Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
felipepepe

Taumel's full refund

I didn't want to come back here, but I e-mailed Spaff about this and got no reply, again, so here we go.

Last year I asked for a refund in the backer forums (http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/12416/), after I thought that Act 1 was nothing like was promised and that I had no interest in Act 2 or anything related to this project anymore. I explained that I knew it was not the usual policy, but asked:

I understand that “old-school” and “classic” are subjective concepts. I can’t do anything to force a refund, but I can ask nicely and hope for comprehension on your side.

The result was a witch-hunt from forum members who had nothing to do with the issue, followed by a denial of my request, and then by Tim Schafer literally calling me a jerk in DF's documentary. Yeah, not the most professional way to take a refund request guys, one would expect a bit more of respect for a person who believed in you and pledged $110 of his hard-earned money to help you when you needed.

Now, the reason I'm back here is that just last week Spaff the administrator issued a full refund to a guy called Taumel, because he was antagonizing people and being very vocal about his disappointment, as you can see here: http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/16768/P15/

So, what's Double Fine's criteria here?

I politely ask for a partial refund on the backer forums, get denied, dog-pilled and called a jerk.

A guy acts like a jerk in your forums, he gets offered a full refund to go away.

Is this really the message you want to send? That only those who make enough noise will get the a refund? I've been very disappointed by Double Fine lately, but I think you are smarter than this. So, one last time, can I please get a refund?

PS: After the events last year, I will not reply to anyone except DF's staff. This is between me and DF, no one else has any say in it. The only reason this is here is because I e-mailed DF and got no reply. Again.

I don't know if it was there originally, or how recently it was edited if that wasn't the case, but you might want to check Spaff's post again. Says they're not issuing general refunds and that it was a very special case

In case you missed it in the link you provided:

————————————————————————————————

IMPORTANT EDIT If you are here because you saw a link elsewhere that we are giving refunds, and you want to mail us about being disappointed also, this was a very special case, so please don’t.

We are NOT issuing general refunds for Broken Age. Thanks.

————————————————————————————————

Case closed.

Case closed.

No offense, but I'd like to hear that from Spaff or another admin.

If I'm special enough to get called a jerk by Tim Schafer in the documentary, I think I'm special enough to get a refund. You know, publicly shaming me while keeping my money is a bit unfair. If you want to cut ties, then at least have the decency to go all the way.

No offense, but I'd like to hear that from Spaff or another admin.

Once again, from Spaff, on behalf of Double Fine:

Which is of course; fair. You don't take a game back to the store because you 'didn't like it' or the developer. Same principle.

Once again, from Spaff, on behalf of Double Fine:

Which is of course; fair. You don't take a game back to the store because you 'didn't like it' or the developer. Same principle.

Yes, except that very post has Spaff issuing a full refund, so there are exceptions.

Also, you don't publicly call a customer a jerk because he didn't like your game, but here we are...

Aren't you the one that publicly admitted he was going to troll the Massive Chalice community because of the discussion to involve same sex marriage? This is a forum, buddy, time to learn consequences.

that very post has Spaff issuing a full refund, so there are exceptions.

No, it tells taumel to get in touch so they can see what they can do, if he wants one (which was never said).

I personally hope that, if taumel does end up requesting a refund, he is not allowed one against policy simply because he acted so poorly on the forums.

Also, on account of the fact that the full product is in fact being delivered next week I think it would be inappropriate at this stage to offer refunds.

But hey, ever so glad you found an excuse to make it back to the forums. We've missed you awfully.

@felipepepe

I didn't ask for a refund.

All i ever wanted was a great adventure, which i haven't received so far but i got a great shirt (everyone in our family has grown out of the size already though :o) and a poster which i framed and got its place. We're talking here about what went right and what went wrong from different points of views and in my opinion it's okay to be brutal honest here, state your opinion and get emotional as well (mature people can deal with that) but due to the nature of the project and the cool stuff i got already, i wouldn't ask for a refund (I could ask Garriott though).

So, if i would seriously consider a refund, i would contact support and write a reasonable and polite mail, like

"You suckers, how dare you ..."

Or, on a second try

"Dear Mr. Schafer, i wanted to ask if you already had the pleasure to taste the delicious marmalade we've sent you ..."

:

The reason people turned on you is because of things like this:

cyY16D4.png

And as has just been revealed, Taumel did not get a refund.

I think the problem with your request is that it is entirely subjective.

For your money (I don't know how much you pledged, I'll presume it's $15) you get the documentary and a game (half now, half later for free).

There was a lot of backlash when the game was released, mainly due to the misconception on why it was split in two, so maybe your request got lost in all of the shouting.

I seem to remember that he said that he pledged a lot more than $15, which was part of the reason that he was upset.

Based on the wording in his post, I assumed that he had spoken to Taumel and gotten confirmation that Taumel had received a refund. But no.

I have your email Felipepepe, and I will get to it, there's just rather a lot going on at the moment. Sorry getting back to you in a timely manner.

I'm a strong believer in good customer service, and people being able to get things like refunds when they are not happy --if it is at all reasonable for that to happen -- and I'll definitely see what can be done for you.

FYI though -- you backed a crowdfunding campaign which comes with inherent risks by its very nature, and you knew that going into it.

You also backed a project that promised a game would go into production which would either "be great or fail spectacularly" along with a documentary series that would follow the team from start to finish.

I'm sorry that the game was not a thing you ended up liking (even though you've only played the first part) As far as what we set out to do however, we have achieved it. Your argument that the content of the game is not what was promised is besides the point. In your mind it was a failure, and so the goals of the kickstarter were met.

Also, in the case of Taumel, I merely asked him to put his money where his mouth was, so to speak, or to leave us in peace.

We then had a very civil discussion about it, and I very much appreciated his attitude and decision in this matter.

I see no reason to keep this thread alive, I'll talk to Felipepepe over email, thanks!