Sign in to follow this  
Spaff

Episode 19: Last call

I haven't posted here hardly at all in the last 3 years, but I just wanted to chime in and say this is probably the best episode yet. I work as a software developer so I've experienced some of what you guys have gone through. I remember being sick and working for 23 hours straight when our production environment refused to come back up after a major upgrade.

I'm sorry to hear you guys have been getting a lot of grief. One of the major downsides of the internet. I can't say I follow that stuff really closely, so I didn't know it was going on. Unfortunately people are more likely to be vocal with their complaints than their praise. Many of those who are enjoying what you're doing are quietly enjoying it.

So I just wanted to say I'm super excited for the final part of the game to be out, and haven't regretted for a single moment backing this game. I'd totally do it again in a heartbeat. As someone who grew up on Adventure games this ability to put my money towards the types of games I might not get to play otherwise has been fantastic.

Thank you guys for this game, and especially the documentary. It's been fantastic, and I'm sure the game will be too.

I'm really happy with what I've gotten from this and it's too bad to hear of the trouble from the cancelled game.

I'm a bit excited that there's a good chance the game will be releasing on my birthday!

just as with the game, I'm holding off from watching the documentary untill they're all released. looking forward to it

When is this episode going to be on YouTube? I feel like this one in particular could be really good PR.

When is this episode going to be on YouTube? I feel like this one in particular could be really good PR.
next Tuesday alongside the release.

I think if you watch this episode and watch DF agonising on whether to compromise on patches for the boxed copy and trying to work it out with the distributor and wanting to know the consequences of a delay and still come away with the impression that DF manages their projects in a sort of carefree, slapdash way then I don't know what to say.

I think if you watch this episode and watch DF agonising on whether to compromise on patches for the boxed copy and trying to work it out with the distributor and wanting to know the consequences of a delay and still come away with the impression that DF manages their projects in a sort of carefree, slapdash way then I don't know what to say.

Reality:

Haters/Gaters aren't even gonna watch it. They're not at all interested in having their narrative checked.

Sadder Reality:

There are people who actively want DF to suffer, so watching that stuff will not make them feel empathy, which is about as horrible as it gets.

Reality:

Haters/Gaters aren't even gonna watch it. They're not at all interested in having their narrative checked.

Sadder Reality:

There are people who actively want DF to suffer, so watching that stuff will not make them feel empathy, which is about as horrible as it gets.

absolutely but the world isn't divided into haters and people who love what DF is doing.

Thanks for the honesty, Double Fine.

Is the DF movie hinted in the notes going to be a real thing?

I hope the movie is a dramatized remake of the series starring Jack Black as Tim!

I am only half joking.

I hope the movie is a dramatized remake of the series starring Jack Black as Tim!

I am only half joking.

DFA on ice!

I've only watched halfway through yet, but wow these people look seriously tired! Take care of yourselves you double fine people!

I am only half joking.

DFA on ice!

DFA the rock musical! Also they take some liberties with the plot, and the whole team gets sucked into the game world where their programming and art talents manifest as magical powers!

Congratulations on finishing the game. You all deserved that party at the beach.

With actual sausages, showing how they're made makes you never want to eat sausages ever again. But this documentary achieves the exact opposite. Good job, also to 2PP, you've been amazing through all three years.

It's getting old, but it is also the only thing I can do; thank you! Wow. Just wow.

Both everyone at DF as well as 2PP, you have written and are writing video game history here. The story of the creation of this game is something special by itself. That DF have opened up to show it to the world and that 2PP have worked their magic with increasing skill by the episode has made it into an unforgettable experience for us backers. And hopefully for many other people in times to come. Really can't thank you enough.

I wish all those who had to be let go all the best of luck in finding a new position and much happiness in your new endeavours when you've found it. To those who have been working your buts off for the last couple of months: clap clap clap. Party, rest and party some more! Enjoy the ride of the biggest release by DF ever. I'll be sending all the positive vibes I can muster to make sure Broken Age brings DF to the bright future it so obviously deserves.

DF Adventure indeed ...

Just started watching, but that first six minutes had me crying more than I wanted to today.

Bringing up memories of when I was laid off 4 years ago. I still can't find work in my field in San Diego. Really dredging up bad memories here. :(

I don't understand what the issue is about patches. Why would Steam be required to patch the CD version if it's DRM free?

I assume the worry is about not wanting to make the game files freely available from the website. Surely it's possible to just use a diff patcher style thing?

Or am I missing the point?

Wow, this was heartbreaking...

I wish you all the best for the future and will try my best to promote Broken Age :)

Thank you Double Fine for sharing this adventure with us in such an honest way!

Thank you 2 Player Productions for committing yourself to such a long project and delivering such an outstanding documentary!

Looking forward to play Act 2 :)

I've been trying to watch this episode for the whole day now and I haven't gotten past the 12 minute mark. The Vimeo is not strong in me today. If only Youtube sucked only half as much, then I could blame my internet connection. Anybody else having similar problems?

I don't understand what the issue is about patches. Why would Steam be required to patch the CD version if it's DRM free?

I assume the worry is about not wanting to make the game files freely available from the website. Surely it's possible to just use a diff patcher style thing?

As mentioned in the episode, it would indeed be possible to make an incremental patch in stead of distributing the full new version, but they don't have their tool chain set up for that. It would have been a lot of work to set that up for which they didn't have the time. The other option would have been to distribute the full new version from a locked website, requiring a login. But setting that up would also have taken a lot of time.

The solution was to push back the build for the physical disc by a week to give the team the time they needed to create a build that wouldn't require a day 1 patch to be of any decent quality. It's not very nice to ask people to join Steam for an update that is more or less required to play the game. It's far less of a problem to ask people to join Steam if they want to get an update that adds polish.

Just finished watching. Wow. Terrific episode. Aside from some pacing issues this is definitely one of my favorite episodes of the documentary series.

I can't wait to get my hands on this game. Again, though I was one of the people who found the first Act rather easy, I have been anxiously awaiting part 2. Even if Act II doesn't meet my challenge expectations, I'm sure to get an amazing, awesome story from Tim which is the whole reason I backed the project in the first place.

You guys are awesome. Seriously, keep up the good work. <3

As mentioned in the episode, it would indeed be possible to make an incremental patch in stead of distributing the full new version, but they don't have their tool chain set up for that. It would have been a lot of work to set that up for which they didn't have the time. The other option would have been to distribute the full new version from a locked website, requiring a login. But setting that up would also have taken a lot of time.

Now, Oliver probably knows a lot better than me, so take this with a grain of salt. I have no idea why they can't just bundle an rdelta (or xdelta) payload with the standard software used for those. (Create one of the original and updated install directories.) The programs are GPL, so very easy to get a hold of. I've used that myself with fairly nooby customers.

Now, Oliver probably knows a lot better than me, so take this with a grain of salt. I have no idea why they can't just bundle an rdelta (or xdelta) payload with the standard software used for those. (Create one of the original and updated install directories.) The programs are GPL, so very easy to get a hold of. I've used that myself with fairly nooby customers.

Mm, exactly what I was thinking. It takes next to no extra effort to use an existing tool like that; nothing needs to be set up in advance in their toolchain, just package up a delta patch when it's ready.

That said, I can definitely understand the reasoning behind getting the master CD right without customers requiring a day one patch.

Ask me about Loom

Seriously I hope Justin playing Loom there was an hint at something ;)

Thanks to everyone at DF for putting in the long days (and nights). This was an excellent episode and made me realize what a big undertaking this was for the studio. It made me mad when I saw the part about Tim and DF getting hassled by people where they were saying that you "just took the money". It's pretty clear that The DF team took a big risk and put in a lot of effort to make this happen for the fans. I really hope that the team knows how much the true fans really appreciate their work. 3 years is actually a really quick turn around for a quality game especially with a smaller team.

I am an original backer so I have a DRM Free copy but I am glad that you guys offered a physical copy and I just preordered mine on amazon.

Mm, exactly what I was thinking. It takes next to no extra effort to use an existing tool like that; nothing needs to be set up in advance in their toolchain, just package up a delta patch when it's ready.

That said, I can definitely understand the reasoning behind getting the master CD right without customers requiring a day one patch.

I was kinda confused as well. Maybe the infrastructure problems are more about being comfortable with peak load? I don't see why there'd need to be login stuff for patch distribution since it's only going to patch the full game.

Great episode and great work all.

Hopefully some relaxing can be indulged in, and I look forward to playing Act 2, and introducing the game to as many other people as I can.

Smiles

Thanks for everything, it's been an amazing journey. I haven't played Broken Age yet, but what you gave us these last 3 years is huge, I can't believe I was able to see this for only 15 bucks.

Thank you again, and see you very soon.

Wow, this one was a thriller! So glad it seemed to work out for you guys in the end. Can't wait to play the game!

Sign in to follow this