Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Spaff

$100 backers: What kind of Big Box shall we make?

What kind of Big box shall we make?  

1,064 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of Big box shall we make?

• Vertical (Day of the Tentacle style)
    • Horizontal (Full Throttle style)

Clearly, the only correct answer is a vertical box with one of those [del]holographic[/del] lenticular covers. Tilt your head left, you see Vella, tilt your head right, you see Shay.

You are welcome.

Absolutely vertical.

Horizontal was important for Full Throttle coz the chopper motorcycle, but we haven't motorcycle in here so I think will be better to use vertical box as always before and after Full Throttle. So we can leave to him the primacy of special box (and also because I like more vertical one) :))))

Clearly, the only correct answer is a vertical box with one of those [del]holographic[/del] lenticular covers. Tilt your head left, you see Vella, tilt your head right, you see Shay.

You are welcome.

That sounds awesome! I vote this.

I'm going to have to vote vertical. It has the classic feel, as well as not being a pain in the butt to fit on the self with other games/books/dvds/other such self items, and those are two things I look for in items that I enjoy.

The only times I've felt a vertical box was the way to go was if there was just way to much to fit in the regular box. Things like the battle chests blizzard would make for collections of series. If there is so much stuff the box would need to be deeper and and end up a cube I would go wide. I just find wide to be the most inconvenient of the choices.

I voted for horizontal only because Tim said that it will look better for the art of the game. Although vertical would look better sitting on a shelf.

For some reason I had actually hoped that the art for the box would be something new - not "just" that old Vela and Shay picture.

I guess it's because I'm so old that I do remember the old boxes. They often had some kind of artwork that didn't necessarily come directly from the game, but in a way captured the essence of the feeling of the game.

And because I am an old-timer, I vote for a vertical box - you can't make a box like the old days, and then turn it on its side to fit a piece of existing artwork (lazy design??) :P

Mentally discount 1 from horizontal; I'm not a $100 backer and thoughtlessly voted. (Sorry!)

I voted for horizontal, cause it's a bit more special.

BUT: Unlike the Full Throttle box it's not really necessary to make it bigger than the other boxes, right? Just make it the same size as the DOTT, MI, S&M, GRIM boxes (including the appropriate spine artwork), just with a horizontal front artwork. Why is the FT box bigger anyway?

I voted Vertical. But this is a neck-and-neck vote. Shades of the 2000 Presidential Election (or if you're a presidential historian buff, the 1872 election).

I voted for horizontal, cause it's a bit more special.

BUT: Unlike the Full Throttle box it's not really necessary to make it bigger than the other boxes, right? Just make it the same size as the DOTT, MI, S&M, GRIM boxes (including the appropriate spine artwork), just with a horizontal front artwork. Why is the FT box bigger anyway?

The Spanish box of Full Throttle was Horizontal too, but with the same size than the rest of Lucas classics (until The Dig, that barely fits my shelve xDD ) ...

Damn! The vote is really close. I voted vertical.. but it's not really a big problem either way.

But here's more:

I also don't want the box to just have a screenshot of the game on the front (which would be the given reason to have a horizontal box art).

I would prefer a new piece of art that's custom made for the box, just like the old games. (It doesn't have to be drawn by Steve Purcell though :))

My thoughts exactly. :)

I voted Horizontal (Full Throttle style) and the only reason why is because I was a bit let down on this game. I was really expecting a game like Day of the Tenticle/GF and its cartoon type of look and it's humor. I don't think this game should be grouped with those old adventures Tim shows in the video, those games there are by far a better time for me as an adventure game lover. I'd like to have this one stand out on its own, but don't get me wrong, I don't hate or dislike the game at all. It's probably because of all the hype that I set my expectations to high.

I voted Vertical. But this is a neck-and-neck vote. Shades of the 2000 Presidential Election (or if you're a presidential historian buff, the 1872 election).

And others...

2008-08-16-deweydefeatstruman.jpg

Voted horizontal for the art and for displaying out of the shelf but I'm really otherwise a proponent for vertical boxes. Still, as long as it's a horizontal box that can be stood vertically on a shelf, I'm all cool with that. :D

Please don't do with Revolution did with BS5 and not have the game title on the side of the box, please. I want people to be able to see what games are stacked on my shelves. :)

I am amongst the ranks of those who aren't eligible to vote but think horizontal is the way to go. Works with the art, feels nice and special.

We got a vertical Full Throttle box in the UK, what a swizz! We do get Trooper beer on tap in many pubs, though.

I voted vertical, I have specific display shelves for my collectors edition items so that you can see the front instead of the spine and it wouldn't really fit in with my other games if it was horizontal..

Can you please make sure that the boxes are shipped safely? Especially for overseas people.

I paid a lot for this collector's edition and I'd hate for it to be squished

But here's more:

I also don't want the box to just have a screenshot of the game on the front (which would be the given reason to have a horizontal box art).

I would prefer a new piece of art that's custom made for the box, just like the old games. (It doesn't have to be drawn by Steve Purcell though :))

My thoughts exactly. :)

I don't think ANYone is proposing that the box art literally just be a screenshot of the opening shot. And I'm fairly sure that's not what's being suggested in talking about it going well with the art.

That said, that opening shot is sort of emblematic of the game, and it makes total sense to base a piece of box art around that same split-screen concept, and that's gotta work better horizontally, otherwise each half is going to have very little space to breathe.