Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mosher

Steam Reviews Appear Negative

If you haven't noticed the reviews for Broken Age on Steam appear to be almost entirely negative, despite the fact they are mostly positive. It appears all of the negative reviews have been massively recommend by people unhappy with Double Fine for whatever reason. Why not take a few minutes to recommend a few helpful positive reviews, so people checking Broken Age out at Act II's release get a fuller picture. And please recommend reviews that are actually helpful instead of just doing a counter up-vote bomb and up-voting everything (plus there's no way you'd have time to recommend the 3,202 positive reviews).

Yeah, unfortunately it's possible to completely sabotage the feedback on steam by this method, and not much can be done

Yeah. Though I've noticed more positive reviews have moved to the top group of helpful reviews. So recommendations can at least turn it around a little.

This is a problem with a lot of review-reviewing systems - Netflix has it too. In practice, people don't vote for whether the review is helpful or not, only with whether they agree with it, which is a completely redundant system.

EDIT: and I've just noticed Steam only lets you see positive *helpful* reviews, which is apparently only about 20 out of the thousands there. So all it takes if for a few unhelpful votes and a review can never be seen again? What the F?

Sigh. There's plenty of issues with Steam. They're resting on their laurels because they're the dominant platform with no real competition. Just look how terrible the card trading system is, or just the trading system in general. Or the unbelievably bad UI. Or the inability to quickly compare achievements with all your friends. It's a mess on many levels (it's only really good at quickly buying, downloading and playing games) but it's all we have at the moment. I really wish someone at Valve gave a shit about bringing it into this century.

One day...

Pretty sure I've written my BROKEN AGE review, but if not I'll add it soon.

In theory it could be possible that games also get bad feedback because, don't be shocked, they actually are bad. Most of the time of course this isn't true. Even if games' sales bomb afterwards, the dev and the fans were right and someone else is to blame, like ... winter time.

In theory it could be possible that games also get bad feedback because, don't be shocked, they actually are bad. Most of the time of course this isn't true. Even if games' sales bomb afterwards, the dev and the fans were right and someone else is to blame, like ... winter time.

Double fine has suffered from this before, and I've seen it with other developers too. It's pretty obvious that its mostly disgruntled people that don't reflect the game most of the time.

As always, looking at the source of reviews is important. Sometimes Metacritic is helpful to find mostly honestly reviews, sometimes not.

Smiles

Like with everything you consume, it's wise to know something about the source.

Sometimes i found Metacritic helpful as a starting point for digging into the subject of older games which weren't on your radar for some reasons and then going on your own.

People voting the game down because they're crying over some imagined crime Tim/DF committed. Not a true assessment of the game in most cases.

Anyway.

I don't think it would be fair to say that Steam is "resting on its laurels" and not listening to feedback just because they're the dominant system. It wasn't too long ago when they came out with a new version of steam that introduced the new front page, the new recommendation queue system, the curator system, and so on. Some of the new things they added are kinda lukewarm (e.g. curator system), but some of the other things they added addressed very specific criticisms the previous Steam had been receiving and the new steam is overall actually better, providing more discoverability and raising profits for individual games. Is there still room for improvement? Yes, but there is always room for improvement.

ON THE OTHER HAND

I hate, and have always hated, the reddit style voting system. The echo-chamber problem and the filter-bubble problem it creates are serious and known issues, and yet increasingly sites are adopting this kind of system.

I really wish they would not. It would honestly be better if default displayed reviews just showed you X number of random positive reviews and X number of random negative reviews, without any reference to whether other people have given that review a thumbs up or thumbs down.

I realize that the thumbs up/down system for reviewing reviews was an attempt to keep stupid three-word joke reviews from rising to the top, but it doesn't work, and they do rise to the top (because internet), and the thumb system isn't helpful (and sometimes even detrimental) for a lot of reasons, so the whole helpful/unhelpful thumb system for reviewing reviews either needs to go away or not factor into which reviews hit the game's front page at all.

Like most rating systems, I think it'd be better to simply hide the more specific numbers. They are almost always misleading. Like thinking a person is cool because they have over a thousand facebook friends...

The fact that the emotional reviews have just as many up-votes as the fair reviews tells us that people generally don't care whether or not they're actually "helpful". Instead, they decide whether they like the game or not and then mass up-vote or down-vote. All the system does is bias the results toward the opinions of people who are themselves "unhelpful".

This wouldn't be a problem if most of the reviews for Broken Age were negative anyway. But there are currently 3,226 positive reviews and only 810 negative. In other words, there are about 4 times as many positive reviews as negative. 80% of the people that took the time to play and evaluate the game liked it. I think that should be more apparent to the users.

The voting system is making the minority look like it's the majority by saying that the minority's reviews are the most "helpful".

These days I'd rather read negative reviews for reasons NOT to buy something, but I do wish like on Amazon they'd post the most helpful positive review alongside the negative one.

Sign in to follow this