a long time to come.

Yeah, it was crazy how feature creep was seen more important than playability. Everyone's telling the same story, the game got worse to play with each patch.

Even in the very end DF tried to resort to artificial means to bring attention to the project, ceasing all communication about the progress so that the final version would be more newsworthy... which backfired massively and is the primary reason I can't forgive what they did. It's called lying (by omission) to lead the customers to believe one thing while the truth is the exact opposite of it.

The existing customers, people who had already paid for the game, were not important to the studio. Double Fine tried to attract new customers with the new features instead of focusing on the core gameplay and I believe this short sightedness caused the downfall. A solid game with good gameplay would've brought in more customers (and thus more money) than a bunch of unfinished and unrefined features.

It must be hurting, its all anybody talks about on their other products reviews/boards on steam. Their name is mud.

It must be hurting, its all anybody talks about on their other products reviews/boards on steam. Their name is mud.

Wow if some troll's newest clone-account says they have a bad reputation it must be true.

I mean clearly the phenomenal success of Broken Age, MASSIVE CHALICE, Grim Fandango Remastered (and the regaining of the Iron Brigade license, to boot) and the overwhelming interest in the gaming community for sequels to their other games clearly don't mean anything compared to a handful of haters from 4chan being upset that a game most of them never played didn't make enough money to be developed further than it has. :)

If you're stilll spreading slander over Spacebase at this point in time, please reassess your life's priorities and seek counseling.

And check out MASSIVE CHALICE, it's awesome.

If you're stilll spreading slander over Spacebase at this point in time, please reassess your life's priorities and seek counseling.

No doubt. :roll:

Less of the personal insults, please.

Oh, and if we could let threads that are a week old die without being resurrected for no reason, that'd be awesome too.

I know I won't buy a Double Fine game again, and won't be recommending them to friends or reviewing them on my blog or even talking about them again willingly after this post.

I know I won't buy a Double Fine game again, and won't be recommending them to friends or reviewing them on my blog or even talking about them again willingly after this post.

Those $5-$15 must have hit you really hard, if you're still angry.

single father of 3 on disability, so yeah I coulda used that money for something else, I buy 1 or 2 games when they go on sale every year. And grab the humble bundles. I bought this game when they put it on sale 1 week before dropping development.

Sorry about necroing an old post, it was on the front page so I assumed it was recent.

single father of 3 on disability, so yeah I coulda used that money for something else, I buy 1 or 2 games when they go on sale every year. And grab the humble bundles. I bought this game when they put it on sale 1 week before dropping development.

Sorry about necroing an old post, it was on the front page so I assumed it was recent.

So, when exactly did you buy that game? Considering that you felt the need to bump this thread now?

And how much did you spend on it?

Sign in to follow this