Sign in to follow this  
Spaff

$100 backers: What kind of Big Box shall we make?

What kind of Big box shall we make?  

1,064 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of Big box shall we make?

• Vertical (Day of the Tentacle style)
    • Horizontal (Full Throttle style)

He does seem to suggest that the only reason their considering vertical is so it would match with the other boxes. I'm not the kind of person who really cares about their collection looking standardized, so I'm voting horizontal. It seems like that's what would be best for this particular game.

Generally speaking, a vertical box seems more natural to me.

But, this is a big box special edition sort of deal, so horizontal to get more of the fine details in the art would be nice.

Similar to how a lot of PSN jRPGs do it.

I'm not voting since I didn't back at this tier, but if I did my choice would easily be horizontal!

Voting horizontal cause they look the same when on the shelf, but you get the 'widescreen' view of the art in hand.

Also, whole box lift off lid/2 part box, rather than tabbed end. Hate trying to pry the flaps open.

Also the nordic games box is vertical. Horizontal for collectors edition.

(where can I pre-order the nodic games box in north america? I thought they were distributing to North America, not getting a pegi rated import?)

With a vote this close there is only one answer.. why not both? Horizontal on one side, vertical on the other!

After thought, this box is the closest we're getting to a print... so horizontal seems the best way to go.

I did not vote in the poll since I didn't back at a high enough tier, but my opinions are Incredibly Valuable so I'll say I think horizontal will look nice, and as long as the side panel is standard then it'll still look just fine on a shelf. (Which I think was Tim's intent in the video?)

Not an easy decision, and I watched the video twice to help me decide. Great video, way more entertaining and funny than necessary! I'd be OK either way. It sounds like you have an artwork in mind, and you think it would be ideally suited for a horizontal box (perhaps it would be more apt to say landscape vs. portrait). But maybe you'd go with a different artwork that would look great on a vertical box. I'd like to see you make the best box you can, and if that means breaking from tradition then do it. If Double Fine thinks the horizontal box is best, then do it. If the vertical box would be perfect for the artwork you decide you want on the box, then do that. I'm casting my vote for horizontal because it sounds like you want that piece on the box and think it would be better horizontal, but my vote is really for making the best work of art you can, and not being held back by adherence to tradition. Besides, there is the historical precedent of Full Throttle, unanimously recognized as a true member of the repertory, and so a horizontal box is a less popular but still authentic strain of tradition that goes back to the olden days. If you come up with a box design that you think is definitely superior either vertically or horizontally, that's how I want my vote counted.

I'm looking at two large versions of the artwork Tim mentioned. I assume the more "painterly" one is the one being considered, rather than this one. Well, it actually doesn't look like a horizontal image so much as two vertical ones! It's very bifurcated and the two images do not cleanly blend together. What it is, is a diptych! If this artwork is on the box, here's how I want it presented. I want the box to be folded like a book. On the outside, vertical front and back cover. But the box folds open upon it's side to reveal this image. The fold would be perfect for it. Behind each image could be a sleeve. Game on one side, on the other side instruction manual and papers (folded poster, code wheel, etc.) Ideally, that's how I want it. Like a folder. I can't recall any boxes like this that are classic big size, but there is at least one classic adventure game precedent I recall: my Fallout games came in a box the size of about two jewel CD cases on top of each other that unfolded to the size of two jewel CD cases side-by-side, held together by the cardboard hinge. It did have flaps. I'd probably rather not have flaps unless they're not intended to be opened.

I voted for vertical, but I want you to make it vertical, either "folder-style" like I described or with a front flap like you see on many cardboard PC game boxes nowadays, typically held closed by a velcro tab and to opened to read more about the game than the designer could put on the back cover. If you won't present the art across "two vertical faces", each the size of the box face, and insist on cramming the artwork onto one side of the box then unless the image is modified horizontal will work better than vertical, because the diptych is two paired portrait (vertical) digital paintings presented side by side. But I would rather you not do that. It would be better if the box was vertical and you split the image in two. One side the tree by the bay, the other side of the vertical box the space ship. Turn the box over and see the other side. Or put two boxes side by side and see them together. Don't cover the images with text, although a tastefully added title would be OK but is not required as the title is on the side of the box. This would also emphasize the "Broken" Age, two ages connected and parallel but apart. On each side of the box. You can unite them, but they are separate pieces (united only by pairing two boxes or by cutting up and destroying one box). Those are two ways to present the artwork on the box that I think are a lot better than a horizontal box with artwork only on one side. Either way would be more graphically interesting, more artistically compelling, and more engaging to look at, so I'm voting vertical.

Now the next question: to shrink-wrap or not? Looks good on Tim's beautiful collectibles but then I'd be tempted to not open it! (But I'd probably do it anyway and enjoy it like it is meant to be.) So maybe better not to be sealed...

I now see that if I'm ever a lead designer of games I'm going to have to get half a dozen copies apiece and put them in storage. Years later I would present my children with their own sealed copies of the game to open, to fully experience my work as the original audience did when I made it for them.

Horizontal, I want to be able to display it as decoration, not tuck it away hidden on a shelf. (and tbh I think I threw all my old game boxes out at some point and that was a mistake)

I went vertical. Though I'm still disappointed. Where's the triangle box option? I think we're entitled to a pyramid!

My vote is for the vertical box, but perhaps with some kind of a flip-cover; either for the two different sides of the key art image and/or for vertical/horizontal image.

I don't think anything like this has been done on a cardboard game box yet, so now is your chance to make history Double Fine!

Seeing as most of my 200+ games in boxes are vertical, so is my Pillars of Eternity Collectors box (without a disk in it), and my Wasteland 2 box is an amo crate...I vote vertical

Definitely horizontal because of the art! And when the box is in the shelf with other (vertical) boxes there is no difference.

Btw, I immediately thought of the box of Afterlife, this would be an interesting option too! (horizontal of course)

I was all ready to come on and vote Vertical, but after seeing the video, and knowing the artwork is better suited to a wide perspective, have to vote Vertical, err, I mean Horizontal!

Wish there was a third choice for Vertizontal. Why can't we have the best of both worlds?! Broken age, my ass. More like Broken Game Box. ;)

You know what. I've come up with an even better idea than Vertizontal, and one that may actually work in our physical dimension.

How about we have a holographic front, which shows the vertical artwork from one angle, and the horizontal art from another. You know what I mean. That funky old-style ridged looking holographic technique. It would be Cool.

Yeah, I know. I'm an ideas man.

I voted horizontal, in truth it had to be done. After much thread reading and deliberating it makes sense as many have said, it fits the title art and when against other boxes on the shelf will look no different.

Also I think it is what DF want, let them have it. :)

I vote for Horizontal as that would be the more logical display choice for the art that I am hoping will be displayed on the front of the box.

Another vote for horizontal. My game shelf is a mess of different kinds of game boxes anyway, and horizontal sounds like the best fit for the cover art.

Make the box a two-piece job with a slip-cover. Supply two slip covers - vertical and horizontal - to satisfy everyone ;)

Come to think of it, if Doublefine doesn't go with horizontal, I'll make my own slip-cover anyway. With blackjack and hookers!

(I guess you could also just print the box one way and provide the alternate slip cover instead of two covers + plain box. But that kind of boring thinking didn't get us where we are today!)

I also voted for horizontal!

- It will look the same from the side next to my other PC game boxes.

- It will fit the art/layout that's right for the game. I'm sure Full Throttle and Wasteland 2 went horizontal for the same reason.

I will honestly be happy with either direction, but I think DF should mock up both options and decide which one really serves the game best. The community seems split (so far).

If horizontal wins, I assume it'll be the same physical size as the vertical box, so it'll sit in nicely with our other vertical boxes?

The sole point of the box is nostalgia, and I never had a boxed version of Full Throttle, so all my old game boxes are vertical and for that reason alone I would choose vertical.

But here's more:

I also don't want the box to just have a screenshot of the game on the front (which would be the given reason to have a horizontal box art).

I would prefer a new piece of art that's custom made for the box, just like the old games. (It doesn't have to be drawn by Steve Purcell though :))

We are loosing the horizontal war, the more I see these numbers change the more I want horizontal.

Isn't that what they say? You flip a coin and whatever side it lands on you can tell what you really wanted by how disappointed or excited you end up being?

On another note, the box should have "an [...] adventure by Tim Schafer" on it.