Sign in to follow this  
Spaff

$100 backers: What kind of Big Box shall we make?

What kind of Big box shall we make?  

1,064 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of Big box shall we make?

• Vertical (Day of the Tentacle style)
    • Horizontal (Full Throttle style)

V: 334

H: 333

Seems like vertical is going to win!

Time to close the poll, the majority has spoken ;)

A workaround could be: one side vertical, other side horizontal. The other side is not used anyway in most of the case. This way it will work on every orientation.

Perfect, now it's a tie, 334 votes for each. So I guess both options have to be produced now? ;)

Edit: Oh wow, I should have paid attention, it seems like it has been a tie for a few times now. Not only can't you decide Double Fine, we can't either! xD

A workaround could be: one side vertical, other side horizontal. The other side is not used anyway in most of the case. This way it will work on every orientation.

I voted for vertical, but I would rather have a horizontal front, if this half-and-half solution would mean to compromise the back side of the box. On the back I'd prefer the classic description of the game with some screen shots etc.

Perfect, now it's a tie, 334 votes for each. So I guess both options have to be produced now? ;)

Diagonal

V: 334

H: 333

Seems like vertical is going to win!

Time to close the poll, the majority has spoken ;)

Don't forget the few people with voter's remorse who wanted to change their Vertical vote to Horizontal (Myself included).

While I like vertical more if the art would fit better on horizontal I have to vote for that.

I would guess this is because of widescreen displays these days art tends to go more vertical now and that's why the boxes are becoming more vertical? Maybe.

I do like the Wasteland 2 box. I have it on top of my Willy Wonka 40th Anniversary box. My only problem with horizontal is that the way I like to display boxes (with the front box art showing) horizontal ends up taking more space and is much more difficult to organize so that it looks good. I end up stacking boxes on top of boxes which is probably not the best idea, but whatever haha- it's all gonna burn someday anyway.

That's just selfish first world problems, though. If the art looks better horizontal just use that =P

With 12692 people eligable to vote, but only 700 registered, I protest that a quorum has not been reached being only 5% participating, and therefore it is up to the REDS team to decide instead. (please pick horizontal).

Now I've had time to think on it, horizontal is definitely the way to go. It's a "modern" adventure game, so I don't mind it being different to the "classics" -- and horizontal will suit the artwork much better.

To be honest I think they were expecting the result to be not as close. It's been neck and neck the whole way so it seems like it'd be kinda weird to arbitrarily pick based on whenever they decide to close the poll.

I propose a second round of voting with 4 tiers: Strongly Prefer Vertical, Mildly Prefer Vertical, etc... so that the strength of the preference gets taken into account.

To be honest I think they were expecting the result to be not as close. It's been neck and neck the whole way so it seems like it'd be kinda weird to arbitrarily pick based on whenever they decide to close the poll.

I propose a second round of voting with 4 tiers: Strongly Prefer Vertical, Mildly Prefer Vertical, etc... so that the strength of the preference gets taken into account.

If it's pretty evenly-split, why not figure out how to give us both? Structure the box so it's reversible--I'm thinking something like the boxes Indiebox uses to ship their releases; something you can easily unfold--and then the recipient can decide how to display it.

Honestly, this wouldn't solve anything either I suspect.

Smiles

Honestly, this wouldn't solve anything either I suspect.

Smiles

Well, this isn't a very self-serving thought since I voted Horizonal, but I have a mild suspicion that although preference is evenly split, the people who want Vertical feel stronger about it on average (because it's tied to nostalgia and nostalgia is powerful). And if that's the case, I think it's fair to them to let them have their vertical box.

This is a good idea.

They should only do a portrait-orientation box if they include a fold-out full poster inside (a classic choice, like Riven's Rebel Hive poster/box combo). If that's too expensive to add in, then just do a landscape one, since anybody who wants a portrait box already has the option of buying the standard modern-size one from Nordic Games.

That's just my two cents. I won't be voting because I didn't back at the $100 level.

I got into PC games right about by the ass end of the existence of them big cardboard boxes. As such, I don't really have all that many of them, nor am I particularly contemplating obtaining a Double Fine/Lucasarts big box collection. I do have that Wasteland 2 box though. And while Yoji Shinkawa's art on my PC box of MGS is swell as hell, a horizontal Broken Age box would look more congruent next to it. Also there won't be a Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity sticker on it, probably.

Also horizontal is factually more ergonomic to human eye consumption.

Whenever I think about computer games, the vertical box comes to mind. A horizontal box reminds me of a board game.

Broken Age the Home Game!

I voted for horizontal based on current artwork. However if votes are too close to call, I'd settle for a toss of a coin decision!

Horizontal (Full Throttle style)

!!!

Well, I voted vertical because it always bothered me that Full Throttle's box, being Horizontal while ALL the others are not :P... But what really annoyed me were The Dig, Grim, Monkey 3/4 and newer Lucasarts boxes using a bigger (!!), 1 part and worse quality box. Today they are in far worse condition than the classic 2 part boxes just from opening them from the top flap.

Anyway... it's ok, really... if it's vertical great! If horizontal... cool too!!

It would be cooler if it comes with a reversible poster Horizontal/Vertical... just saying xDDD