Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Spaff

$100 backers: What kind of Big Box shall we make?

What kind of Big box shall we make?  

1,064 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of Big box shall we make?

• Vertical (Day of the Tentacle style)
    • Horizontal (Full Throttle style)

This is a poll for people who backed at $100 and above.

We can't restrict which backers vote in this, but we'd like to ask you to please not vote on this poll if you did not back at $100

Thank you! :)

Step one: please watch this video of Tim explaining the options

wjDrHTOD1P8

Step two: vote above!

Only one kind of box can be made, so the winner of this poll will be the one!

Note that whichever way around the box art is, we'll do our best to make the side match the other boxes :)

I voted vertical, but because I'm an entitled, precocious thing, I'm going to add a stipulation in the form of a question -- can the box be in two pieces, rather than have a frustratingly difficult-to-open top? I don't know exactly what the price difference would be there, but I think it would go a long way towards keeping the box 1) looking nice and 2) consistent with the design of the old-school adventure game boxes.

That Full Throttle box used to drive me nuts since they clearly go on the shelf vertically. :D

I voted vertical, but because I'm an entitled, precocious thing, I'm going to add a stipulation in the form of a question -- can the box be in two pieces, rather than have a frustratingly difficult-to-open top? I don't know exactly what the price difference would be there, but I think it would go a long way towards keeping the box 1) looking nice and 2) consistent with the design of the old-school adventure game boxes.

no matter the orientation of the art work, the box will be a 2 part thing like all the old boxes were. :)

Triangular tube, like Day of the Tentacle! I couldn't help but look left onto Tim's shelf and just kind of ignore the other boxes.

Edit: I voted vertical, but I want to change my vote to horizontal. :<

I chose horizontal because I keep picturing the split image of Vella and Shay on the cover. But I'll be happy with whatever is decided.

I've got to go with vertical, but I'd like to second the request for a 2 part box! Being able to open the box without worrying about creasing the top would be nice, and would also be a great throwback to the design of game boxes from the 80's and 90's.

Any chance we could see the art first to see how good it might look horizontal?

I voted vertical but I'm not sure.

First time posting! Avoiding spoilers. And lurking a little. :)

I voted for a horizontal box, but (full disclosure) I don't have any of the old boxes there for me to match (I'm a fairly recent PC gaming convert). I think even if I did have the other boxes, it would matter more to me to have the orientation that matches the art better.

I am also an animator, so I suppose I'm artistically accustomed to widescreen orientation.

Any chance we could see the art first to see how good it might look horizontal?

I voted vertical but I'm not sure.

He talked about the "main art for the game" with Shay and Vella leaning against the tree. I believe the art he's referring to is one you're familiar with, because it's your forum avatar.

2459361-9878604255-keyar.jpg

Vertical! so it matches my monkey island 2 box (the only one that has survived all these years), now I just need to find an Amiga to play my old MI2 game on!

Voted horizontal, because while it's standing in the shelf it doesn't matter so much to me. The spine looks like every other game.

Just look at the video, you can't even tell that Full Throttle is different when it stands in midst of all the other games.

But when you take it out of the shelf you can look at the great artwork... And the great artwork of Broken Age is what I want.

I voted horizontal. Yes, it may not quite fit with the rest of the boxes, but the art Tim talked about is clearly designed to be viewed horizontally.

I voted Horizontally, because, lamentably, I don't have any of the old game boxes, so would love to have one that is more unique, since it will be proudly displayed by its lonesome self.

What about a box with Horizontal on one side and Vertical on the other? The side of the box could be made to look appropriately regardless I would think... then again I haven't a creative bone in my body, so I just enjoy other peoples work!

Horizontal. While partially motived by the fact I don't have many vertical boxes... I also just think it's a better fit for the art. And as others have said, on the shelf the spine will look no different.

Octagonal tubes are the way of the future.

Sadly they're not an option, so horizontal is my preferred choice - when it's stacked with other boxes it doesn't matter, but I want the art to look its best when the front is on display.

Horizontal! As others have said, it makes the most sense for the artwork, and it really doesn't matter when it's lined up on a shelf anyway.

I vote for Horizontal as that would be the more logical display choice for the art that I am hoping will be displayed on the front of the box.

Do what fits the style you want! I voted horizontal because you want it horizontal! This poll is way too close!

I am partial to horizontal, as long as there is a name on the spine when placed vertically on a shelf (like the full throttle box). If it is not too pricey, a two piece box would be great. Looking forward to it! :-)

I prefer vertical.

Without a reference to graphics it is hard to comment on which would be better.

Not voting because I didn't do this tier, but come on: Tim wants the horizontal so badly. It'll look beautiful, you KNOW what it'll look like that way.