Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KestrelPi

Line that bugs me a little in first 12 minutes of Act 2 video

Hey,

Hoping that maybe one of the developers reads this and can comment and look into it, or clarify.

During the 12 minute video on IGN, when Vella looks at the console in Marek's area she says something like 'Looks like some kind of videogame'

While there's nothing about Vella's world that specifically suggests that they DON'T have video games, I don't recall seeing any screen technology in that world (outside of the Mogs themselves), or anything that would suggest the world is a place where video games are a thing, so to me the line seemed ... well, a little out of place. All the locations that are visited seem significantly lower tech than the kind of stuff found inside the spaceship environments.

Clearly because of end of Act 1 revelations the technology does EXIST in the world, but it doesn't seem like Vella ought to be aware of it, at least in the way it has been presented to us so far.

So, I thought maybe this line didn't belong, or maybe I'm reading the situation wrong, and this is a 'wait and see' thing. Not really a big deal, but if it is a mistake there's probably still time to switch it out for one of the generic lines.

Context probably matters the most in situations like this so I guess I'm saying it would be best to wait and see exactly what the context of that line is. Of course there could be plenty of context in the video but as I'm not going to watch it I'll never know.

It could also just be the goofy nature of the game. The game is intentionally ridiculous throughout, and this could just be part of it. I personally am not too worried.

I also think it's an out of place line without further context that makes sense of it, for the reasons you gave, KestrelPi.

I also think it's an out of place line without further context that makes sense of it, for the reasons you gave, KestrelPi.

Upcoming patch will add a Sinistar machine to Vella's house. (Unconfirmed rumor, started by me, just now.)

There are other references to technology in Act 2 so I don't think it's a mistake.

Gus asks Vella to drop him off at "the arcade" in Act 1. So there's some precedent that video games exist in Meriloft at least.

Vella also seems to know what a spaceship is when talking to Alex.

Gus asks Vella to drop him off at "the arcade" in Act 1. So there's some precedence that video games exist in Meriloft at least.

Vella also seemed to know what a spaceship was when talking to Alex.

Those things are true

It could also just be the goofy nature of the game. The game is intentionally ridiculous throughout, and this could just be part of it. I personally am not too worried.

Well, there's goofiness and then there's internal consistency, and I think you can have both. This isn't like, say, Monkey Island which very intentionally inserted lots of anachronisms into both the dialogue and the environments - as far as I can tell, Broken Age is supposed to be internally consistent. Right now the line seems out of place to me because we've seen no strong evidence of any modern technology in the lands Vella has visited, but it could be that it isn't out of place.

Similarly, there's a point in the video where Shay mentions Harm'ny by name, having not heard him referred to as anything but Brother Lightbeard. It's not enormously distracting, and I'm sure it has to do with the order in which dialogue is chosen; but at the same time, it threw me off a little.

All that said, everything looks incredible, and the rest of the video got me really excited to play the second act!

Gus asks Vella to drop him off at "the arcade" in Act 1.

Well that explains it right there.

Not necessarily... The original meaning of arcade is 'a covered passageway with arches along one or both sides'

Good point. I guess we'll see if part 2 shed's any light on it, or if removing that line is part of the polish they do for act 1.

They can likely manufacture steel, has a modern concepts like the Mayor. That guy who tries to run to be a mayor of his town has also a plastic bucket on his head. All these things point towards them having some sort of industry in their planet.

Also, maybe whatever appears on the screen resembles a game that is played in their society or in general. Also the word "game" has many meanings dating before the computerized gaming.

They can likely manufacture steel, has a modern concepts like the Mayor. That guy who tries to run to be a mayor of his town has also a plastic bucket on his head. All these things point towards them having some sort of industry in their planet.

Also, maybe whatever appears on the screen resembles a game that is played in their society or in general. Also the word "game" has many meanings dating before the computerized gaming.

okay, but she specifically says 'videogame'

And mayors and buckets were around loooong before video games.
And plastics! Although I don't remember anything in the dialogue specifying the bucket is plastic, as opposed to just wooden/metal and painted.

Incidentally, mayors date back to the 12th century, but even so I wouldn't find that particularly troubling because this is a fantasy world and mayor is just a title, not a technological concept. So we're going for internal consistency rather than historical accuracy.

For example, I wouldn't expect to find a giant killer death robot land if I went past the snake near the lumberjack's house, because nothing n the world has indicated that level of technology is accessible to ordinary people in the world (only the people in the world who have access to the fake spaceship technology, which seems to be disguised as monsters as far as most people are concerned. The dead eye pyramid is considered a strange relic rather than ordinary technology). And besides, if they DID have that kind of tech, those Mogs probably wouldn't have ever been a problem.

So to get to video games you have to assume that the general, non-mog populace at least have electricity (and electricity would likely have to be commonplace otherwise who would play them?), some sort of screen technology, computers, circuitry, unless it was all done by magic (and cloud platforms aside, we've seen no evidence of any magic like that).

Electricity they might have, the lights come on fast in Vella's house, but nothing else in it looked electronic. I didn't see any screens or machinery anywhere else, so that's why the line came across as inconsistent to me.

Not necessarily... The original meaning of arcade is 'a covered passageway with arches along one or both sides'

This thread is the most stereotypical nerd debate happening on DFAF right now.

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/i-wGBLPCx/0/1050x10000/i-wGBLPCx-1050x10000.jpg

Yeah, to me what is defined as what, or what order things came about in 'history' are kinda irrelevant, I brought it up more as a matter of internal consistency (see my above post)

Sign in to follow this