Sign in to follow this  
Spaff

We need your help to test the end-game!

With only 1 item slot, at least on Hard I rarely use wunderpants. I think they're important to stop level 10 heroes de-leveling, especially in the final battle, but other than that I prefer killing wrinklers and lapses to defending against them.

It's all about that bloodline xp momentum. If your losing it, or don't have it, Wunderpants, are, well, wonderful.

See I use them all the time--especially against wrinklers. If you have a bad battle against wrinklers they can seriously cripple one of your heirs to the regency.

Personally, I like having them early on, the main problem I have is that they are SO effective across the game. They combat the increased abilities of the Advanced Wrinklers and Lapses and I believe (because I haven't noticed this power at all) that they impact the Advanced Lapses cooldown ability.

I think they are a very valid strategy (I personally play to absorb damage rather than avoid), but they seem overpowered right now.

My analysis so far

Early game-Hard, reliant on keeping birthrates up, using mainly Hunters in combat. Caberjacks get ruined by Ruptures and Alchemists are just useless from lack of flasks so have to keep distance during combat

Late-Easy, birthrates still an issue but gernerally able to consistantly improve charactesr XP levels generation by generation. Combat made easy by excessive use of Shadowjacks

-Rebound and Stand ground, then sneak attack for problematic enemies

-Boneshell Armour(Take next to no damage)

-Sponge stone(Heal what damage you do take)

-Ramcap Cabers(Stunlock problematic enemies)

By comparison i'm scared to use hunters because enemies can destroy them with a few hits, and alchemists are still useless b/c they still have next to no flasks

The main issue with the game is the lack of balance between the classes, the only reason I have hunters is to breed more shadowjacks, and i forget why i care about alchemists...

My analysis so far

Early game-Hard, reliant on keeping birthrates up, using mainly Hunters in combat. Caberjacks get ruined by Ruptures and Alchemists are just useless from lack of flasks so have to keep distance during combat

Late-Easy, birthrates still an issue but gernerally able to consistantly improve charactesr XP levels generation by generation. Combat made easy by excessive use of Shadowjacks

-Rebound and Stand ground, then sneak attack for problematic enemies

-Boneshell Armour(Take next to no damage)

-Sponge stone(Heal what damage you do take)

-Ramcap Cabers(Stunlock problematic enemies)

By comparison i'm scared to use hunters because enemies can destroy them with a few hits, and alchemists are still useless b/c they still have next to no flasks

The main issue with the game is the lack of balance between the classes, the only reason I have hunters is to breed more shadowjacks, and i forget why i care about alchemists...

To make Brewtalists?

I'll admit that flask cap can be problematic. Having unlimited flasks seems like it'd be a problem (at their current damage). A bonus +1 flask ever even level obtained might be nice, then your Alchemists don't become quite as ineffective due to the ammunition problem.

I'm finally getting to try out 0.96 a bit! Normal difficulty, Ironman, up to about year 60. A few thoughts:

Dang, Cradles are brutal; I just recorded my second-ever loss across 70 hours of playing the beta, and the only other one was because of some ridiculously fluky luck. Aside from them having a tremendous amount of HP and damage, you're basically guaranteed to take a bunch of damage from the seeds that spawn. I'm actually not super intimidated by the prospect of Advanced ones yet though, because a lot of the difficulty stems from them appearing when your Alchemists are still kinda crap. (One of mine sealed his fate by whiffing a range 2 throw, tossing the potion straight up in the air and sending it crashing down on his own head.) A few more levels will make them much more reliable at cleaning out seeds and landing knockback-bomb stuns.

What does Weapon Training affect, class-wise? Accuracy, damage, or both? I'd almost rather flatten out unit accuracy across the course of the game and just leave HP & Damage as your signs of progression.

I'm really struggling to diversify my playthroughs. This game, I'm pushing for 6 keeps using 6 different families - I like to double up on Alchies and Cabers, and while I only need 1 keep worth of Hunters, I hate their hybrids. That's mostly for novelty's sake though, and it also takes for freaking ever because of the escalating building costs. More than anything though, I'm really settling into a rut on the strategy layer. My research pattern barely varies from game to game, region defense is based more on the state of the board than the value of locations. The game just isn't providing enough nudges to push me out of my routine - you've got region bonuses, and... that's pretty much it.

I'm hoping that the event pool gets expanded over time (even post 1.0), but I'm also wondering if it could benefit from some structure. I'm imaging it split into three sets of categories - early game events (Year 0-150) mid-game events (Year 100-250) and late-game events (Year 200-300), with each group having different stakes and focuses. Earlier events would be more formative, representing the rise of the kingdom - helpful traits & personalities appear to be nurtured, regions change or gain bonuses - and later events would become more catastrophic as the Cadence threat escalates.

Or framed a different way, my Sagewright's guild getting suddenly blown up by an event is a threat to be dealt with in year 180, but I'm flat-out resetting if it happens in year 60 when I just finished building the damn thing. Likewise, a free relic from an event is a godsend in year 30, and total garbage in year 250. Separating these into different categories of events allows you to shape the flow of the game, and it also means you have a better estimation of the player's state when you're designing the risks & consequences of the event.

I do appreciate the creation of research credits, and they could probably be pushed even further to shape gameplay. Could they be incorporated as a battle reward? Frequently, battle rewards are mostly a "while I'm at it" sort of thing for me, since I'm more concerned with the math of strikes than the trophy I get at the end, but making them coupons for a specific research option would raise the stakes a bit and potentially entice me to go a different direction from usual.

Just wanted to pop in to say that I've been doing my usual min/max + scavesumming testing on hard to see how fast I can get to level 10 trainees. This time it took me until year 200 to get my first 15-year-old level 10 hero. I certainly made some strategic mistakes here, but generally I played pretty optimally. I don't think it's possible to get level 10 trainees much faster than year 200 anymore, which I think is a vast improvement to the level curve. Experienced players will be able to get level 10s reliably before year 300, but it's difficult to do without making it an explicit priority. Contrast this to earlier versions, where it was trivially easy.

Great job guys! I think this is right where it ought to be.

Its getting close, I can feel it. I look forward to being able to dig into MC in the near-ish future...

Smiles