Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cengared

Playtesters required!

Hello there

I'm looking for people who would be willing to play the short game/demo that I helped create as part of a group project of my university course. It's a zombie/horror game with the simple goal of trying to find your way out. The demo was created with Unity so you may need to download & install the Unity web player to play the game.

Game link: http://goo.gl/sgZbYI

Feedback link: http://goo.gl/forms/fpiBqLIQMI

Thanks.

Invisible walls, rocket jumps, falling through floors.

First zombie encounter was a bit difficult trying to find the right zone, doesnt always animate an attack so you die in seconds if too close. In the underground part zombies are easy to dispose of, just let em follow you, close door, zombie gets stuck in door, kill.

I think I went through about 15 rooms or so in the underground before I gave up

I know it's not really very good and it has a lot of issues. But we really need any feedback at all, positive and negative so please just try it for a little bit and fill out the form. Got until Sunday before this stuff needs to be collated and talked about so any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

Here's my impressions:

I gave the game a go and I think it has some potential though a lot needs to be improved.

The performance is incredibly patchy on this old-ish laptop. (Though that's more due to unity as an engine itself rather than you guys. Wasteland 2 runs like a dog on this laptop. Even after performance updates)

As for design, I think the title lacks in the sense of suspense.

I think you all did a pretty decent job with the opening scene (though I'd argue it needs a little fleshing out to make the fake floor falling a bit more impactful. You as a player have just fallen through an entire floor. That's not something that one just brushes off you know! Well.. unless the lower floor is made of incredibly soft cushions...). It looks nice, but the underground section is incredibly samey, and the doors are a little too chunky and undefinined with the wooden walls. (and the fall part is pretty glitchy, (I bounced up and down like a yoyo!) Along with the enemies generally getting stuck in the floor and the air) It does drag on after a while even with a good sprinkling of assets. Remember: A maze doesn't necessarily have to be grid-like. (Nice job on the Moosehead in the crib though. That gave me a good chuckle. I think in the right scenario that could have been a good suspense building scare but the buildup to support it isn't there yet)

I think a large part of the dullness comes from a lack of environment sounds. The initial environment tune sounds good but it endlessly repeats and gets annoying rather than suspense-building. Some variation on it could improve that (doesn't need to be as loud as it is all the time). I think maybe having music/environmental sounds could be improved by having them attatched to invisible objects and placed in the room, triggered by the player entering the room. Put some fakeouts in to keep them guessing. The zombies could do with some noise as well. (maybe a little groaning, some scraping/light banging, something to mix in with environment sounds to keep the player guessing).

As for the combat, it's really basic. Basic CAN work, but there's no sense of weight to it. No risk to your movements that can be punished. It's just: "click click click click. Zombie ded. Wait to heal. Go on" and even that's quite glitchy. A good part of why a classic survival horror like Resident Evil worked, was that you only had a limited amount of health in the game. You had to conserve your health and your herbs else you'd get stuck and that made it suspensful because as a player you're always guessing on whether you can survive the next encounter. These zombies just don't have any sense of danger to them at all. Infact I kind of feel sorry for them. They were just having a good time and a crazy madman with an axe has just crashed their party and they're just trying to get him to go away by shooing him (to death). Maybe some in-game lore/explanation/context would help set up the scene a bit and a little more AI variety and enemy types could go a long way for the combat.

Overall though, you've built something in Unity. That's more then a lot of people can do. Congratulations. Keep up the hard work!

Keep up the good work mind. Rome wasn't built in a day afterall. :)

Edit: I would also suggest to look at a bunch of horror games like Amnesia, Resident Evil remake, PT, Eternal Darkness, Silent Hill, or Project Zero and just see how they implement their scares. Make some notes. Sometimes simple things they do can achieve big effects. Don't necessesarily have to play those games but at least watch them in action.

Thanks for the response. And it's too late to make any changes now but all advice can be taken on regarding future projects and how we should have handled this project better.

Sorry to keep asking about this but it'll only be until Saturday/Sunday.

If you're having trouble with the online version and still would like to try out the game then download the appropriate distribution files (which means the windows or mac version) from here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mdje2d8bq3g9aib/AACFa4-VuT4lrCXjngAyZZC4a?dl=0 - each zip file is about 400mb and will need about 1.1gb of space when unpacked.

Sign in to follow this