Sign in to follow this  
Spaff

$100 backers: What kind of Big Box shall we make?

What kind of Big box shall we make?  

1,064 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of Big box shall we make?

• Vertical (Day of the Tentacle style)
    • Horizontal (Full Throttle style)

I cannot vote until I see mockups of both the proposals (or proper cover image proposals, at least).

I cannot vote until I see mockups of both the proposals (or proper cover image proposals, at least).

I agree. They can both end up good or bad regardless the orientation.

Vertical seems to make a nicer format from just a handling the box point of view. We will always have the posters and key-art in other forms. It would be nice to have the box feel like a different take on the layout/art that isn't used anywhere else.

Vertical for me, traditional because the rest of my boxes are vertical.

I wouldn't mind however getting a poster of the game art :)

I voted horizontal because I feel like the art would be too suffocated without the extra space to include the environments Shay and Vella are in. And since that image has been solidified in my head as the first thing I think of when I hear broken age. It would be tough to be accustomed to a new one. 50/50 so far on the poll, I didn't expect it to be so split

Horizontal (Full Throttle style)

!!!

Would be cool to have another Full Throttle-like box!

So.. 12,692 are 'entitled to vote', right?

Is someone checking if voter below $100 are voting too?

Just saying ;-)

At first I thought this was obvious (vertical, because I'm used to them being that way) but now I just don't know anymore. As others have said, it's difficult to decide without having a mockup or something.

I'm going to withdraw from voting for now. Doesn't Bagel or Lee have a strong opinion about this?

I vote horizontal, so I have one game to match my Full Throttle box.

Plus the retail box is vertical, a horizontal collectors box will really stand out from the crowd.

I voted horizontal because the art would fit well that way, and because Tim stated that they'll make the side art match to make it look good on the shelf next to the other big boxes no matter which choice wins (I don't have any of my old big boxes anymore, sadly (outside of the ones I got through the Kickstarter adventure craze), but I'm sure I'll end up buying the old LucasArts and Sierra big boxes again at some point).

But, that said, I'm not dead set on the choice. I'll be perfectly happy if vertical ends up winning instead.

Come on, Vertical is obviously the way to go, all our classic boxes were that way... I would *hate* an Horizontal box, it would make no sense to me.

As someone else pointed out, when the box is on its side then it wouldn't make any difference anyway. My main memories of those boxes are seeing them side by side on my shelf, and I can easily see a horizontal box working that way (although the UK Full Throttle box was vertical, too)

30% of me that thinks it would be a shame to lose the rush of nostalgia I get from seeing one of those old style boxes with the portrait aligned artwork, but it's overridden by the 70% of me that knows horizontal would be great for this game concept... the only alternative is if there was some way of doing an elaborated version of the DVD case design, which works pretty well.

It does too make a difference when it's on it's side, since you know the face art is going the wrong direction and it nags at you constantly :D

This is like asking for a sideways movie poster!

I seriously think you should fix the Full Throttle box when you remake that one! (oooh, 100% vertical Tim Schafer collection one day??)

#vertical

It does too make a difference when it's on it's side, since you know the face art is going the wrong direction and it nags at you constantly :D

This is like asking for a sideways movie poster!

You just convinced me there. Same as when a book would have the cover art printed horizontally: it just feels wrong.

The box could have two covers :)

There's the bottom part (that contains the back and the game descriptions and screenshots etc.), then you have one cover that has the horizontal box art and then a second slightly larger cover that goes right over that.

I think it should be horizontal. The first thing that came to mind, like Tim said in the video, is the artwork lends itself to a horizontal box. :)

Conspiracy?!?! How many of the votes are coming in from people who won't be getting the boxed backer copy?!?!!?

Kidding. I'm pretty much happy with either way. :-D

Fun pills and sleds for everyone.

Smiles

I voted horizontal as this seemed to be Tim's preferred choice but I second the earlier idea of having it horizontal on one side and vertical on the other somehow.

I wonder...

... whether a more useful poll might be:

* Horizontal (and I'd be upset if it was vertical)

* Horizontal (but I don't mind either way)

* No preference

* Vertical (but I don't mind either way)

* Vertical (and I'd be upset if it was horizontal)

Because while I think Horizontal is a better design choice, I wouldn't be -against- a Vertical box. And so I wouldn't want Horizontal to win if it was, say, gonna piss loads of people off, seeing as it's so close.

It's hard to tell right now whether the Horizontal 50% is made up mostly people who care a lot about it being Horizontal and similar for Vertical.

I suspect the people most invested in this choice are probably the people strongly desiring what they would consider a nostalgia-fulfilling vertical box, and I think that's worth taking into consideration.

Y'know, when it is after all just a choice about a box, not something that is going to change the game hugely.

Horizontal ftw!

Both would be good, but considering the art is more suited for a horizontal box, and how good Full Throttle looks as a horizontal box, my vote goes to that.

Question: Will the retail box be included inside the backer box, or will the backer box have its own special jewel case too?

make a horizontal box with the same dimensions as a vertical box so it matches on a shelf, including making the spine laid out properly in how it does titles, etc. That fits the game and the art better, it would be weird to not have the cover art on the cover... I actually don't love the vertical "standard" box, it just feels wrong. But I agree that it should match on a shelf - but I think its a false dichotomy, no reason why the horizontal Full Throttle box couldn't have been sized different to match the height and titling style of the traditional vertical boxes.

The back of the box could be laid out either way then, though it might be weird to not have it match orientation. But then, you could also do something creative or interesting with how the back box art was laid out - maybe something clever with the slipping pieces.