Sign in to follow this  
Spaff

Episode 19: Last call

Our adventures aren’t over quite yet, and a new episode of the Double Fine Adventure is here to prove it. This one is pretty emotional, and runs from the end of last year until a few weeks ago, covering layoffs, hate campaigns, and crunching until you get sick. There’s still one more episode to go before the series comes to a close though!

[vimeo]125812413[/vimeo]

Episode 19 Show Notes

1:15 — it’s funny that Tim asks if it’s ok to drink on camera after the bar crawl in Episode 3 where he’s clearly pretty wasted.

1:56-- http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/232769/Majesco_nets_6M_from_investors_as_prominent_board_members_resign.php

4:48 — DFA episode 1 from three years ago features this quote

7:59 — If you want to see more of Gabe, check out the Amnesia Fortnight 2014 doc. He was the writer on Dear Leader

9:56 — Ben first appeared in the doc way back in episode 8.

10:47 — Ben’s big contribution to Act 1 was the Mog Chothra battle at the end of the game. Check out his Sidequest for more info on that.

11:13 — If you watch Lee’s introduction in Episode 3, Tim makes it clear that Lee may not be able to stay on the project for very long before some other project steals him away. It’s finally happened.

14:55 — Grim Fandango Remastered was released on January 27th

15:42 — Lydia left Double Fine after Act 1 wrapped. Lee handled the effects work until he left the project and the role was filled by Panya.

21:53 — Boston Market was known as Boston Chicken until 1995

22:00 — Boston Market’s Recipe for Macaroni and Cheese: 3 cups spiral shaped pasta, 2/3 cup milk, 1 lb Velveeta cheese, cubed, 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard, 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric, salt and pepper to taste. Send your results to Ray at Double Fine.

25:33 — the view from the top of Double Fine HQ

28:53 — We’ll get those blurs out of there real soon, guys!

31:22 — You might remember Vic from Episode 14 and 15 of the doc when he was the Test Lead on the game. Now he’s the Associate Producer!

31:28 — Nordic Games is a Swedish publisher. Recently they published stuff like The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and The Book of Unwritten Tales 2

35:44 — The UPS package on Anna’s seat is actually the Nordic games build sent by Oliver from the future. Obviously a lot of stress could have been avoided if they had opened it.

40:54 — That’s Mark Hamer, who replaced Lee on the art side of things for the final few months of the game’s production.

46:06 — Justin can actually transform into a phone at will, as he does in this scene.

55:50 — Levi was last seen during the Act 2 art jam in Episode 15 and was not involved in Act 2 otherwise.

58:33 — Oliver is eating Target brand frozen pizza. It smelled really good and made people hungry during the meeting.

1:00:00 — This is the longest DFA episode of the series. Until the movie.

Oh My... when 2 PP told me earlier than Youtube... I didn't expect THIS much earlier!

Sits back and presses PLAY!

Wow, haven't visited the forum for about a month and, when I do, a new 2PP vid is posted within 5 mins - now that's lucky timing!! Thank you very very much! :)

This has been such a great journey... Watching every documentary episode as it appears. I'm kinda sad it's about to end.

I played Act I with my girlfriend, which is something I'd never done before. I got her back into games when we met, she was a big fan of old school nintendo, but I introduced her to Psychonauts and she fell in love. We ended up buying matching 3DS and kind of reviving our lost nerdiness now that we're no longer ashamed of it. I'm excited to play Act II together again. This kind of game is perfect to play as a couple, because you guess together and who controls is not that important. Once, I couldn't resist and played a little of it by myself and she got really sad when I told her. I guess this game (and Double Fine in general) has helped weave our story and is a part of us at this point. I don't know if this is the best place for this post but I just wanted you guys (if you ever read this) to know... Whatever. Got embarrassed ha.

Please excuse my english, I am actually from Chile (so a spanish speaker).

Might be the best episode yet!

Looking forward to the post-mortem

Gosh, you weren't kidding about this one being emotional. What a ride it's been. Thanks for the last three years, Double Fine and 2PP.

An hour episode? Awesome! This is quite the ride and I'm so extremely happy I've made myself a part of it.

That was certainly a long one!

These last 3 years have been a crazy emotional roller-coaster, and it was an amazing experience I wouldn't trade for anything. It feels so strange that we're less than a week away from act 2's launch and this big journey is almost over, but I'm definitely looking forward to playing the game to completion!

Wow! Such a long satisfying episode! Are you okay, 2PP? Should I make you some coffee?

--Many feels at listening to everyone talk about who we lost. Some of the 12 I knew, but there were others who I didn't specifically know yet, and this episode made it clear who a few of the others were. I hope everyone is doing okay!

--Bowl of hot soup for Anna.

--Bowl of mac 'n cheese for Ray.

--Fluffed pillow for Camden.

--That look on Justin's face after the Skype meeting with Nordic. ^^

--What is Levi doing making cameos in the Broken Age documentary? GET BACK TO WORK ON BLACK LAKE!!! Right? Please?

--Hello, Ashley! It's nice to meet you! PS: You look so much like my friend Eve! Weird!

--High fives to 2PP for a great doc and a great super long episode!

A super huge thanks to all of DF and 2PP for the great work and effort they put into the game and doc! There was sweat, there were tears, I hope there wasn't any actual blood. But it has been a ride.

A happy song to everyone at the company to express my gratitude for your awesomeness, both collectively and individually, to both those who are still with us, and those who are elsewhere:

You're the best! Cheers!

Big thankyou to Doublefine and all who sail her. best company, best people, best games. I(and im sure many other fans) really appreciate the effort put in, and the commitment to making interesting and worthwhile games. Cant wait to play it in a few days.

Oh wow. Oh man. That was just great. This episode really got to me, my heart goes out to all those wonderful folks who got screwed over by the perfect storm of bad news. It was really hard to watch the first 1/3 of this one, I never thought I would see a game developer as consistently cheery as Double Fine be so desolately sad. Obviously this three year journey was rough, but I can only hope that everything will start heading the other way with this giant release.

Also, great job on 2PP for getting my favorite moment of this entire series: When everyone is meeting and sad around 22 min, the whole episode has been about everyone's struggles and stresses, then out of nowhere THE most consistently stressed looking person on the team, Ray, busts out the Boston Market line and you could just FEEL the room relax. That was beautiful.

I'm fairly certain this is my first post on here...

But from this slacker backer...

Thank you

andrew

thanks for the 3 years. its been AMAZING to watch how far this game has come. i have a similar story to a poster above - i used the documentaries & broken age as a medium to introduce my significant other to tim's work. she is now currently on act 2 of grim fandango!

Fantastic episode. Gotta admit I was crossing my fingers, hoping to hear some dirt on what publisher it was that cancelled the game (as it seemed like that /wasn't/ Majesco, right?)

Putting my lust for gossip aside, I wish Double Fine the best of luck with the launch. Hopefully the game will be a big seller both physically and on console, so you can have that big royalty meeting :D

What a wonderful episode and what a wonderful journey this has been. I can't wait to get my hands on the final build. Thanks to everyone at Double Fine for sharing your story with us.

Oliver jokes about royalties... does DF pay leads or teammembers royalties on games? I'm super curious how that works, in broad strokes. Sorry if that's too personal a question.

5:34 Looks like Steven Yeun (Glenn from The Walking Dead) at the back! :)

woooow! that was emotional! I cant believe its nearly over. it felt like a finale already.

love you guys!! good work everyone! hope you guys get some well deserved rest after the launch.

also cant f*ckin believe those "scam" jerks. what the hell...retard teenagers get a life! what the hell is wrong with people. any more caricatures of my prophet tim and it. will. kick. off guys. I sooo hope those kind of people wont deter you from doing other kickstarters/documentaries...this needs to be a part of my life.

also the layoffs...oh man. =((

That was one hell of a roller coaster. It's hard seeing people we've gotten to know and care about over the past 3 years be so stressed out and exhausted, pushing themselves so hard to make the deadline for completing the game. I'm very much excited for Act 2 as well as the final documentary episode, but it's very bittersweet to realize the whole journey is almost over. This has been an amazing ride! Much love and respect to everyone at DF. :)

Some of the 12 I knew, but there were others who I didn't specifically know yet, and this episode made it clear who a few of the others were. I know some of them are out there doing alright for themselves (hat tip to Skillman and Hackett!)
Skillman and Hackett left to do their own thing before all this happened.

Outstanding episode! Such an emotional roller coaster. It's been an incredible three years. I want to thank everyone at Double Fine and 2 Player for the amazing experience that is this documentary. I couldn't be more excited to play Act 2! :)

We all really appreciate how hard you guys have worked to get this done for us! Excited to finally play it!

Some of the 12 I knew, but there were others who I didn't specifically know yet, and this episode made it clear who a few of the others were. I know some of them are out there doing alright for themselves (hat tip to Skillman and Hackett!)
Skillman and Hackett left to do their own thing before all this happened.

Ooh really! That's new information to me. I knew that people had been laid off, so I admit I've kind of just been watching for people who are no longer with the company and assuming those must be among the 12. I guess I was wrong about those! Thanks for the clarification.

Still! I hope everyone is doing okay.

Thank you for the update.I 'm only a few minutes in, and a lot of feelings are flooding back. Much love for everybody <3

I'm so sorry to hear about the layoffs... Thoughts and prayers to all of you. Is Brandon still at DF?

Nordic have also been incredible stewards of the Red Faction franchise after THQ went under, if my experience with Guerrilla is anything to go by.

They stripped out GFWL, issued a slew of bugfixes and even some new content and have been responsive to community feedback - all for a game they didn't even develop.

I was curious about the comment that the Cancelling Publisher made to the effect that he hoped the game would still get made. Could that not indicate that another publisher might be found for the game?

I've said it before, but the Double Fine Adventure has been incredibly engaging over the last three years. For me Broken Age could have turned out to be a 30 minute animated cutscene and while I'd be disappointed that the game didn't live up to its potential I wouldn't feel scammed or ripped off in any sense of the word. (I'm prepared to be underwhelmed, but hopeful that I'll be pleasantly surprised nonetheless.)

Sign in to follow this