Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AmnesiaDecade

I want Costume Quest 3

I don't think Costume Quest 2 did all that well really, if SteamSPY is to be believed it's actually the worst selling Double Fine game of recent years, just compare:

Costume Quest

Owners: 384,321 ± 21,304

Costume Quest 2

Owners: 23,170 ± 5,235

And to throw other Double Fine games into the mix:

Broken Age

Owners: 238,811 ± 16,799

Grim Fandango Remastered

Owners: 79,089 ± 9,670

Psychonauts

Owners: 1,020,738 ± 34,671

The Cave

Owners: 218,421 ± 16,066

Brütal Legend

Owners: 981,811 ± 34,006

Stacking

Owners: 354,663 ± 20,467

Massive Chalice

Owners: 33,057 ± 6,252

Spacebase DF-9

Owners: 110,909 ± 11,451

I don't think Costume Quest 2 did all that well really, if SteamSPY is to be believed it's actually the worst selling Double Fine game of recent years, just compare:

You can't say that for sure using SteamSPY, though. It's meant to give you a rough idea of how a game has been doing on Steam, but it can't actually tell you how well a game sold overall or what its sales figures were actually like. All that it does is crawl though X number of random publicly-viewable Steam profiles checking for ownership of the game, and then it tallies them up.

It doesn't account for all platforms.

It only accounts for Steam. Costume Quest 2 was available on more platforms than CQ1, so with all other platforms considered, it's entirely possible that CQ2 outperformed CQ1, despite the steam numbers.

It doesn't account for shelf life.

If you're comparing CQ1's numbers to CQ2's numbers, you can't compare those numbers as if both games just came out yesterday. CQ1 has had five years to sell its copies. CQ2 has only had six months. In order to do a fair comparison, you would have to know what CQ1's numbers were like at about the 6-month mark after its release and use that number.

It doesn't account for sales.

For example, CQ1 might have more owners because it was included in a couple of Humble Bundles (or similar bundle sales) that CQ2 was not. That might mean that a bunch of the people who own CQ1 didn't even want it, but just happened to acquire it in a bundle. It also means that a lot of them could have paid like a nickel for it. So even if the ownership numbers on Steam are higher, it doesn't necessarily mean that CQ1 made drastically more money than CQ2.

The jury is still out as to whether the numbers SteamSPY crunches are actually useful.

True, but it is still useful in gauging how much of an interest there is on one of the biggest platform around. Costume Quest 2 has low numbers, and yet it has been out longer than Grim Fandango, which on Steam alone here, has already shot right past it and appears to be doing quite well, that's NOT taking into account other platforms, Grim Fandango also had quite some promotion on the PlayStation platforms as well as good reviews, which Costume Quest 2 did not. Costume Quest 2 seems to be hurt from a lot of views on the game as well, I'm sure most of the issues have been patched and fixed by now, but a lot of reviewers were calling into question some of the gameplay changes which made the game more boring, more difficult and annoying for the sake of it, etc.

So yeah, fair assumption really, Costume Quest 2 bombed quite badly.

It is good for an educated guess, but any information you gather from SteamSPY and any conclusions you draw based on that information must be taken with a large grain of salt. In all PROBABILITY, there is some truth to what you're saying, but it's important to remember that we don't actually know.

It's like you're trying to gauge how much total money an author's new book made just by checking the quantity of copies sold at only Barnes&Noble; stores.

That information isn't entirely meaningless, but it omits more than it tells.

I want it too but ... i want it to feature a more "grown up"/good/interesting/clever/humorous/... story instead of this boring childlike clicking away thing. I want it to be DRM free and that strategical choices slightly (here and there) matter some more plus some more puzzles too (those hidden paths were fun).

And i would like to be able to skate in the game.

It's not all about the money. If it were, Double Fine would be in an industry that makes more money, like ball bearings ... or weapons manufacturing.

Costume Quest 3 confirmed.
If there's a CQ3, I'm ready to work on it!

You're closer to Tim's office than I am, could you please slide a sticky note under his door with 'Costume Quest 3' written on it, to plant the seed Bert? ; )

CQ was also really more of a console gamer's game. I don't even remember whether the PC release of the first happened at the same time as the console releases. That's where it got its biggest following.

That said, I think that sales were probably disappointing, probably not helped by the fact that there were some delays in getting it out on some platforms due to certification problems (it only just made it out on EU PS4). But anyway, I think probably it made its numbers. It reviewed decently and came out in time for halloween in the major territories.

Just wait for that first CQ1 + CQ2 bundled Halloween sale. Ka-ching. ;-)

It's not all about the money. If it were, Double Fine would be in an industry that makes more money, like ball bearings ... or weapons manufacturing.

Woah. I hate to call you naive, but yeah, for any company it IS all about the money. I'm not saying DF would sell their souls to the devil for a wad of cash, but they DO have to make money... otherwise they can't exist. That's the very basis for every company on the planet.

Former DFers Skillman and Hackett make Tiltbrush. Tiltbrush is painting in Three Dimensions. Google buys Tiltbrush.

Skillman credited on Costume Quest and Costume Quest 2.

Costume Quest and Costume Quest 2 takes place in alternate Dimensions.

Three. Dimensions.

Costume Quest Three confirmed.

Former DFers Skillman and Hackett make Tiltbrush. Tiltbrush is painting in Three Dimensions. Google buys Tiltbrush.

Skillman credited on Costume Quest and Costume Quest 2.

Costume Quest and Costume Quest 2 takes place in alternate Dimensions.

Three. Dimensions.

Costume Quest Three confirmed.

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/203/685/conspiracy-keanu.jpg

It'd be great to have CQ3 these days, the Halloween season has brought me here honestly, but sadly I see nothing points to a new sequel, I'd make do with a DLC if there was one

Here's a good question... Does Majesco still currently hold a role in Costume Quest 2? It's impossible to find out what they're doing these days and there hasn't been any signs of life from Midnight City.

Given Majesco's financial troubles, I doubt we'll see Midnight City funding again.

Just wait for that first CQ1 + CQ2 bundled Halloween sale. Ka-ching. ;-)

If they can give me a boxed copy (IndieBox for the win!), I would buy several copies.

I'd wager a lot depends on how the Frederator 'Costume Quest' animated short turns out. If someone gets excited about making more toons then it'll be easier to make more games too. DF has been getting friendly with Adult Swim (Headlander game). Possibilities?

I really hope we see more, and with a bigger budget, because CQ has become a major part of my Halloween spirit in recent years.

I would love another Costume Quest game. The second one was pretty solid, but I feel like there are still a bunch of places you could go with the series. I'd definitely love to see that story continue sometime in the future.

As for the sales numbers. I imagine these games could be "evergreen games" as Justin Bailey would put it, especially once it starts getting into bundles.

I'd actually prefer Costume Quest 4 instead of 3. The story is much better.

Sign in to follow this